Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to get BASH to interpret pipes in a string correctly? Post 302181316 by neked on Wednesday 2nd of April 2008 03:12:05 PM
Old 04-02-2008
Thanks Jim!

I put the "eval" operator in my fork_process function like this:

Code:
function fork_process {
    CMD=$1
    PIDFILE=$2
    if check_process $PIDFILE; then
        eval "$CMD &"
        echo $! > $PIDFILE
        echo "new pid in $PIDFILE on `date`" >> $TAILER_LOG
    fi;
}

And that solved the problem.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

PIPEs and Named PIPEs (FIFO) Buffer size

Hello! How I can increase or decrease predefined pipe buffer size? System FreeBSD 4.9 and RedHat Linux 9.0 Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jus
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How Do We Interpret This ?

ksh $ETL_XXX/bin/filename.ksh wf_workflowname . Which is used in post session command. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dummy_needhelp
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Please interpret.

Hi guys, I have no idea on unix but suddenly, my cobol programs calls a unix script that i know nothing about. can you guys interpret these lines for me? i know its a print command but I want to actually know how many copies it prints. qprt -da -P $1 -t '6' -i '6' -l '70' $2 qprt -da... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: supacow
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Tarring not un Tarring correctly

HI All, Im encountering behaviour that is not correct for my requirements when I untar a file. Im using the below command to tar up files from various folders to the ARCHIVE folder as below... tar -cvf "$ARCHIVE_PATH"/"$dte_tar_filename" "$LOG_PATH" "$PROCESSED_PATH2" "$ERROR_PATH" ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: satnamx
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can someone interpret this -- not sure

Was wondering if someone could interpret this for me -- I'm not sure what everything means. It's a shell script from my bash book: cd () { builtin cd "$@" es=$? echo "$OLDPWD ->$PWD" return $es } what I don't quite understand is the "$@". I think, if I understand... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect an awk string output to a script input with pipes

Hi, I have a function in a bash script that returns a string after some operations using awk. The following code returns 555 $VARIABLE="EXAMPLE" get_number $VARIABLE this value I'd like to pass it as a second argument of another script with the following usage myscript.sh <param1>... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rid
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash does not wrap long lines correctly

Ksh is my default shell, but I want use the bash shell since its convenient to me. When I type a long command line in a terminal, it does not wrap to the next line when I reach the end of the line and it wraps onto the same line, overwriting my prompt and the rest of what I typed. $... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: senthil.ak
5 Replies

8. Programming

Fork and Execvp Not Executing Bash Commands From C correctly.

I had been looking at page 75 of this online book: http://richard.esplins.org/static/downloads/linux_book.pdf I've used the system function in C to call bash commands before, but wanted to learn this way too. The solution in the book worked perfectly. However, I tried changing the simple "ls -l... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Azrael
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Who -r interpret?

I booted into single user mode with /usr/sbin/reboot -- -s but after doing a control -d my who -r shows run-level 3 Nov 17 14:07 3 0 S I was expecting it to show run-level S why is this still in run level 3? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: goya
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Escape bash-special character in a bash string

Hi, I am new in bash scripting. In my work, I provide support to several users and when I connect to their computers I use the same admin and password, so I am trying to create a script that will only ask me for the IP address and then connect to the computer without having me to type the user... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arcoa05
5 Replies
DELUGED(1)						      General Commands Manual							DELUGED(1)

NAME
deluged - a bittorrent client daemon SYNOPSIS
deluged [options] DESCRIPTION
Deluge utilizes a client/server model, with 'deluged' being the daemon process and 'deluge' being used to launch a user-interface. By default, 'deluged' will run as a daemon, to prevent this you can run deluged with the -d option. This option is useful for running del- uged with the start-stop-daemon. OPTIONS
--version Show program's version number and exit. -h, --help Show this help message and exit. -p PORT, --port=PORT Port daemon will listen on, default is 58846 -i INTERFACE, --interface=INTERFACE Interface daemon will listen for bittorrent connections on, this should be an IP address -u UI_INTERFACE, --ui-interface=UI_INTERFACE Interface daemon will listen for UI connections on, this should be an IP address -d, --do-not-daemonize Do not daemonize -c CONFIG, --config=CONFIG Sets the configuration path. -l LOGFILE, --logfile=LOGFILE Output to designated logfile instead of stdout -P PIDFILE, --pidfile=PIDFILE Use pidfile to store process id -L LOGLEVEL, --loglevel=LOGLEVEL Set the log level (default is error): none, info, warning, error, critical, debug -q --quiet Sets the log level to 'none', this is the same as `-L none` SEE ALSO
Homepage: http://www.deluge-torrent.org/ AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Andrew Resch <andrewresch@gmail.com>. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU General Public License, Version 3 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation 1.3.3 July 2011 DELUGED(1)