Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: UNIX domain sockets vs FIFOs
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users UNIX domain sockets vs FIFOs Post 302179440 by mgessner on Thursday 27th of March 2008 04:51:49 PM
Old 03-27-2008
UNIX domain sockets vs FIFOs

Is there a performance advantage of one of these over the other? Obviously, it makes no sense to use normal TCP sockets or UDP sockets w/ the overhead they carry. But what about UNIX domain sockets vs FIFOs? I'd think they'd be very similar, in terms of performance and in terms of how they're manipulated.

I plan on doing non-blocking I/O on these and using select to decide when to read an interface.

Thanks,

Matt Gessner

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Unix Domain

hello, how can we create a domain in unix operating systems. By domain i mean which is used to maintain remote user logins and etc. cheers (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vibhory2j
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX in MS Win2003 Domain

Hi, Can I make a UNIX or LINUX machine a member of MS Active Directory 2003? How? Regards Leo (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Teamplay
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding a Unix machine to the domain

Hiya, what is the exact command to add a Unix machine to the existing domain? Is this command different for Linux/HP-Ux? thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wize
3 Replies

4. HP-UX

fd passing between Independent processes using unix domain sockets

Hi, I am having some error handling issues with and fd passed between Independent processes using unix domain sockets (On HPUX). Here is the scnerio ================= Step 1: TPC/Client (connect()) ---Connects to ------TCP/Server(Gateway) (server gets fd) Step 2: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Debasisb2002
2 Replies

5. Programming

Praying for help: FIFOs, IPC

omg i need help so bad. I've been working on a school project for what seems like an eternity and i'm close to deadline. Using FIFO's (i ahve to) to communicate between parent and child proc's. Right now I'm stuck on a read/write. fifomsg is a struct with int length and char message fields. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Funktar
5 Replies

6. Programming

forks, ipc, fifos, update issues...

Hi, so I've got this program("main") that fork executes another ("user"). These programs communicate through fifos. One communication is a spawn call, where user passes an executable, main forks and executes it. So, I'm keeping track of all my processes using a task table. After the fork (for... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Funktar
6 Replies

7. Linux

A little help understanding FIFOs?

This isn't strictly a Linux question, but... I've been working on a project to archive some streaming media for time shifting using 'mplayer' and have been using FIFOs to archive in Ogg Vorbis format: mkfifo program_name.wav (mplayer -ao pcm -aofile program_name.wav &)... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar and fifos

How can I make tar read data from a fifo, instead of storing it as a fifo? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Corona688
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UNIX Message Queues vs. Sockets

If I use sockets for IPC, and can easily distribute my applications. UNIX Message Queues are local to the processor. As I understand it, Message Queues still incur system call overhead, just like socket calls. What advantage does a UNIX Message Queue provide versus a TCP or UDP Socket,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zen29sky
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is the advantage of unix sockets?

Hi, i understood that there are several type of sockets: TCP, UDP & Unix. i wondered, what is the performance advantages of unix socket of the other types? isn't it equal to use UDP with localhost as destination over unix socket? Thanks in advance, Sariel (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sarielz
1 Replies
dbus-cleanup-sockets(1) 				      General Commands Manual					   dbus-cleanup-sockets(1)

NAME
dbus-cleanup-sockets - clean up leftover sockets in a directory SYNOPSIS
dbus-cleanup-sockets [DIRECTORY] DESCRIPTION
The dbus-cleanup-sockets command cleans up unused D-Bus connection sockets. See http://www.freedesktop.org/software/dbus/ for more informa- tion about the big picture. If given no arguments, dbus-cleanup-sockets cleans up sockets in the standard default socket directory for the per-user-login-session mes- sage bus; this is usually /tmp. Optionally, you can pass a different directory on the command line. On Linux, this program is essentially useless, because D-Bus defaults to using "abstract sockets" that exist only in memory and don't have a corresponding file in /tmp. On most other flavors of UNIX, it's possible for the socket files to leak when programs using D-Bus exit abnormally or without closing their D-Bus connections. Thus, it might be interesting to run dbus-cleanup-sockets in a cron job to mop up any leaked sockets. Or you can just ignore the leaked sockets, they aren't really hurting anything, other than cluttering the output of "ls /tmp" AUTHOR
dbus-cleanup-sockets was adapted by Havoc Pennington from linc-cleanup-sockets written by Michael Meeks. BUGS
Please send bug reports to the D-Bus mailing list or bug tracker, see http://www.freedesktop.org/software/dbus/ dbus-cleanup-sockets(1)