Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: get substr?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting get substr? Post 302179587 by syamkp on Friday 28th of March 2008 05:33:13 AM
Old 03-28-2008
Thanks for your solution Vino,

I want pasword for individual. Actually i will give only one search string and want to fetch corresponding pasword for one execution of the command.

for example,
the search string is ghijklmn
and i want corresponding pasword.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using substr

What is the more efficient way to do this (awk only and default FS) ? $ echo "jefe@alm"|awk '{pos = index($0, "@");printf ("USER: %s\n",substr ($0,1,pos-1))}' USER: jefe Thx in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Klashxx
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Substr

Hi, My input file is 41;2;xxxx;yyyyy.... 41;2;xxxx;yyyyy.... 41;2;xxxx;yyyyy.... .. .. I need to change the second field value from 2 to 1. i.e., 41;1;xxxx;yyyyy.... 41;1;xxxx;yyyyy.... 41;1;xxxx;yyyyy.... .. .. Thanks in advance. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepakwins
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

substr not working

Hi I am trying to run this command in ksh ...its not working $line="123356572867116w1671716" actual_length = 16 cut_line=`awk 'BEGIN{print substr(ARGV,1,actual_length)}' "$line"` the substr is not giving me an output how can i make it done can anyone hwlp me on this cut_line=`awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pukars4u
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

substr of a file

.wysiwyg { PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; BACKGROUND: #f5f5ff; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 5px 10px 10px; FONT: 10pt verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif; COLOR: #000000; PADDING-TOP: 0px } .wysiwyg A:link { COLOR: #22229c } .wysiwyg_alink { COLOR:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: davyp74
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

substr of a file

Hi, i'm a newbie and i don't know unix... I'm a dba oracle. I need to cat the content of a file like this: > ps -eaf|grep pmon oracle 221422 1 0 Sep 17 - 7:20 ora_pmon_ORCL oracle 405626 1 0 Sep 17 - 8:39 ora_pmon_ORCL1 oracle 491534 1 0 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: davyp74
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

substr

can anybody explain this code? thanks in advance..:) (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: janani_kalyan
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk substr

Hello life savers!! Is there any way to use substr in awk command for returning one part of a string from declared start and stop point? I mean I know we have this: substr(string, start, length) Do we have anything like possible to use in awk ? : substr(string, start, stop) ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: @man
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use if/else if with substr?

I have a command like this: listdb ID923 -l |gawk '{if (substr($0,37,1)==1 && NR == 3)print "YES" else if (substr ($0,37,1)==0 && NR == 3) print "NO"}' This syntax doesn't work. But I was able to get this to work: listdb ID923 -l |gawk '{if (substr($0,37,1)==1 && NR == 3)print "YES"}' ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

HELP : awk substr

Hi, - In a file test.wmi Col1 | firstName | lastName 4003 | toto_titi_CT- | otot_itit - I want to have only ( colones $7,$13 and $15) with code 4003 and 4002. for colone $13 I want to have the whole name untill _CT- or _GC- 1- I used the command egrep with awk #egrep -i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: georg2014
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Substr

awk '/^>/{id=$0;next}length>=7 { print id, "\n"$0}' Test.txt Can I use substr to achieve the same task? Thanks! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
8 Replies
ICONV_SUBSTR(3) 							 1							   ICONV_SUBSTR(3)

iconv_substr - Cut out part of a string

SYNOPSIS
string iconv_substr (string $str, int $offset, [int $length = iconv_strlen($str, $charset)], [string $charset = ini_get("iconv.inter- nal_encoding")]) DESCRIPTION
Cuts a portion of $str specified by the $offset and $length parameters. PARAMETERS
o $str - The original string. o $offset - If $offset is non-negative, iconv_substr(3) cuts the portion out of $str beginning at $offset'th character, counting from zero. If $offset is negative, iconv_substr(3) cuts out the portion beginning at the position, $offset characters away from the end of $str. o $length - If $length is given and is positive, the return value will contain at most $length characters of the portion that begins at $offset (depending on the length of $string). If negative $length is passed, iconv_substr(3) cuts the portion out of $str from the $offset'th character up to the character that is $length characters away from the end of the string. In case $offset is also negative, the start position is calculated beforehand according to the rule explained above. o $charset - If $charset parameter is omitted, $string are assumed to be encoded in iconv.internal_encoding. Note that $offset and $length parameters are always deemed to represent offsets that are calculated on the basis of the character set determined by $charset, whilst the counterpart substr(3) always takes these for byte offsets. RETURN VALUES
Returns the portion of $str specified by the $offset and $length parameters. If $str is shorter than $offset characters long, FALSE will be returned. SEE ALSO
substr(3), mb_substr(3), mb_strcut(3). PHP Documentation Group ICONV_SUBSTR(3)