Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Concatenating records from 2 files Post 302181251 by ShawnMilo on Wednesday 2nd of April 2008 12:19:14 PM
Old 04-02-2008
By concatenation, do you mean you're trying to take row 1 from file A and file B and make them into one long line, then repeat with row 2 from files A and B, and so on?

So if file A and file B have 300 rows each, you'll have a single file of 300 rows, where the contents of each row is a concatenation of the rows?

If so, what if the files have a different number of rows?

Please provide sample input and sample expected output.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

concatenating x files into a one...

... i have 4 files to concatenate but in a certain order and i wanted to do it in a shorter one line command , if possible ! 4 files : file , file0 , file1 and file2 file1 into file2 file0 into the result file into the result thanks in advance Christian (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nicol
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

concatenating static string to records in data file

I just need to add a static ID to each output record so the users will be able to tell which group records in combined flatfiles come from I have the static ID in a bourne variable. I tried awk '{print "${GroupID}" $0}' infile > outfile But I ended up with the string ${GroupID} instead of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gillbates
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

negatively concatenating files

That subject might sound weird. What I have is two files. One looks like: rf17 pts/59 Jul 10 08:43 (10.72.11.22) 27718 pts/59 0:00 b rf17 pts/3 Jul 10 10:03 (10.72.11.22) 32278 pts/3 1:43 b rf58 pts/29 Jul 10 10:09 (10.72.11.51) 44220 pts/29 0:06 b rf58 pts/61 Jul 10 08:45 (10.72.11.51)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raidzero
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenating two files

HI I need to concatenate two files which are having headers. the result file should contain only the header from first file only and the header in second file have to be skipped. file1: name age sriram 23 file2 name age prabu 25 result file should be name age sriram 23 prabu ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sriramprabu
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Concatenating Text Files

Hi, I have 30 text files on UNIX that I need to concatenate and create one big file. Could anyone provide me with a solution (if one exist)? I need the answer asap (today). Thanks a lot. Denis (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: 222001459
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two files with different number of records and output only the Extra records from file1

Hi Freinds , I have 2 files . File 1 |nag|HYd|1|Che |esw|Gun|2|hyd |pra|bhe|3|hyd |omu|hei|4|bnsj |uer|oeri|5|uery File 2 |nag|HYd|1|Che |esw|Gun|2|hyd |uer|oi|3|uery output : (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: i150371485
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenating 3 files into a single file

I have 3 files File1 C1 C2 c3 File 2 C1 c2 c3 File 3 C1 c2 c3 Now i want to have File1 as C1 c2 c3 I File2 as C1 c2 c3 O File3 as c1 c2 c3 D and these 3 files should be concatenated into a single file how can it be done in unix script? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Codesearcher
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenating two files in required format

Firstly one of my mysql queries will yeild following output +-------+---------------------+-------------------+----------------------------------------------------------------------------+ | ID | PLATFORM | SORT_NAME | DESCRIPTION ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies
pamdeinterlace(1)					      General Commands Manual						 pamdeinterlace(1)

NAME
pamdeinterlace - remove ever other row from a PAM/PNM image SYNOPSIS
pamdeinterlace [-takeodd] [-takeeven] N [infile] You can use the minimum unique abbreviation of the options. You can use two hyphens instead of one. You can separate an option name from its value with white space instead of an equals sign. DESCRIPTION
pamdeinterlace Removes all the even-numbered or odd-numbered rows from the input PNM or PAM image. Specify which with the -takeeven and -takeodd options. This can be useful if the image is a video capture from an interlaced video source. In that case, each row shows the subject 1/60 second before or after the two rows that surround it. If the subject is moving, this can detract from the quality of the image. Because the resulting image is half the height of the input image, you will then want to use pamstretch or pnmscale to restore it to its normal height: pamdeinterlace myimage.ppm | pamstretch -yscale=2 >newimage.ppm OPTIONS
-takeodd Take the odd-numbered rows from the input and put them in the output. The rows are numbered starting at zero, so the first row in the output is the second row from the input. You cannot specify both -takeeven and -takeodd. -takeeven Take the even-numbered rows from the input and put them in the output. The rows are numbered starting at zero, so the first row in the output is the first row from the input. This is the default. You cannot specify both -takeeven and -takeodd. SEE ALSO
pamstretch(1), pnmscale(1) 11 November 2001 pamdeinterlace(1)