Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers choose what to extract from tar archive Post 302179594 by noratx on Friday 28th of March 2008 05:50:20 AM
Old 03-28-2008
choose what to extract from tar archive

Hello!

I want to extract a choosen directory (and its contents) from a tar archive and i have tried what i believe is every option i could find in the manual.

I think i have done it once before, but i don't remeber how.
Could anyone please tell me how to do?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar archive with .Z files

Hello, I have a tar archive full of compressed .Z (compressed with the compress command) files. I have restored the tar to a disk but am looking for a way to uncompress every file in every sub-directory. Under normal circumstances, I would just change directories and "uncompress *" but with 1600... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kun2112
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Archive (tar)

Hi, I want to archive below directories ex: /home/oracle/ddd0 /home/oracle/ddd1 /home/oracle/ddd2 I want a command(tar) which will let me archive the above directories excluding *.dmp(dump files), *.log(log files) in those directories. So the archived file doesn't have... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dreams5617
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Q: tar archive help

hey how do you create a archive and add file to an existing archive. i keep getting an error: dir/#: No such file or directory currently using tar -cvfu name.tar files files searching from a word document each line having different file extention. Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nookie
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tar archive issue

Hi, I make a tar archive: tar -czvf /path_to/cucu.tar.gz /path/dir_to_archive/ In the archive the /path/dir_to_archive/ is maintained for every file. I need that the archive to be made without the /path/dir_to_archive/ to contain only the files in /path/dir_to_archive/. Thanks,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: potro
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Archive::Tar problem

Hello, I have a problem using Archive::Tar. it seem very trivial but i cannot get it work. First I have a list of files I grab from a directory. Then I create a tar archive and write the files into the archive. everything works great, except that I cannot properly extract the files. What... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: amcrisan
0 Replies

6. Linux

tar archive

I have made tar archive of my system.. How can I make that tar archive to be bootable.. simply to install new linux from the archived tar file.. thanks in advance (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vit0_Corleone
8 Replies

7. Solaris

USTAR tar archive

Hello Admins, I am facing an issue with ustar tar archive on solaris 10. By mistake I have created ustar tar archive of /var/adm/messages file on solaris10. I am trying to untar the /var/adm/messages file . but I am not getting the original text messages file. I user tar -xvf ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: snchaudhari2
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Do I need to extract the entire tar file to confirm the tar folder is fine?

I would like to confirm my file.tar is been tar-ed correctly before I remove them. But I have very limited disc space to untar it. Can I just do the listing instead of actual extract it? Can I say confirm folder integrity if the listing is sucessful without problem? tar tvf file1.tar ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vivien_chu
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract tar archive on remote server in another directory

HI Please suggest how to untar archive on remote sever. When im trying use regular command without any flags everything working fine: $( ssh <user>@<server> -n '. ~/.profile >/dev/null 2>&1 ; cd /path_1 ; copiedIVR_name=`ls -tr | tail -1` ; tar xvf $copiedIVR_name ' ) but i have to ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BACya
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract tar archive on remote server in another directory

HI All Please suggest how to untar archive on remote sever. When im trying use regular command without any flags everything is working fine: $( ssh <user>@<server> -n '. ~/.profile >/dev/null 2>&1 ; cd /path_1 ; copiedIVR_name=`ls -tr | tail -1` ; tar xvf $copiedIVR_name ' ) but when im... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: BACya
9 Replies
DTRX(1) 																   DTRX(1)

NAME
dtrx - cleanly extract many archive types SYNOPSIS
dtrx [OPTIONS] ARCHIVE [ARCHIVE ...] DESCRIPTION
dtrx extracts archives in a number of different formats; it currently supports tar, zip (including self-extracting .exe files), cpio, rpm, deb, gem, 7z, cab, rar, and InstallShield files. It can also decompress files compressed with gzip, bzip2, lzma, or compress. In addition to providing one command to handle many different archive types, dtrx also aids the user by extracting contents consistently. By default, everything will be written to a dedicated directory that's named after the archive. dtrx will also change the permissions to ensure that the owner can read and write all those files. To run dtrx, simply call it with the archive(s) you wish to extract as arguments. For example: $ dtrx coreutils-5.*.tar.gz OPTIONS
dtrx supports a number of options to mandate specific behavior: -r, --recursive With this option, dtrx will search inside the archives you specify to see if any of the contents are themselves archives, and extract those as well. --one, --one-entry Normally, if an archive only contains one file or directory with a name that doesn't match the archive's, dtrx will ask you how to handle it. With this option, you can specify ahead of time what should happen. Possible values are: inside Extract the file/directory inside another directory named after the archive. This is the default. rename Extract the file/directory in the current directory, and then rename it to match the name of the archive. here Extract the file/directory in the current directory. -o, --overwrite Normally, dtrx will avoid extracting into a directory that already exists, and instead try to find an alternative name to use. If this option is listed, dtrx will use the default directory name no matter what. -f, --flat Extract all archive contents into the current directory, instead of their own dedicated directory. This is handy if you have multi- ple archive files which all need to be extracted into the same directory structure. Note that existing files may be overwritten with this option. -n, --noninteractive dtrx will normally ask the user how to handle certain corner cases, such as how to handle an archive that only contains one file. This option suppresses those questions; dtrx will instead use sane, conservative defaults. -l, -t, --list, --table Don't extract the archives; just list their contents on standard output. -m, --metadata Extract the metadata from .deb and .gem archives, instead of their normal contents. -q, --quiet Suppress warning messages. Listing this option twice will cause dtrx to be silent. -v, --verbose Show the files that are being extracted. Listing this option twice will cause dtrx to print debugging information. --help Display basic help. --version Display dtrx's version, copyright, and license information. AUTHOR
Brett Smith <brettcsmith@brettcsmith.org> COPYRIGHT
dtrx 6.5 is copyright (C) 2006-2009 Brett Smith and others. Feel free to send comments, bug reports, patches, and so on. You can find the latest version of dtrx on its home page at <http://www.brettcsmith.org/2007/dtrx/>. dtrx is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MER- CHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>. 6.5 2009-07-04 DTRX(1)