Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting passing asterisk to a script as variable Post 302180929 by cfajohnson on Tuesday 1st of April 2008 01:28:55 PM
Old 04-01-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKnight
Nope, still doesn't work... I tried that one as well. It doesn't expand the file list anymore, but then I have the backslash as part of my variable (see below for an example).

I'm not sure it's the shell that's expanding the variable:

The shell is the only thing that does expand wildcards, unless you have written something else to do it.
Quote:
Code:
$ echo "some_command \* options"
some_command \* options
$ echo "some_command * options"
some_command * options

The wildcard will not be expanded if it is quoted.
Quote:
meanwhile, by adding "echo $COMMAND" to my script, I get:

Code:
./test-script "some_command * options"
some_command ...list of files... options

./test-script "some_command \* options"
some_command \* options

I tried running the script from bash and ksh with the same results.

Always quote your variables (unless you have a good reason not to):
Code:
ssh "$HOST" "$COMMAND"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Passing a variable into an awk script

Hello all, I'm trying to run a script of this format - for i in $(cat <file>); do grep $i <file1>|awk '{print $i, $1, $2}' It's not working - does anyone know how this can be done? Khoom (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Khoomfire
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

passing variable to my script

Hello everybody: Im trying to run the following script on my sol9 machine: line='' ((lineCount= 0)) export lineCount more /tmp/MSISDNs | wc -l > /tmp/tmp cat /tmp/tmp | read lineCount export lineCount; while (( lineCount > 0 )) do line= tail -$lineCount... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aladdin
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to ignore * (asterisk) in a variable

I am using a shell script to read SQL statements stored in a DB2 table and write them out to a file. The problem I have is that some SQL statements have an "*" in them which gets resolved as the list of files in the current directory when I run the script. How can I prevent the "*" from being... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bradtri2
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing asterisk As A Parameter

I have written a Shell Script Program which accepts 3 parameters as shown below: ./calc 20 + 2 in the above line ./calc is the Shell Script itself with 3 parameters, namely: 20 + and 2. Well, now let's look inside the Script: result=$1$2$3 echo $result The output will be as... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: indiansoil
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to assign * asterisk to variable?

How can I assign asterisk to variable I have try a="\* " but I was not succesful :( any idea ? thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kvok
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variable from shell script to python script

I have a shell script main.sh which inturn call the python script ofdm.py, I want to pass two variables from shell script to python script for its execution. How do i achieve this ????? Eg: main.sh a=3 b=3; c= a+b exec python ofdm.py ofdm.py d=c+a Thanks in Anticipation (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shashi792
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

help passing variable from script

Hello, How can I pass a variable into a 2nd file? I'm running a script: ls -la $1 >pem99 cat pem99 | awk '{ print $3}' >us99 cat us99 | read us98 This then tells me the owner of a file. my second file is: echo OWNER GROUP OTHERS echo echo --data-- $us98 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Grueben
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variable as an argument to another script

Hi, I am trying to pass a variable as an argument to another script. While substitution of variable, I am facing a problem. varaiable "a" value should be -b "FPT MAIN". When we pass "a" to another script, we are expecing it to get substitue as ./test.sh -b "FPT MAIN". But, it is getting... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manasa Pradeep
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to use asterisk in variable

Hi All, I am having a challange to pass the asterisk in the variable. Basically, I am writing a shell script to check if a marker file exists but when I am assigning the varialbe it cannot use the wildcard asterisk as expected, therefore, my program is always outputs "Marker file is not... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: express14
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variable from called script to the caller script

Hi all, Warm regards! I am in a difficult situation here. I have been trying to create a shell script which calls another shell script inside. Here is a simplified version of the same. Calling Script. #!/bin/ksh # want to run as a different process... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: LoneRanger
6 Replies
ASTGENKEY(8)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						      ASTGENKEY(8)

NAME
astgenkey - generates keys for for Asterisk IAX2 RSA authentication SYNOPSIS
astgenkey [ -q ] [ -n ] [ keyname ] DESCRIPTION
astgenkey This script generates an RSA private and public key pair in PEM format for use by Asterisk. The private key should be kept a secret, as it can be used to fake your system's identity. Thus by default (without the option -n ) the script will create a passphrase- encrypted copy of your secret key: without entering the passphrase you won't be able to use it. However if you want to use such a key with Asterisk, you'll have to start it interactively, because the scripts that start asterisk can't use that encrypted key. The key is identified by a name. If you don't write the name on the command-line you'll be prompted for one. The outputs of the script are: name.pub The public key: not secret. Send this to the other side. name.key The private key: secret. Those files should be copied to /var/lib/asterisk/keys (The private key: on your system. The public key: on other systems) To see the currently-installed keys from the asterisk CLI, use the command show keys OPTIONS
-q Run quietly. -n Don't encrypt the private key. SECURITY
The keys are created, using the umask of the user running the command. To create the keys in a secure manner, you should check to ensure that your umask is first set to disallow the private key from being world- readable, such as with the following commands: umask 0066 astgenkey yourkey And then make the key accessible to Asterisk (assuming you run it as user "asterisk"). chown asterisk /var/lib/asterisk/keys/yourname.* FILES
/var/lib/asterisk/keys SEE ALSO
asterisk(8), genrsa(1), rsa(1), http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+iax+rsa+auth AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir.cohen@xorcom.com> Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this docu- ment under the terms of the GNU General Public License, Version 2 any later version published by the Free Software Foundation. On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public License can be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL-2. Asterisk May 14th, 2005 ASTGENKEY(8)