Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: run a perl with option
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting run a perl with option Post 302180520 by Yogesh Sawant on Monday 31st of March 2008 11:09:04 AM
Old 03-31-2008
make use of the module Getopt::Long to accept command line options in your script

then, based on whether the required option is set or not, decide whether to send e-mail or not

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: Run perl script in the current process

I have a question regarding running perl in the current process. I shall demonstrate with an example. Look at this. sh-2.05b$ pwd /tmp sh-2.05b$ cat test.sh #! /bin/sh cd /etc sh-2.05b$ ./test.sh sh-2.05b$ pwd /tmp sh-2.05b$ . ./test.sh sh-2.05b$ pwd /etc sh-2.05b$ So... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

option followed by : taking next option if argument missing with getopts

Hi all, I am parsing command line options using getopts. The problem is that mandatory argument options following ":" is taking next option as argument if it is not followed by any argument. Below is the script: while getopts :hd:t:s:l:p:f: opt do case "$opt" in -h|-\?)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gurukottur
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

recently introduced to the newer option for find...does an older option exist?

To find all the files in your home directory that have been edited in some way since the last tar file, use this command: find . -newer backup.tar.gz Is anyone familiar with an older solution? looking to identify files older then 15mins across several directories. thanks, manny (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_manny
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Better way to run this perl command

i'm working with files that are huge in size. over 3GB. and i need to do a lot of pattern matching. I need a way to grep for what i want, using a tool that is available across most unix systems. i initially was gungho about grep, but not all capablities of grep are available on all OSes. so... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sh file: READ (menu) but now run with option

I have a script which uses READ to detect choice of menu option...now I want to change the script without doing whole rewrite such that when user runs ./script.sh 5 it would execute menu option 5 rather than user running ./script.sh waiting for it to load and then pressing "5 enter" Is it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: holyearth
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Perl] Command option with optional value.

Hi, I would like to parse command line arguments. The problem I am facing is that I cannot get it right when an option has a optional value. Example: # ./ej.pl --remove # ./ej.pl --remove all And the script may allow only one option. So this is wrong: # ./ej.pl --dummy --remove I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejdv
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl debuggin option

I am getting out of memory issue in perl. I need to debug which function taking more memory constraints. what the commands to find out the memory consuming in the perl program. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramkumar15
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting shell to Perl I run into shell built in function trap and need alternative in Perl

I am working on converting shell to Perl script. In shell we have built in function trap Do you know alternative in Perl or actually we don't need it? Thanks for contribution (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl command line option '-n','-p' and multiple files: can it know a file name of a printed line?

I am looking for help in processing of those options: '-n' or '-p' I understand what they do and how to use them. But, I would like to use them with more than one file (and without any shell-loop; loading the 'perl' once.) I did try it and -n works on 2 files. Question is: - is it possible to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script run in a case statement call to run a php file, also Perl

Linux System having all Perl, Python, PHP (and Ruby) installed From a Shell script, can call a Perl, Python, PHP (or Ruby ?) file eg eg a Shell script run in a case statement call to run a php file, also Perl or/and Python file??? Like #!/usr/bin/bash .... .... case $INPUT_STRING... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hoyanet
1 Replies
Test::Script(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					 Test::Script(3pm)

NAME
Test::Script - Basic cross-platform tests for scripts DESCRIPTION
The intent of this module is to provide a series of basic tests for 80% of the testing you will need to do for scripts in the script (or bin as is also commonly used) paths of your Perl distribution. Further, it aims to provide this functionality with perfect platform-compatibility, and in a way that is as unobtrusive as possible. That is, if the program works on a platform, then Test::Script should always work on that platform as well. Anything less than 100% is considered unacceptable. In doing so, it is hoped that Test::Script can become a module that you can safely make a dependency of all your modules, without risking that your module won't on some platform because of the dependency. Where a clash exists between wanting more functionality and maintaining platform safety, this module will err on the side of platform safety. FUNCTIONS
script_compiles script_compiles( 'script/foo.pl', 'Main script compiles' ); The "script_compiles" test calls the script with "perl -c script.pl", and checks that it returns without error. The path it should be passed is a relative unix-format script name. This will be localised when running "perl -c" and if the test fails the local name used will be shown in the diagnostic output. Note also that the test will be run with the same perl interpreter that is running the test script (and not with the default system perl). This will also be shown in the diagnostic output on failure. script_runs script_runs( 'script/foo.pl', 'Main script runs' ); The "script_runs" test executes the script with "perl script.pl" and checks that it returns success. The path it should be passed is a relative unix-format script name. This will be localised when running "perl -c" and if the test fails the local name used will be shown in the diagnostic output. The test will be run with the same perl interpreter that is running the test script (and not with the default system perl). This will also be shown in the diagnostic output on failure. SUPPORT
All bugs should be filed via the bug tracker at <http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/ReportBug.html?Queue=Test-Script> For other issues, or commercial enhancement and support, contact the author. AUTHOR
Adam Kennedy <adamk@cpan.org> SEE ALSO
prove, <http://ali.as/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Adam Kennedy. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of the license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.10.1 2009-11-24 Test::Script(3pm)