Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: share memory on linux
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat share memory on linux Post 302180474 by melanie_pfefer on Monday 31st of March 2008 10:03:10 AM
Old 03-31-2008
share memory on linux

how to list the orphaned shared memory?
how to kill them so that shared mem is free again.

thanks

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Mount Linux share onto Sco 5.0.6

I've got a Sco 5.0.6 box and an Ubuntu box on my network. i want to backup certain directories onto a share on the Ubuntu box. how do i mount a linux share onto the Sco box? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sall
1 Replies

2. Linux

how i can share the file between unix or linux in windows ??

hello everybody i have one quetion :( about how i can share my file in windows to use it in linux explane i have to opreating system windows xp and linux fedore core and unix ( sun solaris 10 ) and i want to open me file that is storege in windows <<< want to open it in unix or... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: msn22
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

share directory from linux to unix

hello,:b: I want to share a directory from Linux server to Unix server, i did it before for Unix servers only , first server: share -F nfs /backup second server: mount -F nfs 192.1.1.208:/backup / but i can't find share command in linux, we tried to use samba but it doesn't works. any... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dagigg
6 Replies

4. Red Hat

unable to mount windows share on linux 5.1

Hi, I am using redhat linux 5.1 - 64bit, using command mount -t cifs //192.192.192.192/SW/Ex /192.192.192.192 -o username=test I am getting below error. mount: block device //192.192.192.192/SW/Ex is write-protected, mounting read-only mount: cannot mount block device... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

help to access windows share from linux box

how to access windows share from a linux box windows machin is in different workgroup so how to pass credentials whil acessing a share from a script (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: robo
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

I just wanted to share this bash script for linux

If your Unix box doesn't support bash scripts then do not do the following. Create a file named version. type chmod 755 version and then copy and paste the code below into the file. Then type "mv version /bin" and presto, type version. A cool full hearty command. If you know more about you're Os... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Errigour
3 Replies

7. Red Hat

Samba share problem in Linux 6.4

Hi , In samba i have shared my home directory, but its showing as a printer. Not able to share data. $ smbclient -L 192.168.122.1 Enter priyank's password: Domain= OS= Server= Sharename Type Comment --------- ---- ------- shared_priyank Printer ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priy
3 Replies

8. Red Hat

How to determine share name of Linux server?

Hi, How to determine share name of Linux server ? OS version is RHL 6.5 Regards, Maddy (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Maddy123
11 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Mounting Windows Share to Linux Server

Hi Folks - I need to mount a Windows Share to a Linux server. What is the best/easiest way to do this? Is this 'how-to' guide accurate: How to Share Files Between Windows and Linux Or is there a better method you could share? Thanks! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: SIMMS7400
8 Replies
SHM_MAP(9)						   BSD Kernel Developer's Manual						SHM_MAP(9)

NAME
shm_map, shm_unmap -- map shared memory objects into the kernel's address space SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/mman.h> int shm_map(struct file *fp, size_t size, off_t offset, void **memp); int shm_unmap(struct file *fp, void *mem, size_t size); DESCRIPTION
The shm_map() and shm_unmap() functions provide an API for mapping shared memory objects into the kernel. Shared memory objects are created by shm_open(2). These objects can then be passed into the kernel via file descriptors. A shared memory object cannot be shrunk while it is mapped into the kernel. This is to avoid invalidating any pages that may be wired into the kernel's address space. Shared memory objects can still be grown while mapped into the kernel. To simplify the accounting needed to enforce the above requirement, callers of this API are required to unmap the entire region mapped by shm_map() when calling shm_unmap(). Unmapping only a portion of the region is not permitted. The shm_map() function locates the shared memory object associated with the open file fp. It maps the region of that object described by offset and size into the kernel's address space. If it succeeds, *memp will be set to the start of the mapping. All pages for the range will be wired into memory upon successful return. The shm_unmap() function unmaps a region previously mapped by shm_map(). The mem argument should match the value previously returned in *memp, and the size argument should match the value passed to shm_map(). Note that shm_map() will not hold an extra reference on the open file fp for the lifetime of the mapping. Instead, the calling code is required to do this if it wishes to use shm_unmap() on the region in the future. RETURN VALUES
The shm_map() and shm_unmap() functions return zero on success or an error on failure. EXAMPLES
The following function accepts a file descriptor for a shared memory object. It maps the first sixteen kilobytes of the object into the ker- nel, performs some work on that address, and then unmaps the address before returning. int shm_example(int fd) { struct file *fp; void *mem; int error; error = fget(curthread, fd, CAP_MMAP, &fp); if (error) return (error); error = shm_map(fp, 16384, 0, &mem); if (error) { fdrop(fp, curthread); return (error); } /* Do something with 'mem'. */ error = shm_unmap(fp, mem, 16384); fdrop(fp, curthread); return (error); } ERRORS
The shm_map() function returns the following errors on failure: [EINVAL] The open file fp is not a shared memory object. [EINVAL] The requested region described by offset and size extends beyond the end of the shared memory object. [ENOMEM] Insufficient address space was available. [EACCES] The shared memory object could not be mapped due to a protection error. [EINVAL] The shared memory object could not be mapped due to some other VM error. The shm_unmap() function returns the following errors on failure: [EINVAL] The open file fp is not a shared memory object. [EINVAL] The address range described by mem and size is not a valid address range. [EINVAL] The address range described by mem and size is not backed by the shared memory object associated with the open file fp, or the address range does not cover the entire mapping of the object. SEE ALSO
shm_open(2) HISTORY
This API was first introduced in FreeBSD 10.0. BSD
December 14, 2011 BSD