Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Converting Binary decimal coded values to Ascii Values Post 302181258 by unilover on Wednesday 2nd of April 2008 12:33:15 PM
Old 04-02-2008
if your inputfile contains ONLY EBCDIC characters, dd in=inputfile out=outputfile conv=ascii will do the job.

If you're not getting what you expect, your data is either totally or partially NOT EBCDIC!!!

Can you verify it?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

unix script for converting a decimal to binary

Could anybody please help me in writing a script in unix for converting a decimal number to binary number. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: softy
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Converting ASCII to Binary mode

Dear All, Business Users are transfering ( FTP ) a CSV file into the IBM AIX box with transfer mode as ASCII. But I want to convert the CSV file from ASCII mode into binary mode, as my script expects file in binary mode. Is it possible to do through Unix commands? Thanks in Advance, RK (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: srajeshmca
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert ascii values into ascii characters

Hi gurus, I have a file in unix with ascii values. I need to convert all the ascii values in the file to ascii characters. File contains nearly 20000 records with ascii values. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeeppvk
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Decimal to BCD (Binary Coded Decimal)

Anybody please help me... Design an algorithm that accepts an input a decimal number and converts it into BCD (Binary Coded Decimal) representation. Also, draw its Flow Chart. This is a unix qn... plz post algorithm for that :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: caramba
1 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

Decimal to BCD (Binary Coded Decimal)

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Design an algorithm that accepts an input a decimal number and converts it into BCD (Binary... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: caramba
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting hex to ascii/decimal

I am writing a bash script to do some parsing on a log and I am running into a problem when it comes to converting only certain sections of the file from hex to ascii or hex to decimal. Data Example: The hex values after Hardware and SW Version I need to convert from Hex to ASCII and the... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shiftkey
16 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting odd values to even values(or vice-versa) located in a column

Hello All, I have a below data in a .csv file where all rows where col1 is A, col2 is odd numbers, similarly even numbers for all rows where col1 is B. Note that my data has some other columns(not shown here) too (around 100) after col2. Tool,Data A,1 A,3 A,5 .... so on B,2 B,4 .... ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting a binary file to ascii and vice versa?

Hi All, I have a binary file which is being exported from a Database, and i need to convert that to ASCII format. How can i achieve that? And this solution should work for any file which is given to us; means they will give different files from different tables. Thanks in advance. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: baranisachin
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk file to read values from Db2 table replacing hard coded values

Hi, I want to replace a chain of if-else statement in an old AWK file with values from Db2 table or CSV file. The part of code is below... if (start_new_rec=="true"){ exclude_user="false"; user=toupper($6); match(user, "XXXXX."); if (RSTART ==2 ) { ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: asandy1234
9 Replies
WMC(1)							      Wine Developers Manual							    WMC(1)

NAME
wrc - Wine Message Compiler SYNOPSIS
wmc [options] [inputfile] DESCRIPTION
wmc compiles messages from inputfile into FormatMessage[AW] compatible format encapsulated in a resourcescript format. wmc outputs the data either in a standard .bin formatted binary file, or can generated inline resource data. wmc takes only one inputfile as argument (see BUGS). The inputfile normally has extension .mc. The messages are read from standard input if no inputfile is given. If the outputfile is not specified with -o, then wmc will write the output to inputfile.{rc,h}. The outputfile is named wmc.tab.{rc,h} if no inputfile was given. OPTIONS
-B x Set output byte-order x={n[ative], l[ittle], b[ig]}. Default is n[ative]. -c Set 'custom-bit' in message-code values. -d NON-FUNCTIONAL; Use decimal values in output -D Set debug flag. This results is a parser trace and a lot of extra messages. -h Print an informative usage message. -H file Write headerfile to file. Default is inputfile.h. -i Inline messagetable(s). This option skips the generation of all .bin files and writes all output into the .rc file. This encoding is parsable with wrc(1). -o file Output to file. Default is inputfile.rc. -u Assume that the inputfile is in unicode. -U Write resource output in unicode formatted messagetable(s). -v Show all supported codepages and languages. -V Print version end exit. -W Enable pedantic warnings. EXTENSIONS
The original syntax is extended to support codepages more smoothly. Normally, codepages are based on the DOS-codepage from the language setting. The original syntax only allows the destination codepage to be set. However, this is not enough for non-DOS systems which do not use unicode source-files. A new keyword Codepages is introduced to set both input and output codepages to anything one wants for each language. The syntax is similar to the other constructs: Codepages '=' '(' language '=' cpin ':' cpout ... ')' The language is the numerical language-ID or the alias set with LanguageNames. The input-codepage cpin and output-codepage cpout are the numerical codepage-IDs. There can be multiple mapping within the definition and the definition may occur more than once. AUTHORS
wmc was written by Bertho A. Stultiens. BUGS
The message compiler should be able to have multiple inputfiles and combine them into one outputfile. This would enable the splitting of languages into separate files. Unicode detection of the input is suboptimal, to say the least. It should recognize byte-order-marks (BOM) and decide what to do. Decimal output is completely lacking. Don't know whether it should be implemented because it is a, well, non-informative format change. It is recognized on the commandline for some form of compatibility. AVAILABILITY
wmc is part of the wine distribution, which is available through WineHQ, the wine development headquarters, at http://www.winehq.org/. SEE ALSO
wine(1), wrc(1) Wine 1.2-rc6 October 2005 WMC(1)