Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: simple unpack script
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers simple unpack script Post 302180219 by jboss on Sunday 30th of March 2008 11:01:25 AM
Old 03-30-2008
was able to expand the script using the example as follows... although am unable to make it run... have changed rights of file "chmod 755 filename" and typed "./filename" but there is no result

untargz () {
gunzip -c <"$1" | tar xf -
}

untgz () {
gunzip -c <"$1" | tar xf -
}

unzip () {
unzip "$1"
}

for l in "$@";

do

case $l in

*.tar.gz) ext=".tar.gz"; command=untargz

;;

*.tgz) ext=".tgz"; command=untgz
;;

*.zip) ext=".zip"; command=unzip

esac

:
A=`basename "$1" "$ext"`
:
$command "$1"
cd ..

done

If anyone could suggest how to improve this script in any way and what i might be doing wrong when trying to make it run it would be much appreciated

Thanks once again

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

does any body know how to unpack this file?????

this file i'm trying to unpack is a cloop file (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amicrawler2000
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

perl pack and unpack commands

I have a file that contains user id and corresponding password. Lets say password is "help". The below command will create a hex value for string "help". perl -e 'print unpack "H*","help"' So now password is in encoded format. Then I decoded it in the script where am fetching the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: max_payne1234
1 Replies

3. Red Hat

Method to Unpack cpio files

Hi all, I want to unpack some files .Files and their sizes are: 1. Linux9i_Disk1.cpio -- 500m 2. Linux9i_Disk2.cpio--- 600m 3.Linux9i_Disk3.cpio---- 250m I used cpio -idmv Linux9i_Disk1.cpio command to unpack the files. But Its taking more time to unpack the files.What could be the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: William1482
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unpack (extract) EAR / JAR files

i have about 30 .EAR files, every ear file have 1 .JAR file. so i need to extract .EAR files then extract .JAR files, and one important thing is that every archive must bee extracted to separate folder. i try with gzip, but when i extract 30 ear files i cant make separate folders.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: waso
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unpack .tar-file and get name

Hi there, I wrote the following code: if ($SCENE == *.tar) then echo "tar -xf $SCENE" tar -xf $SCENE > tar.txt set dims = `awk '$0' tar.txt` echo "name of dims is:" echo "$dims" endif My intension is, to write a variable "dims" with the output name of the tar-command. That means,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: friend
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

perl pack and unpack commands

I am using pack/unpack to encyrpt a file. syntax is below #!/bin/sh encrypt=`perl -e 'print unpack "H*","yourpassword"'` - echo $encrypt >/file/to/store/encrypted/password pass=`cat /file/to/store/encrypted/password` decrypt=`perl -e 'print pack "H*",$pass'` ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: erinlomo
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pack and unpack localtime in perl script

Hi I have a code like this: sub WriteEbcdicHeader { my $Htimestamp=localtime();#i need to pack and unpack this my $eheaderline = $Htimestamp; #packing has to be done here #unpacking has to be done after packing print $EOUTFILE return $eheaderline; } sub WriteEbcdicTrailer { ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbathena
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unpack individual files from tarball

Say you don't want to unpack the whole thing, just individual files or directories within a .tgz. How to do this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stevensw
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help making simple perl or bash script to create a simple matrix

Hello all! This is my first post and I'm very new to programming. I would like help creating a simple perl or bash script that I will be using in my work as a junior bioinformatician. Essentially, I would like to take a tab-delimted or .csv text with 3 columns and write them to a "3D" matrix: ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: torchij
16 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to unpack files with bunzip2 using while loop

Hi, I have a problem with unzipping some file.xml.bz2 files to file.xml using while loop. all other processing on files is successfull except bunzip2. here is my piece of code while read i do bunzip2 $i done<file.lst; output : No such file or directory.le... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: maroom
14 Replies
FindBin(3perl)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					    FindBin(3perl)

NAME
FindBin - Locate directory of original perl script SYNOPSIS
use FindBin; use lib "$FindBin::Bin/../lib"; or use FindBin qw($Bin); use lib "$Bin/../lib"; DESCRIPTION
Locates the full path to the script bin directory to allow the use of paths relative to the bin directory. This allows a user to setup a directory tree for some software with directories "<root>/bin" and "<root>/lib", and then the above example will allow the use of modules in the lib directory without knowing where the software tree is installed. If perl is invoked using the -e option or the perl script is read from "STDIN" then FindBin sets both $Bin and $RealBin to the current directory. EXPORTABLE VARIABLES
$Bin - path to bin directory from where script was invoked $Script - basename of script from which perl was invoked $RealBin - $Bin with all links resolved $RealScript - $Script with all links resolved KNOWN ISSUES
If there are two modules using "FindBin" from different directories under the same interpreter, this won't work. Since "FindBin" uses a "BEGIN" block, it'll be executed only once, and only the first caller will get it right. This is a problem under mod_perl and other persistent Perl environments, where you shouldn't use this module. Which also means that you should avoid using "FindBin" in modules that you plan to put on CPAN. To make sure that "FindBin" will work is to call the "again" function: use FindBin; FindBin::again(); # or FindBin->again; In former versions of FindBin there was no "again" function. The workaround was to force the "BEGIN" block to be executed again: delete $INC{'FindBin.pm'}; require FindBin; KNOWN BUGS
If perl is invoked as perl filename and filename does not have executable rights and a program called filename exists in the users $ENV{PATH} which satisfies both -x and -T then FindBin assumes that it was invoked via the $ENV{PATH}. Workaround is to invoke perl as perl ./filename AUTHORS
FindBin is supported as part of the core perl distribution. Please send bug reports to <perlbug@perl.org> using the perlbug program included with perl. Graham Barr <gbarr@pobox.com> Nick Ing-Simmons <nik@tiuk.ti.com> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1995 Graham Barr & Nick Ing-Simmons. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.14.2 2011-09-26 FindBin(3perl)