Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Rename file knowing the first 7 carachters Post 302179002 by osramos on Wednesday 26th of March 2008 07:24:40 PM
Old 03-26-2008
Rename file knowing the first 7 carachters

Hi, people.

I need some help with this:

i have this file " PROVEDP_???_yyyymmdd " , and i want to rename to this
" IN_PROV_yyyy???.dat " .

The " ??? " is the Month , but the file could be created on April, but the name coulb be March, for example.So i need to grab the 3 caracters

Because the creation of the file is dynamic only i know is the first 8 caracheters " PROVEDP_ " .

Example:

PROVEDP_JAN_20080205 ( this file was created at 20080205 ) i need to convert to IN_PROV_200801.dat

Could someone help me on this ?

Regards,

osramos

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem knowing disk space

i am a fresh person learning sco open server 5.5:confused: how should i know that how much space is occupied & how much is free on a particular partition?please help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: buntty
1 Replies

2. AIX

Knowing when is the user id expiring

HI, Do we have a command in AIX which will let us know when is the user id password getting expired!! Any advice will be of great help!! Thanks, Siddharth (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: siddhhuu
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

knowing progress while reading a file

Hi, I am parsing a very big file say 10 MB. It 'll take more than an hour ..I want to know the progress say in % .Is there any way to do that??? or (Is there any way to know which line of the file I am in ) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sakthi.abdullah
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Knowing global zone

Hi All, I was asked these question long time back, Is there any way to know frm non-global zone to know which is the global zone it belongs? As per my knowledge there is no way and i have looked for these topic for a quite a while and researched on it .I just want to be sure if i am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sahil_shine
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Knowing whether the file has completely SFTP ed

Hi.. Can Anyone out there help me? I need to write a script to convert a file in EDCIDC format to CSV The files will be transfered through sftp to the box. Is there a way to check the file has finished being transfered or still transfering. so that my conversion task will be performed after... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramukandada
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to use the filehandle stored in a variable without knowing its file association

how to use the filehandle stored in a variable without knowing its file association i.e. the filename code my $logFH = $connObj->get('logFH'); infoPrint("Variable is of type IO \n") if(UNIVERSAL::isa($logFH, 'IO')); infoPrint("$logFH\n"); output == INFO :: Variable is of type... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrd1986
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Knowing when a different program modifies a file

so i was testing something on a test box running linux. i manually vi'ed the /var/log/messages file. and i noticed, the file immediately stopped being updated. it wasn't until i restarted the syslog process that events started being recorded in it again. so that tells me, the syslog process... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
20 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

As knowing which version has the awk?

friends How do I know which version of awk using my linux? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricampeon81
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Curl to download file from subdivx.com after following location without knowing the file name/extens

This question could be specific to the site subdivx.com In the past, I've been able to download a file following location using cURL but there is something about subdivx.com that's different and can't figure out how to get it to work. I tried the following directly in the terminal with no... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: MoonD
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Knowing the boot files

Hi, I have experienced a situation whereby after rebooting the server, we were not able to bring it up. After further troubleshooting it was found that it was an issue with the "boot" image/file permission. Have you experienced such an issue? I was not the one who did the troubleshooting... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
1 Replies
g_principal(1)					 GROMACS suite, VERSION 4.5.4-dev-20110404-bc5695c				    g_principal(1)

NAME
g_principal - calculates axes of inertia for a group of atoms VERSION 4.5.4-dev-20110404-bc5695c SYNOPSIS
g_principal -f traj.xtc -s topol.tpr -n index.ndx -a1 axis1.dat -a2 axis2.dat -a3 axis3.dat -om moi.dat -[no]h -[no]version -nice int -b time -e time -dt time -tu enum -[no]w -[no]foo DESCRIPTION
g_principal calculates the three principal axes of inertia for a group of atoms. FILES
-f traj.xtc Input Trajectory: xtc trr trj gro g96 pdb cpt -s topol.tpr Input Structure+mass(db): tpr tpb tpa gro g96 pdb -n index.ndx Input, Opt. Index file -a1 axis1.dat Output Generic data file -a2 axis2.dat Output Generic data file -a3 axis3.dat Output Generic data file -om moi.dat Output Generic data file OTHER OPTIONS
-[no]hno Print help info and quit -[no]versionno Print version info and quit -nice int 19 Set the nicelevel -b time 0 First frame (ps) to read from trajectory -e time 0 Last frame (ps) to read from trajectory -dt time 0 Only use frame when t MOD dt = first time (ps) -tu enum ps Time unit: fs, ps, ns, us, ms or s -[no]wno View output .xvg, .xpm, .eps and .pdb files -[no]foono Dummy option to avoid empty array SEE ALSO
gromacs(7) More information about GROMACS is available at <http://www.gromacs.org/>. Mon 4 Apr 2011 g_principal(1)