Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How do I feed numbers from awk(1) to tail(1)? Post 302181368 by ropers on Wednesday 2nd of April 2008 08:26:57 PM
Old 04-02-2008
Arrgh!!! Smilie Nevermind the aforesaid, I've just figured things out -- turns out I was wrong when I wrote that the lines 11 and 12 don't contain "begin" or "end". Both lines contain the word "sender".

The carriage returns were a total red herring. I was wrong when I thought that removing them had fixed things. It turns out that when I tested grep after removing them I had only grepped "begin" and not "begin|end". Smilie

So it's probably not a good idea to grep for "end" in this case without throwing away the email headers first. In my initial --only partially successful-- approach this also was unnecessary, because tail lends itself really well to clipping off the upper parts of the file without even looking at them (and uudecode ignores anything boyond the first uuencoded file, so the rest can be left as it).

On a more positive note, I've found that
Code:
 grep -n -E "begin|end" /tmp/tmp.mail | awk -F : '{print $1}' | paste -s -d ",\n" - | sed 's=\(.*\)=sed -n "\1p" /tmp/tmp.mail | uudecode='| sh -

does indeed work -- though it complains:
Code:
uudecode: stdin: No `begin' line

which is entirely understandable, because the command line
Code:
sed -n "11,12p" /tmp/tmp.mail | uudecode

that's generated and passed to sh is bogus, and of course line 11 has no "begin" in it.

I still don't fully understand the nested sed stuff though. I'll try some more and/or come back with more questions. Also, if someone has a hint to get my initial approach with awk and tail to work, that would be really cool. Smilie

But again, many thanks so far. Smilie

Last edited by ropers; 04-02-2008 at 09:51 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tail -f, awk and redirection

I want to run tail -f to continuously monitor a log file, outputing a specific field to a second log file. I can get the first portion to work with the following command: tail -f log | awk '{if ($1 == "Rough") print $5}' also: awk '{if ($1 == "Rough") print $5}' <(tail -f log) The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mfajer
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace last form feed with line feed

Hi I have a file with lots of line feeds and form feeds (page break). Need to replace last occurrence of form feed (created by - echo "\f" ) in the file with line feed. Please advise how can i achieve this. TIA Prvn (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract URL from RSS Feed in AWK

Hi, I have following data file; <outline title="Matt Cutts" type="rss" version="RSS" xmlUrl="http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/feed/" htmlUrl="http://www.mattcutts.com/blog"/> <outline title="Stone" text="Stone" type="rss" version="RSS" xmlUrl="http://feeds.feedburner.com/STC-Art"... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: fahdmirza
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK / tail Issue

Hello, I am using a tail command to fetch the line before last in a log file. the two last lines are as followed: 11-01-16 11:55:45.174 | CClientObject::InitTraceLevelInCache Starting CClientObject::InitTraceLevelInCache End I am doing a awk statement to gather only the numeric... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LiorAmitai
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk remove line feed

Hi, I've this file: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, I need to remove the line feed LF every 3 row. 1,2,3, 4,5,6, Thanks in advance, Alfredo (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alfreale
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix, awk to read .ksh feed

I need some advice, I have live feed containing xml messages which means there is new messages every minute. I need a script that will run every 2 hours using the current time minus 2 hours ( which I able to do) However I have problem with the date formatting i.e. One date is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: INHF
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk for replacing line feed

Hello all, I have data like "1"|"My_name"|"My_Email"|"My_Last"|My_other" "2"|"My_name"|"My_Email"|"My_Last"|My_other" "3"|"My_name"|"My_Email"|" "|My_other" "1"|"My_name"|"My_Email"|"My_Last"|My_other" Need output like "1"|"My_name"|"My_Email"|"My_Last"|My_other"... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: lokaish23
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk issue splitting a fixed-width file containing line feed in data

Hi Forum. I have the following script that splits a large fixed-width file into smaller multiple fixed-width files based on input segment type. The main command in the script is: awk -v search_col_pos=$search_col_pos -v search_str_len=$search_str_len -v segment_type="$segment_type"... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk Command to add Carriage Return and Line Feed

Hello, Can someone please share a Simple AWK command to append Carriage Return & Line Feed to the end of the file, If the Carriage Return & Line Feed does not exist ! Thanks (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: rosebud123
16 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Shell script to tail a file with unknown numbers

Hello, I would like to write script to tail a file for different environment But the number of lines are keep changing How can I write a script For example: env could : A, B or C and log files could be a.log, b.log and c.log with the number of lines can change say sometimes it 100 last... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: encrypt_decrypt
9 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)