Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: simple unpack script
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers simple unpack script Post 302180229 by jboss on Sunday 30th of March 2008 11:38:58 AM
Old 03-30-2008
Okay so i have got it down to this.... now i am completely lost...

i know that i have to add a few more lines of code on how the files will be handled once uncompressed. ie : mkdir, name=basename. Just unsure of where to start

sorry if im being really draining but i dont know how to structure the last part.....

#!/bin/sh

for file in "$@"
do
case $file in

*.zip|*.ZIP)
unzip "$file"
;;

*.tar)
tar xvpf "$file"
;;

*.tgz|*tar.gz|*.tar.Z)
gunzip -c "$file" | tar xvpf -
;;

esac
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

does any body know how to unpack this file?????

this file i'm trying to unpack is a cloop file (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amicrawler2000
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

perl pack and unpack commands

I have a file that contains user id and corresponding password. Lets say password is "help". The below command will create a hex value for string "help". perl -e 'print unpack "H*","help"' So now password is in encoded format. Then I decoded it in the script where am fetching the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: max_payne1234
1 Replies

3. Red Hat

Method to Unpack cpio files

Hi all, I want to unpack some files .Files and their sizes are: 1. Linux9i_Disk1.cpio -- 500m 2. Linux9i_Disk2.cpio--- 600m 3.Linux9i_Disk3.cpio---- 250m I used cpio -idmv Linux9i_Disk1.cpio command to unpack the files. But Its taking more time to unpack the files.What could be the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: William1482
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unpack (extract) EAR / JAR files

i have about 30 .EAR files, every ear file have 1 .JAR file. so i need to extract .EAR files then extract .JAR files, and one important thing is that every archive must bee extracted to separate folder. i try with gzip, but when i extract 30 ear files i cant make separate folders.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: waso
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unpack .tar-file and get name

Hi there, I wrote the following code: if ($SCENE == *.tar) then echo "tar -xf $SCENE" tar -xf $SCENE > tar.txt set dims = `awk '$0' tar.txt` echo "name of dims is:" echo "$dims" endif My intension is, to write a variable "dims" with the output name of the tar-command. That means,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: friend
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

perl pack and unpack commands

I am using pack/unpack to encyrpt a file. syntax is below #!/bin/sh encrypt=`perl -e 'print unpack "H*","yourpassword"'` - echo $encrypt >/file/to/store/encrypted/password pass=`cat /file/to/store/encrypted/password` decrypt=`perl -e 'print pack "H*",$pass'` ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: erinlomo
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pack and unpack localtime in perl script

Hi I have a code like this: sub WriteEbcdicHeader { my $Htimestamp=localtime();#i need to pack and unpack this my $eheaderline = $Htimestamp; #packing has to be done here #unpacking has to be done after packing print $EOUTFILE return $eheaderline; } sub WriteEbcdicTrailer { ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbathena
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unpack individual files from tarball

Say you don't want to unpack the whole thing, just individual files or directories within a .tgz. How to do this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stevensw
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help making simple perl or bash script to create a simple matrix

Hello all! This is my first post and I'm very new to programming. I would like help creating a simple perl or bash script that I will be using in my work as a junior bioinformatician. Essentially, I would like to take a tab-delimted or .csv text with 3 columns and write them to a "3D" matrix: ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: torchij
16 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to unpack files with bunzip2 using while loop

Hi, I have a problem with unzipping some file.xml.bz2 files to file.xml using while loop. all other processing on files is successfull except bunzip2. here is my piece of code while read i do bunzip2 $i done<file.lst; output : No such file or directory.le... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: maroom
14 Replies
script(1)							   User Commands							 script(1)

NAME
script - make record of a terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [filename] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a record of everything printed on your screen. The record is written to filename. If no file name is given, the record is saved in the file typescript. See WARNINGS. The script command forks and creates a sub-shell, according to the value of $SHELL, and records the text from this session. The script ends when the forked shell exits or when Control-d is typed. OPTIONS
The following option is supported: -a Appends the session record to filename, rather than overwriting it. NOTES
script places everything that appears on the screen in filename, including prompts. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5) WARNINGS
script can pose a security risk when used in directories that are writable by other users (for example, /tmp), especially when run by a privileged user, that is, root. Be sure that typescript is not a link before running script. SunOS 5.11 30 Jan 2004 script(1)