Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help it works but its to SLOW Post 302180770 by era on Tuesday 1st of April 2008 05:33:54 AM
Old 04-01-2008
How about keep a count and sleep for a while if the count is exactly a multiple of 100? Or even, wait for all the processes you have spawned so far.

Also have a look at the nice and (if you have it) ionice commands. Those can be used to tell the scheduler to give other processes priority over this one, but if there are none others competing for resources, still let you run at full speed.

As an aside, as always, anything involving the cat of a single file is usually better phrased with redirection.

Code:
while read device
do
  .... stuff
done <devices.txt

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

slow ftp

On one of of solaris 7 boxes whenever i telnet or ftp it takes sometime before i get the prompt...any quick ideas where I should look...Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: suntan
3 Replies

2. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Slow

The site has gone slow for quite some time... Can you do somethin abt it (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DPAI
2 Replies

3. SCO

Slow cd response

Hi All We have one SCO Server here and it never gives us any trouble. Until Now!! Well its not earth shattering but we have one user who is complaining of a very slow response time when changing to his Home Directory. Other users who have similar profiles are OK. I have su'd to this user and I can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: JohnOB
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

scp is slow

All of the sudden scp got really slow ... from 2-3 seconds to 30 seconds. This happened for 5 hours, and then it went back to running fast. Why? If I use the -q qualifier which "Disables the progress meter" could this have any adverse effect? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tomstone_98
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How ls | wc -l works?

ls displays files in tabbed output. Say a directory contains 3 files. ls will list all 3 in one line. So, I expect ls | wc -l to give 1, but it counts the nr of files and gives 3. Can someone explain how this works? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishmaths
3 Replies

6. Programming

how this works?

pls explain me how this works.... DECODE (SUBSTR (field, 1, 1),'''', '''''' || field || '''','''' || field || '''') here field is a column in an oracle table.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijay_0209
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

>./a.pl works, >a.pl - does not

When I try to execute script, I get message: >aa.pl zsh: command not found: aa.pl but >./aa.pl works OK. What to change in environment to force the former way to work? Thank you, Alex Z (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zzol
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How this works?

I have a program............ #include<stdio.h> #include<unistd.h> main() { if(fork == 0) { printf("Hi every body:p!!!!!!!!!!"); } } This program works with out any error. here fork is not a system call. It just act as a variable.But how it works without declaring it? What data type it... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: carolsanjeevi
19 Replies
IONICE(1)							   User Commands							 IONICE(1)

NAME
ionice - set or get process I/O scheduling class and priority SYNOPSIS
ionice [-c class] [-n level] [-t] -p PID... ionice [-c class] [-n level] [-t] -P PGID... ionice [-c class] [-n level] [-t] -u UID... ionice [-c class] [-n level] [-t] command [argument...] DESCRIPTION
This program sets or gets the I/O scheduling class and priority for a program. If no arguments or just -p is given, ionice will query the current I/O scheduling class and priority for that process. When command is given, ionice will run this command with the given arguments. If no class is specified, then command will be executed with the "best-effort" scheduling class. The default priority level is 4. As of this writing, a process can be in one of three scheduling classes: Idle A program running with idle I/O priority will only get disk time when no other program has asked for disk I/O for a defined grace period. The impact of an idle I/O process on normal system activity should be zero. This scheduling class does not take a priority argument. Presently, this scheduling class is permitted for an ordinary user (since kernel 2.6.25). Best-effort This is the effective scheduling class for any process that has not asked for a specific I/O priority. This class takes a priority argument from 0-7, with a lower number being higher priority. Programs running at the same best-effort priority are served in a round-robin fashion. Note that before kernel 2.6.26 a process that has not asked for an I/O priority formally uses "none" as scheduling class, but the I/O scheduler will treat such processes as if it were in the best-effort class. The priority within the best-effort class will be dynamically derived from the CPU nice level of the process: io_priority = (cpu_nice + 20) / 5. For kernels after 2.6.26 with the CFQ I/O scheduler, a process that has not asked for an I/O priority inherits its CPU scheduling class. The I/O priority is derived from the CPU nice level of the process (same as before kernel 2.6.26). Realtime The RT scheduling class is given first access to the disk, regardless of what else is going on in the system. Thus the RT class needs to be used with some care, as it can starve other processes. As with the best-effort class, 8 priority levels are defined denoting how big a time slice a given process will receive on each scheduling window. This scheduling class is not permitted for an ordinary (i.e., non-root) user. OPTIONS
-c, --class class Specify the name or number of the scheduling class to use; 0 for none, 1 for realtime, 2 for best-effort, 3 for idle. -n, --classdata level Specify the scheduling class data. This only has an effect if the class accepts an argument. For realtime and best-effort, 0-7 are valid data (priority levels), and 0 represents the highest priority level. -p, --pid PID... Specify the process IDs of running processes for which to get or set the scheduling parameters. -P, --pgid PGID... Specify the process group IDs of running processes for which to get or set the scheduling parameters. -t, --ignore Ignore failure to set the requested priority. If command was specified, run it even in case it was not possible to set the desired scheduling priority, which can happen due to insufficient privileges or an old kernel version. -h, --help Display help text and exit. -u, --uid UID... Specify the user IDs of running processes for which to get or set the scheduling parameters. -V, --version Display version information and exit. EXAMPLES
# ionice -c 3 -p 89 Sets process with PID 89 as an idle I/O process. # ionice -c 2 -n 0 bash Runs 'bash' as a best-effort program with highest priority. # ionice -p 89 91 Prints the class and priority of the processes with PID 89 and 91. NOTES
Linux supports I/O scheduling priorities and classes since 2.6.13 with the CFQ I/O scheduler. AUTHORS
Jens Axboe <jens@axboe.dk> Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com> SEE ALSO
ioprio_set(2) AVAILABILITY
The ionice command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux July 2011 IONICE(1)