Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: i want to give alias
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting i want to give alias Post 302179907 by era on Saturday 29th of March 2008 03:19:14 AM
Old 03-29-2008
You need to create an alias for rm which parses its switches and breaks out to the real rm if it's not rm -r.

As an aside, functions are generally recommended over aliases.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Give us a hand

How do you get an awk output into columns i.e. awk (print $1,$2,$3) doesn't come out into nice columns but lots of lines of txt want something more like. I am crap at unix so give me a hand thx Rich (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RichardB
3 Replies

2. AIX

please give me a script

Hi All, As i asked you in my previous post, I want to read username and lastupdate only from /etc/security/passwd and write the same data to another file: The data in /etc/security/passwd will be in this form for example: smith: password = MGURSj.F056Dj lastupdate = 623078865 flags =... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: me_haroon
0 Replies

3. Programming

Pls give me some advice

hi everyone i have a problem in design as follows: there is a structured file ,for example , field 1, field 2 ....... -------------- -------------- i read it into my memory ,there are some change in the memory maybe add some record or change one field in an existing record. i am going... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: benbenpig
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

if i give this command what would be the value...

if i give dir=/tmp/${0##*/} what would b the value stored in dir ..i'm more concerned about the 0##*/ part.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suri
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please give your inputs !!!!

I am trying to extract two fields from the output of ifconfig command on one of my sun server . The output looks like : root@e08k18:/tmp/test# ifconfig -a lo0: flags=1000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 8232 index 1 inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000 ce0:... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kpatel786
9 Replies

6. Solaris

I want to know how we can give alias entry in cron

Hi all I have created an alias for a running a script called script.sh as alias utils="sh ~/script.sh". Moreover i m using bash shell, even i have given the entry for alias in .profile in my home directory.I have given alias entry in crontab file as 30 12 * * * utils ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naree
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

About to give up on XEmacs 21.5.29

Folks, I am hoping someone out there can help me. I have been writing code for in-excess of 10 years. Throughout all this time I have used Xemacs. I have picked up bits of customizations here and there over the years, but would not profess to be anything of an expert in Lisp (or have a heavily... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: petermc
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create alias files (not alias commands)

If one: $ find -name 'some expression' -type f > newfile and then subsequently wants to create an alias file from each pathname the find command retrieved and the > placed within 'newfile', how would one do this? Ideally, the newly created alias files would all be in one directory. I am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alexander4444
3 Replies
ALI(1)								     [nmh-1.5]								    ALI(1)

NAME
ali - list mail aliases SYNOPSIS
ali [-alias aliasfile] [-list | -nolist] [-normalize | -nonormalize] [-user | -nouser] [-version] [-help] [aliases ...] DESCRIPTION
Ali searches the named mail alias files for each of the given aliases. It creates a list of addresses for those aliases, and writes that list on standard output. If no arguments are given, ali outputs all alias entries. By default, when an aliases expands to multiple addresses, the addresses are separated by commas and printed on as few lines as possible. If the -list option is specified, then when an address expands to multiple addresses, each address will appear on a separate line. The switch -user directs ali to perform its processing in an inverted fashion: instead of listing the addresses that each given alias expands to, ali will list the aliases that expand to each given address. If the -normalize switch is given, ali will try to track down the official hostname of the address. The files specified by the profile entry "Aliasfile" and any additional alias files given by the -alias aliasfile switch will be read. Each alias is processed as described in mh-alias(5). FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile /etc/passwd List of users /etc/group List of groups PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Aliasfile: For a default alias file SEE ALSO
mh-alias(5) DEFAULTS
`aliasfiles' defaults to /etc/nmh/MailAliases `-nolist' `-nonormalize' `-nouser' CONTEXT
None BUGS
The -user option with -nonormalize is not entirely accurate, as it does not replace local nicknames for hosts with their official site names. MH.6.8 11 June 2012 ALI(1)