Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Some Info.
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Some Info. Post 302180028 by era on Saturday 29th of March 2008 10:27:31 AM
Old 03-29-2008
You should find the manual pages for your system. If you are not at the computer, you can easily find them in Google.

This invocation of cut extracts the second field in a colon-delimited line (or sequence of lines, more generally). Similarly, the awk program prints the first field on a space-separated line (or sequence of lines, more generally).

Bottom line, it extracts the IP address of the interface out of the ifconfig output.

The whole process could have been done more elegantly using just ifconfig and awk, possibly at a modest decrease in maintainability, or ifconfig, grep, and two invocations of cut.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SU info

from the man page of su: EXAMPLES Example 1: Becoming User bin While Retaining Your Previously Exported Environment To become user bin while retaining your previously exported environment, execute: example% su bin Example 2: Becoming User bin and ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: afflack
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

some info on awk please

i know this is a stupid question but...can awk do more than print? can i have it assign a value from a file list to a variable in the script? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MadHatter
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting Info

i have a file that contain lines like this 9.4.7.8.5.7.9.0.5.7.1.2.msisdn.sub.cs. 1 IN CNAME SDP01.cs. there are about 50,000 lines like this in the files i want to the extract the digits from the above line like:- 947857905712 OS Solaris9 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: muneebr
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging info

Hi, pls advise how could we merge contents of lines from 2 different files into 1 file but shares common label continously as in the following example: Thanks in advance...rgds. File1: // line: 0 abc def // line: 1 ghi jkl File2: // line: 0 mno pqr // line: 1 stu vwx End... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manan
3 Replies

5. Solaris

UFSDUMP info

Hi,,,,, My question is : i have to backup a file system of size 92 GB /dev/dsk/c1t1d0s2 135G 92G 41G 70% /data i use the command : ufsdump 0cfu /backup/c1t1d0s2 /dev/rdsk/c1t1d0s2 ...... the output file of the backup is only 2 GB it's normal ?? or i have do a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tt155
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

last logged on info

Hi how can I know the details of when valid system users last logged on? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nokia1100
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Info

Hi, I'm a oracle DBA with little knowledge of Unix. I wanted to write some shell scripts which will be helpful for DBA's regular activity. As i'm a new to oracle with unix can any plese tell me what are all the activities can be done throgh Unix Shell Scripts also suggest me how to learn... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: msgobinathan
1 Replies

8. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Update my info

I hadn't logged on here in several months. I want to update my info, such as the email address that I can be contacted at, but I don't see any links to do that. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cleopard
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting LV Info

I have this working ksh, and it returns like below: LOGICAL VOLUME: prod_2048_005 VOLUME GROUP: prod1vg TYPE: raw WRITE VERIFY: off PHYSICAL VOLUME: hdisk108 VOLUME GROUP: prod1vg TOTAL PPs: 1023 (130944 megabytes) VG DESCRIPTORS: 1 USED PPs: 904 (115712 megabytes) MAX REQUEST: 1 megabyte... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Getting machine info in C

I need to find a way to query the OS (on Linux or Unix) to get details about the host machines processor type and the primary hard drive serial number. Is this possible? Thank you for any Guru help you can provide! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pug
2 Replies
JOIN(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   JOIN(1)

NAME
join - relational database operator SYNOPSIS
join [ options ] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
Join forms, on the standard output, a join of the two relations specified by the lines of file1 and file2. If one of the file names is the standard input is used. File1 and file2 must be sorted in increasing ASCII collating sequence on the fields on which they are to be joined, normally the first in each line. There is one line in the output for each pair of lines in file1 and file2 that have identical join fields. The output line normally con- sists of the common field, then the rest of the line from file1, then the rest of the line from file2. Input fields are normally separated spaces or tabs; output fields by space. In this case, multiple separators count as one, and leading separators are discarded. The following options are recognized, with POSIX syntax. -a n In addition to the normal output, produce a line for each unpairable line in file n, where n is 1 or 2. -v n Like -a, omitting output for paired lines. -e s Replace empty output fields by string s. -1 m -2 m Join on the mth field of file1 or file2. -jn m Archaic equivalent for -n m. -ofields Each output line comprises the designated fields. The comma-separated field designators are either 0, meaning the join field, or have the form n.m, where n is a file number and m is a field number. Archaic usage allows separate arguments for field designators. -tc Use character c as the only separator (tab character) on input and output. Every appearance of c in a line is significant. EXAMPLES
sort /etc/passwd | join -t: -1 1 -a 1 -e "" - bdays Add birthdays to the /etc/passwd file, leaving unknown birthdays empty. The layout of /adm/users is given in passwd(5); bdays con- tains sorted lines like tr : ' ' </etc/passwd | sort -k 3 3 >temp join -1 3 -2 3 -o 1.1,2.1 temp temp | awk '$1 < $2' Print all pairs of users with identical userids. SOURCE
/src/cmd/join.c SEE ALSO
sort(1), comm(1), awk(1) BUGS
With default field separation, the collating sequence is that of sort -b -ky,y; with -t, the sequence is that of sort -tx -ky,y. One of the files must be randomly accessible. JOIN(1)