Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Converting Binary decimal coded values to Ascii Values Post 302179593 by gaur.deepti on Friday 28th of March 2008 05:47:26 AM
Old 03-28-2008
Converting Binary decimal coded values to Ascii Values

Hi All,

Is there any command which can convert binary decimal coded values to ascii values...

i have bcd values like below

оооооооооооо0о-- -v -

Pls suggest a way to convert this.

Thanks,
Deepti.Gaur

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

unix script for converting a decimal to binary

Could anybody please help me in writing a script in unix for converting a decimal number to binary number. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: softy
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Converting ASCII to Binary mode

Dear All, Business Users are transfering ( FTP ) a CSV file into the IBM AIX box with transfer mode as ASCII. But I want to convert the CSV file from ASCII mode into binary mode, as my script expects file in binary mode. Is it possible to do through Unix commands? Thanks in Advance, RK (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: srajeshmca
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert ascii values into ascii characters

Hi gurus, I have a file in unix with ascii values. I need to convert all the ascii values in the file to ascii characters. File contains nearly 20000 records with ascii values. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeeppvk
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Decimal to BCD (Binary Coded Decimal)

Anybody please help me... Design an algorithm that accepts an input a decimal number and converts it into BCD (Binary Coded Decimal) representation. Also, draw its Flow Chart. This is a unix qn... plz post algorithm for that :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: caramba
1 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

Decimal to BCD (Binary Coded Decimal)

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Design an algorithm that accepts an input a decimal number and converts it into BCD (Binary... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: caramba
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting hex to ascii/decimal

I am writing a bash script to do some parsing on a log and I am running into a problem when it comes to converting only certain sections of the file from hex to ascii or hex to decimal. Data Example: The hex values after Hardware and SW Version I need to convert from Hex to ASCII and the... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shiftkey
16 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting odd values to even values(or vice-versa) located in a column

Hello All, I have a below data in a .csv file where all rows where col1 is A, col2 is odd numbers, similarly even numbers for all rows where col1 is B. Note that my data has some other columns(not shown here) too (around 100) after col2. Tool,Data A,1 A,3 A,5 .... so on B,2 B,4 .... ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting a binary file to ascii and vice versa?

Hi All, I have a binary file which is being exported from a Database, and i need to convert that to ASCII format. How can i achieve that? And this solution should work for any file which is given to us; means they will give different files from different tables. Thanks in advance. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: baranisachin
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk file to read values from Db2 table replacing hard coded values

Hi, I want to replace a chain of if-else statement in an old AWK file with values from Db2 table or CSV file. The part of code is below... if (start_new_rec=="true"){ exclude_user="false"; user=toupper($6); match(user, "XXXXX."); if (RSTART ==2 ) { ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: asandy1234
9 Replies
ASCII(1)							 Development Tools							  ASCII(1)

NAME
ascii - report character aliases SYNOPSIS
ascii [-dxohv] [-t] [char-alias...] OPTIONS
Called with no options, ascii behaves like `ascii -h'. Options are as follows: -t Script-friendly mode, emits only ISO/decimal/hex/octal/binary encodings of the character. -s Parse multiple characters. Convenient way of parsing strings. -d Ascii table in decimal. -x Ascii table in hex. -o Ascii table in octal. -h, -? Show summary of options and a simple ASCII table. -v Show version of program. DESCRIPTION
Characters in the ASCII set can have many aliases, depending on context. A character's possible names include: * Its bit pattern (binary representation). * Its hex, decimal and octal representations. * Its teletype mnemonic and caret-notation form (for control chars). * Its backlash-escape form in C (for some control chars). * Its printed form (for printables). * Its full ISO official name in English. * Its ISO/ECMA code table reference. * Its name as an HTML/SGML entity. * Slang and other names in wide use for it among hackers. This utility accepts command-line strings and tries to interpret them as one of the above. When it finds a value, it prints all of the names of the character. The constructs in the following list can be used to specify character values. If an argument could be interpreted in two or more ways, names for all the different characters it might be are dumped. character Any character not described by one of the following conventions represents the character itself. ^character A caret followed by a character. character A backslash followed by certain special characters (abfnrtv). mnemonic An ASCII teletype mnemonic. hexadecimal A hexadecimal (hex) sequence consists of one or two case-insensitive hex digit characters (01234567890abcdef). To ensure hex interpretation use hexh, 0xhex, xhex or xhex. decimal A decimal sequence consists of one, two or three decimal digit characters (0123456789). To ensure decimal interpretation use ddecimal, ddecimal, or ddecimal. octal An octal sequence consists of one, two or three octal digit characters (01234567). To ensure octal interpretation use octal, 0ooctal, ooctal, or ooctal. bit pattern A bit pattern (binary) sequence consists of one to eight binary digit characters (01). To ensure bit interpretation use 0bbit pattern, bbit pattern or bit pattern. ISO/ECMA code A ISO/ECMA code sequence consists of one or two decimal digit characters, a slash, and one or two decimal digit characters. name An official ASCII or slang name. The slang names recognized and printed out are from a rather comprehensive list that first appeared on USENET in early 1990 and has been continuously updated since. Mnemonics recognized and printed include the official ASCII set, some official ISO names (where those differ) and a few common-use alternatives (such as NL for LF). HTML/SGML entity names are also printed when applicable. All comparisons are case-insensitive, and dashes are mapped to spaces. Any unrecognized arguments or out of range values are silently ignored. Note that the -s option will not recognize 'long' names, as it cannot differentiate them from other parts of the string. For correct results, be careful to stringize or quote shell metacharacters in arguments (especially backslash). This utility is particularly handy for interpreting cc(1)'s ugly octal `invalid-character' messages, or when coding anything to do with serial communications. As a side effect it serves as a handy base-converter for random 8-bit values. AUTHOR
Eric S. Raymond esr@snark.thyrsus.com; November 1990 (home page at http://www.catb.org/~esr/). Reproduce, use, and modify as you like as long as you don't remove this authorship notice. Ioannis E. Tambouras <ioannis@debian.org> added command options and minor enhancements. Brian J. Ginsbach <ginsbach@sgi.com> fixed several bugs and expanded the man page. David N. Welton <davidw@efn.org> added the -s option. Matej Vela corrected the ISO names. Dave Capella contributed the idea of listing HTML/SGML entities. ascii 03/26/2011 ASCII(1)