Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help it works but its to SLOW Post 302181455 by era on Thursday 3rd of April 2008 03:17:08 AM
Old 04-03-2008
The shell is not very good at arithmetic, so for small numbers, I prefer working with just a string -- grow the string by one character in the loop, and once the string is x characters long, quit. But here, obviously, the number is large enough that the traditional way of doing this is better.

Code:
n=0
while whatever; do
  n=`expr 1 + $n`
  case $n in *00) wait;; esac
  ... go on
done

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

slow ftp

On one of of solaris 7 boxes whenever i telnet or ftp it takes sometime before i get the prompt...any quick ideas where I should look...Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: suntan
3 Replies

2. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Slow

The site has gone slow for quite some time... Can you do somethin abt it (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DPAI
2 Replies

3. SCO

Slow cd response

Hi All We have one SCO Server here and it never gives us any trouble. Until Now!! Well its not earth shattering but we have one user who is complaining of a very slow response time when changing to his Home Directory. Other users who have similar profiles are OK. I have su'd to this user and I can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: JohnOB
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

scp is slow

All of the sudden scp got really slow ... from 2-3 seconds to 30 seconds. This happened for 5 hours, and then it went back to running fast. Why? If I use the -q qualifier which "Disables the progress meter" could this have any adverse effect? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tomstone_98
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How ls | wc -l works?

ls displays files in tabbed output. Say a directory contains 3 files. ls will list all 3 in one line. So, I expect ls | wc -l to give 1, but it counts the nr of files and gives 3. Can someone explain how this works? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishmaths
3 Replies

6. Programming

how this works?

pls explain me how this works.... DECODE (SUBSTR (field, 1, 1),'''', '''''' || field || '''','''' || field || '''') here field is a column in an oracle table.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijay_0209
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

>./a.pl works, >a.pl - does not

When I try to execute script, I get message: >aa.pl zsh: command not found: aa.pl but >./aa.pl works OK. What to change in environment to force the former way to work? Thank you, Alex Z (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zzol
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How this works?

I have a program............ #include<stdio.h> #include<unistd.h> main() { if(fork == 0) { printf("Hi every body:p!!!!!!!!!!"); } } This program works with out any error. here fork is not a system call. It just act as a variable.But how it works without declaring it? What data type it... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: carolsanjeevi
19 Replies
EXPR(1) 								FSF								   EXPR(1)

NAME
expr - evaluate expressions SYNOPSIS
expr EXPRESSION expr OPTION DESCRIPTION
--help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit Print the value of EXPRESSION to standard output. A blank line below separates increasing precedence groups. EXPRESSION may be: ARG1 | ARG2 ARG1 if it is neither null nor 0, otherwise ARG2 ARG1 & ARG2 ARG1 if neither argument is null or 0, otherwise 0 ARG1 < ARG2 ARG1 is less than ARG2 ARG1 <= ARG2 ARG1 is less than or equal to ARG2 ARG1 = ARG2 ARG1 is equal to ARG2 ARG1 != ARG2 ARG1 is unequal to ARG2 ARG1 >= ARG2 ARG1 is greater than or equal to ARG2 ARG1 > ARG2 ARG1 is greater than ARG2 ARG1 + ARG2 arithmetic sum of ARG1 and ARG2 ARG1 - ARG2 arithmetic difference of ARG1 and ARG2 ARG1 * ARG2 arithmetic product of ARG1 and ARG2 ARG1 / ARG2 arithmetic quotient of ARG1 divided by ARG2 ARG1 % ARG2 arithmetic remainder of ARG1 divided by ARG2 STRING : REGEXP anchored pattern match of REGEXP in STRING match STRING REGEXP same as STRING : REGEXP substr STRING POS LENGTH substring of STRING, POS counted from 1 index STRING CHARS index in STRING where any CHARS is found, or 0 length STRING length of STRING + TOKEN interpret TOKEN as a string, even if it is a keyword like `match' or an operator like `/' ( EXPRESSION ) value of EXPRESSION Beware that many operators need to be escaped or quoted for shells. Comparisons are arithmetic if both ARGs are numbers, else lexicograph- ical. Pattern matches return the string matched between ( and ) or null; if ( and ) are not used, they return the number of characters matched or 0. AUTHOR
Written by Mike Parker. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for expr is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and expr programs are properly installed at your site, the command info expr should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 4.5.3 February 2003 EXPR(1)