Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Concatenating records from 2 files Post 302181251 by ShawnMilo on Wednesday 2nd of April 2008 12:19:14 PM
Old 04-02-2008
By concatenation, do you mean you're trying to take row 1 from file A and file B and make them into one long line, then repeat with row 2 from files A and B, and so on?

So if file A and file B have 300 rows each, you'll have a single file of 300 rows, where the contents of each row is a concatenation of the rows?

If so, what if the files have a different number of rows?

Please provide sample input and sample expected output.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

concatenating x files into a one...

... i have 4 files to concatenate but in a certain order and i wanted to do it in a shorter one line command , if possible ! 4 files : file , file0 , file1 and file2 file1 into file2 file0 into the result file into the result thanks in advance Christian (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nicol
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

concatenating static string to records in data file

I just need to add a static ID to each output record so the users will be able to tell which group records in combined flatfiles come from I have the static ID in a bourne variable. I tried awk '{print "${GroupID}" $0}' infile > outfile But I ended up with the string ${GroupID} instead of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gillbates
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

negatively concatenating files

That subject might sound weird. What I have is two files. One looks like: rf17 pts/59 Jul 10 08:43 (10.72.11.22) 27718 pts/59 0:00 b rf17 pts/3 Jul 10 10:03 (10.72.11.22) 32278 pts/3 1:43 b rf58 pts/29 Jul 10 10:09 (10.72.11.51) 44220 pts/29 0:06 b rf58 pts/61 Jul 10 08:45 (10.72.11.51)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raidzero
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenating two files

HI I need to concatenate two files which are having headers. the result file should contain only the header from first file only and the header in second file have to be skipped. file1: name age sriram 23 file2 name age prabu 25 result file should be name age sriram 23 prabu ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sriramprabu
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Concatenating Text Files

Hi, I have 30 text files on UNIX that I need to concatenate and create one big file. Could anyone provide me with a solution (if one exist)? I need the answer asap (today). Thanks a lot. Denis (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: 222001459
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two files with different number of records and output only the Extra records from file1

Hi Freinds , I have 2 files . File 1 |nag|HYd|1|Che |esw|Gun|2|hyd |pra|bhe|3|hyd |omu|hei|4|bnsj |uer|oeri|5|uery File 2 |nag|HYd|1|Che |esw|Gun|2|hyd |uer|oi|3|uery output : (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: i150371485
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenating 3 files into a single file

I have 3 files File1 C1 C2 c3 File 2 C1 c2 c3 File 3 C1 c2 c3 Now i want to have File1 as C1 c2 c3 I File2 as C1 c2 c3 O File3 as c1 c2 c3 D and these 3 files should be concatenated into a single file how can it be done in unix script? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Codesearcher
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenating two files in required format

Firstly one of my mysql queries will yeild following output +-------+---------------------+-------------------+----------------------------------------------------------------------------+ | ID | PLATFORM | SORT_NAME | DESCRIPTION ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies
runacct(1M)															       runacct(1M)

NAME
runacct - run daily accounting SYNOPSIS
[mmdd[state]] DESCRIPTION
runacct is the main daily accounting shell procedure. It is normally initiated via cron(1M). runacct processes connect, fee, disk, and process accounting files. It also prepares summary files for prdaily or billing purposes. runacct takes care not to damage active accounting files or summary files in the event of errors. It records its progress by writing descriptive diagnostic messages into When an error is detected, a message is written to mail (see mail(1), mailx(1), or elm(1)) is sent to and and runacct terminates. runacct uses a series of lock files to protect against re-invocation. The files and are used to prevent simultaneous invocation, and is used to prevent more than one invocation per day. runacct breaks its processing into separate, restartable states using to remember the last state completed. It accomplishes this by writ- ing the state name into runacct then looks in to see what it has done and to determine what to process next. states are executed in the following order: Move active accounting files into working files. Verify integrity of file, correcting date changes if necessary. Produce connect session records in format. Convert process accounting records into format. Merge the connect and process accounting records. Convert output of chargefee into format and merge with connect and process accounting records. Merge disk accounting records with connect, process, and fee accounting records. Merge the daily total accounting records in with the summary total accounting records in Produce command summaries. Any installation-dependent accounting programs can be included here. Cleanup temporary files and exit. To restart runacct after a failure, first check the file for diagnostics, then fix up any corrupted data files such as or The files and file must be removed before runacct can be restarted. The argument mmdd is necessary if runacct is being restarted, and specifies the month and day for which runacct will rerun the accounting. Entry point for processing is based on the contents of to override this, include the desired state on the command line to designate where processing should begin. EXAMPLES
To start runacct. To restart runacct. To restart runacct at a specific state. WARNINGS
Normally it is not a good idea to restart runacct in its state. Run manually, then restart via: If runacct failed in its state, remove the last file because it will not be complete. FILES
SEE ALSO
mail(1), acct(1M), acctcms(1M), acctcom(1M), acctcon(1M), acctmerg(1M), acctprc(1M), acctsh(1M), cron(1M), fwtmp(1M), acct(2), acct(4), utmp(4). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
runacct(1M)