Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed changes go to standard out....? Post 302178800 by jimmyc on Wednesday 26th of March 2008 10:33:08 AM
Old 03-26-2008
Hmmm... Here is the outcome.. Doesn't seem to like the "i".

Enter the new node name
JJJJJJJ
Enter IP address of new node
sed: illegal option -- i

New code:
# New Node info collection
echo " Enter the new node name"
read newnode

echo "Enter IP address of new node"
read IP

sed -ie "s/bogus/$newnode/" netmap.cfg

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

what can I get the posix standard?

I wanted study and write a unix like system. who can help me. ------------- Removed the garbled characters... not sure why they were there... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: crashsky
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

v2 standard libraries

I am a bit confused about the use of _v2 standard libraries on HP. I am working on HP11.11 risk machine and HP 11.23 Itanium machine. I am building a C++ shared library which is linked by a JNI shared library and other non-java related libraries. Eveything is compiled with -AA flag. When I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cactuar
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

To know the standard

Dear all, I have a need to find the standard of my system such as POSIX. How can I know that. Is there any way to find it. I am using GNU/Linux. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nagalenoj
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed does not make changes in the file but to the standard output

I have an xml file. I am doing some change, say deleting line 770. File name is file.xml. I use: sed '770d' file.xml but this does not actually make changes in the *file* but shows the changes on standard output (screen) if i use $var=`sed '770d' file.xml` echo $var > file.xml this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: indianjassi
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

standard error to standard out question

Hi there how can i get the result of a command to not give me its error. For example, on certain systems the 'zfs' command below is not available, but this is fine becaues I am testing against $? so i dont want to see the message " command not found" Ive tried outputting to /dev/null 2>&1 to no... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
5 Replies

6. Solaris

standard input

Please give me any example for standard input in Solaris. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: karman0931
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirect Standard output and standard error into spreadsheet

Hey, I'm completely new at this and I was wondering if there is a way that I would be able to redirect the log files in a directories standard output and standard error into and excel spreadsheet in anyway? Please remember don't use too advanced of terminology as I just started using shell... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: killaram
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Standard out and standard error

I need to run a cronjob and in the cronjob I execute a script that if there is an error produces standard error so I do /RUNMYSCRIPT 2> mylogfile.log However, if it runs correctly, I don't get a standard error output, I get a standard out output. How do I redirect both standard error and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guessingo
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command works from cmd line to standard output but will not write to file

Hi all .... vexing problem here ... I am using sed to replace some special characters in a .txt file: sed -e 's/_<ED>_/_355_/g;s/_<F3>_/_363_/g;s/_<E1>_/_341_/g' filename.txt This command replaces <ED> with í , <F3> with ó and <E1> with á. When I run the command to standard output, it works... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: crumplecrap
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed with standard input not working

I am trying use sed to replace a string in a file with input string passed, but it is not replacing the string. instead it replace as $1. Please find below the code. echo $1 sed -i.$now "s/http.*.myservice.*.war/$1/" tempfile.xml I am running above code as below myscript.sh ReplaceString... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sakthi.99it
4 Replies