Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers [bash]Stripping lines from a list Post 302179915 by era on Saturday 29th of March 2008 04:04:08 AM
Old 03-29-2008
No offense, but I'm sorry, that's a really hideous script. I guess the problem is that you are grepping without anchoring the grep, so it prints any line which contains the indicated number anywhere.

Here is a refactored version, with the following changes.

* cat file | command is known as "Useless Use of Cat". Changed those.
* grep | sed similarly refactored to use only sed, anchored at the beginning
* You use $file and /tmp/file1.txt interchangeably. Standardize on the former.
* Since you are not using file1 without the nl, doing the nl once and saving it in the file.
* Remove the temp file when done.
* The second temp file is apparently unnecessary, unless you are only showing part of the script.

Code:
list=/tmp/list1.txt
trap 'rm $list' 0  # remove temp file at exit
trap 'exit 127' 1 2 3 5 15  # remove temp file if interrupted
ncftpls -u <user> -p <password> -x "-l1" server.domain.tld | nl > $list
echo "Choose file: "
# maybe display the list to the user:
# pr -bt2 "$list"
read file
sed "s/^ *$file //g" | column -t

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

merging 2 lines with awk and stripping first two words

Hey all i am pretty new to awk... here my problem. My input is something like this: type: NSR client; name: pegasus; save set: /, /var, /part, /part/part2, /testpartition, /foo/bar,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bazzed
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

stripping out non-numeric values in a list

hi all, i'm very new to scripting and have the folllowing issue. I have used a few commands to get a list of numbers, but I need to strip away the non-numeric ones, and then need a total of all values. any ideas? root@unixserver # cat myfile | awk '{print $8}'| sort -rn 1504 1344 896 704... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: badoshi
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - stripping away characters that can't be used in filenames

I want to create a temp file which is named based on a search string. The search string may contain spaces or characters that aren't supposed to be used in filenames so I want to strip those out. My thought was to use 'tr' with but the result is the opposite of what I want: $ echo "test... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mglenney
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Stripping down binaries

Hello, I am the CEO of Grand Tech Corporation. We are launching Linux NT and forgive me, but I do not know how to strip binaries down in Mandriva Linux. Can someone tell me a way to?:b: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux NT
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing lines from one list from another list.

Hello, I was wondering if there was an easy way to take lines from a single-column list, and remove them from a second single-column list. For example, I want to remove the contents of list 1 from list 2. How would I do this? Contents of list 1: server1a server2b server3c server4a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinuxRacr
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

For x in a b c; { list; } (in lieu of do list; done) works (in bash) - why and how?

In this post I came across the cited construct. It works! while ... { list; } does not. man bash does not mention it (or, better, I didn't see it). Any reason for / behind this? Am I missing something? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: RudiC
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find the X highest values in a list depending on the values of another list with bash/awk?

Hi everyone, This is an exemple of inpout.txt file (a "," delimited text file which can be open as csv file): ID, Code, Value, Store SP|01, AABBCDE, 15, 3 SP|01, AABBCDE, 14, 2 SP|01, AABBCDF, 13, 2 SP|01, AABBCDE, 16, 3 SP|02, AABBCED, 15, 2 SP|01, AABBCDF, 12, 3 SP|01, AABBCDD,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jeremy589
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stripping ret of the lines in a file (sed question)

Hi all, I didn't use SED for 20 years and was never an expert. So my current knowledge is about zero. Please be patient with me. I'm neither a native speaker. I have a huge dictionary file and want the rest of the lines stripped. Everything after (and including) the "/" should be stripped. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hinnerk2005
2 Replies
MKTEMP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 MKTEMP(1)

NAME
mktemp -- make temporary file name (unique) SYNOPSIS
mktemp [-d] [-q] [-t prefix] [-u] template ... mktemp [-d] [-q] [-u] -t prefix DESCRIPTION
The mktemp utility takes each of the given file name templates and overwrites a portion of it to create a file name. This file name is unique and suitable for use by the application. The template may be any file name with some number of 'Xs' appended to it, for example /tmp/temp.XXXX. The trailing 'Xs' are replaced with the current process number and/or a unique letter combination. The number of unique file names mktemp can return depends on the number of 'Xs' provided; six 'Xs' will result in mktemp selecting 1 of 56800235584 (62 ** 6) pos- sible file names. If mktemp can successfully generate a unique file name, the file is created with mode 0600 (unless the -u flag is given) and the filename is printed to standard output. If the -t prefix option is given, mktemp will generate a template string based on the prefix and the TMPDIR environment variable if set. The default location if TMPDIR is not set is /tmp. Care should be taken to ensure that it is appropriate to use an environment variable poten- tially supplied by the user. If no arguments are passed or if only the -d flag is passed mktemp behaves as if -t tmp was supplied. Any number of temporary files may be created in a single invocation, including one based on the internal template resulting from the -t flag. The mktemp utility is provided to allow shell scripts to safely use temporary files. Traditionally, many shell scripts take the name of the program with the pid as a suffix and use that as a temporary file name. This kind of naming scheme is predictable and the race condition it creates is easy for an attacker to win. A safer, though still inferior, approach is to make a temporary directory using the same naming scheme. While this does allow one to guarantee that a temporary file will not be subverted, it still allows a simple denial of service attack. For these reasons it is suggested that mktemp be used instead. OPTIONS
The available options are as follows: -d Make a directory instead of a file. -q Fail silently if an error occurs. This is useful if a script does not want error output to go to standard error. -t prefix Generate a template (using the supplied prefix and TMPDIR if set) to create a filename template. -u Operate in ``unsafe'' mode. The temp file will be unlinked before mktemp exits. This is slightly better than mktemp(3) but still introduces a race condition. Use of this option is not encouraged. EXIT STATUS
The mktemp utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
The following sh(1) fragment illustrates a simple use of mktemp where the script should quit if it cannot get a safe temporary file. tempfoo=`basename $0` TMPFILE=`mktemp /tmp/${tempfoo}.XXXXXX` || exit 1 echo "program output" >> $TMPFILE To allow the use of $TMPDIR: tempfoo=`basename $0` TMPFILE=`mktemp -t ${tempfoo}` || exit 1 echo "program output" >> $TMPFILE In this case, we want the script to catch the error itself. tempfoo=`basename $0` TMPFILE=`mktemp -q /tmp/${tempfoo}.XXXXXX` if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then echo "$0: Can't create temp file, exiting..." exit 1 fi SEE ALSO
mkdtemp(3), mkstemp(3), mktemp(3), environ(7) HISTORY
A mktemp utility appeared in OpenBSD 2.1. This implementation was written independently based on the OpenBSD man page, and first appeared in FreeBSD 2.2.7. This man page is taken from OpenBSD. BSD
December 30, 2005 BSD