Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help in sorting echo command
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help in sorting echo command Post 302179600 by era on Friday 28th of March 2008 06:08:43 AM
Old 03-28-2008
Did you read the reply you got already? You're not sorting the file, you are sorting one line at a time, which is not altogether productive. You need to move the sorting to a later stage.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

comm command in sorting IP

i have 2 files that contains a sorted list of IP addresses. file_A contains a list of all IPs file_B contains only around 50% of what is in file_A. I tried to execute comm -23 file_A file_B > file_C to get the difference. My objective is to put all the IPs that are in file_A but not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tads98
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Echo command with $$ $# $@

Hi, Good morning. Would you please explain to me what does it mean by the following command. echo "$$ $# $@" >> /opt/ftp_generic_send.log I know that something is being directed to log file, but not sure what exactly mean by those $$ and $# and $@ means. Thank you for your help.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: howdy
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

creating a command and sorting???

How do you write a command line that displays the number of files in the working directory with names that end with the letter S? Thanks ---------- Post updated at 09:34 PM ---------- Previous update was at 09:33 PM ---------- for unix sorry (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jorogon0099
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with Data Sorting Command

Hi, I have a problem on data sorting, example my file as below: 123 123/789 aaa bbb ccc ddd (adf) 112 112/123 aaa bbb ccc (ade) 102 1a3/7g9 (adf)03 110 12b/129 aaa bbb ccc ddd fff(a8f)03 117 42f/8c9 aaa bbb ccc ddd (adf) 142 120/tyu fff... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: 793589
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

What does following echo command do?

Can anybody tell me what does following command do? # echo gsoc1 | ./configure_cmd.sh Regards, akash mahakode (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: akash_mahakode
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What will echo $$ command give

Hi I tried giving the following command echo $$a I got an output like 32178a Can some one please explain why echo $$ is returning 32178 Thanks in advance (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sri3001
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo Command Help

Hi All I want to use the echo command to had some lines to a file but the lines i want to have contain " and ; here is my command system("echo user_pref("accessibility.typeaheadfind.flashBar", 0); > $profile"); but i think there are too many " and so it barfs n e ideas thanks A (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ab52
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sorting output of echo

can someone please tell me who to sort the numerical output of echo? UIO="8180 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 48240 48240 48240 48240 48240 48240 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 48300 0 0 0 48300" echo $UIO | sort -n This doesn't workk. it does not sort the numbers from smallest to highest. any ideas? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help me with Echo Command

Hi All I have the big statement which needs to be appended to the file MANUALLY without opening the file. So, i tried with echo command echo " failure ( 4446): for host xx.xx.xx.xxx trying to GET /index.html, wl-proxy reports: exception occurred for backend host 'xx.xx.xxx.xx/12210/12210':... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kalaiela
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to echo command successful if command is executed successfully

Hello, I have written a command n shell script : srvctl relocate service -d t1 -s s1 -i i1 -t t1 -f If the above command executes successfully without error I need to echo "Service relocated successfully and If it errors out I need to trap the errors in a file and also need to make... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
1 Replies
echo(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  echo(1B)

NAME
echo - echo arguments to standard output SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/echo [-n] [argument] DESCRIPTION
echo writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files and for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of envi- ronment variables. For example, you can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o echo your current-working-directory's full pathname o pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters o pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo "echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w" See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. The shells csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1), each have an echo built-in command, which, by default, will have precedence, and will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. /usr/ucb/echo and csh's echo() have an -n option, but do not understand back-slashed escape characters. sh's echo(), ksh's echo(), and /usr/bin/echo, on the other hand, understand the black-slashed escape characters, and ksh's echo() also understands a as the audible bell character; however, these commands do not have an -n option. OPTIONS
-n Do not add the NEWLINE to the output. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), echo(1), ksh(1), sh(1), tr(1), wc(1), attributes(5) NOTES
The -n option is a transition aid for BSD applications, and may not be supported in future releases. SunOS 5.10 3 Aug 1994 echo(1B)