Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to achicve translate in unix Post 302180519 by aigles on Monday 31st of March 2008 11:05:31 AM
Old 03-31-2008
When the replacement is made on the whole record, you can use the tr command.

In your case, the replacement must be made just in one field.
A possible way to do the work is to use an awk program like that :
Code:
#!/usr/bin/awk -f
BEGIN {
   CnvFrom = "0123456789";
   CnvTo   = "4590382617";
   Field   = 1;
}
{
   newField = ""
   for (i=1; i<=length($Field); i++) {
      char = substr($Field, i, 1);
      if (pos=index(CnvFrom, char))
         char = substr(CnvTo, pos, 1)
      newField = newField char
   }
   $Field = newField
   print
}

Jean-Pierre.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. OS X (Apple)

Cannot translate Unix executable files

Help!! I loaded OS X Panther on my Mac G4 and found that many files previously saved as txt files were inadventently converted to Unix executable files. When I try to read these in Word, the Word filters cannot recognize or translate the file properly. Does anyone know how to translate these files?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Steven Greenber
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can someone help translate this snippet?

Hello all - This snippet from a script runs on a Tru64 machine (ksh). if ps -ef | grep thing1 | grep dtsession | grep -v grep then echo "Killing Thing1 desktop session" kill -9 'ps -ef | grep thing1 | grep dtsession | grep -v grep | awk '{FS = " "}{print $2}'' fi I'm... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Heron
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trouble with UNIX tr (translate) function

UNIX script - problem. I want the spaces in my Item variable to be replaced with a question mark. Can you tell me what I am doing wrong? This is the whole code line. Item | tr -s " " "?" Why is this not making any changes to the Item value? Thanks for any help you can give! tg (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: by_tg
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

translate rc to string

Hi Maybe you can suggest a nicer way to do the following: RET_STR=$(echo ${RET} | sed -e 's/0/Object is not mapped/' \ -e 's/1/Operation Internal Error/' \ -e 's/2/Operation Invalid Arguments/' \ -e 's/3/Object is mapped/' \ -e 's/4/Path not found/') (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ynir
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

translate to normal english

lnode * head = temp; (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rickym2626
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

replcement/translate of ' to ''

Hi i have a variable whose value contains '(single quote) i want to replace single quote with two single quotes ex- i want to replace abc's second center with abc''s second center. Plz help me. thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bmrout007
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

translate timestamp

my file creation timestamp looks like this: Nov 4 15:44:34 EST 2009 i need to translate into 091104 my way is to awk on $1, $2, $5, but i don't know how to tranlate Nov to 11 ---------- Post updated at 03:01 PM ---------- Previous update was at 11:07 AM ---------- i resolved my post... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjmannonline
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help translate code

Hi, all of you!!! I have this code and I won to build-in some more code. I know this is a lot of code. if ; then if ; then SYSROOT="$1" S_SCRIPT="cd $1 ; ./etc/rc.sysinit 2>&1 &" fi else ... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: jokerper
22 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

translate this string

Hi, I'm using code below to assign title for Putty Window to show user@hostname+curr directory. Trying to read this "write only" language, can anybody help me to go thru this string, too many thing in it I can't expaing Tx T export PROMPT_COMMAND='echo -ne "\033]0;${USER}@${HOSTNAME}:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trento17
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can someone please help me translate this UNIX script to English?

Hi guys, I'm trying to create a DataStage job and I'm basing it off an existing similar project. The 'Input' value of the job is: (where "/DATA/CSV_FILES" is where all the files were located) My understanding is that for each CSV, it added the 'filename' as Column A. And then it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: thedunnyman
5 Replies
niserror(1)							   User Commands						       niserror(1)

NAME
niserror - display NIS+ error messages SYNOPSIS
niserror error-num DESCRIPTION
niserror prints the NIS+ error associated with status value error-num on the standard output. It is used by shell scripts to translate NIS+ error numbers that are returned into text messages. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Using niserror The following example prints the error associated with the error number 20: example% niserror 20 Not Found, no such name ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWnisu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
nis+(1), nis_error(3NSL), attributes(5) NOTES
NIS+ might not be supported in future releases of the SolarisTM Operating Environment. Tools to aid the migration from NIS+ to LDAP are available in the Solaris 9 operating environment. For more information, visit http://www.sun.com/directory/nisplus/transition.html. SunOS 5.10 10 Dec 2001 niserror(1)