Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: altering numbers in files
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting altering numbers in files Post 302178795 by era on Wednesday 26th of March 2008 10:28:39 AM
Old 03-26-2008
s/// is the substitution command you are familiar with from sed.

The regular expression \d+ is just a shorthand for [0-9]+ and putting it in parentheses "captures" it so you can refer back to it.

In the substitution part, we actually put a little Perl script, which subtracts one from the value we captured earlier (now referred to as $1).

The /g option says do this globally (really not necessary here).

The /e option is special to Perl, and says execute the substitution part, rather than just treat it as text.

Hope this helps.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Get un common numbers from two files

Hi, I have two files: abc : 50040 123123 31703 cde: 104 97 50040 123123 31703 36609 50534 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jingi1234
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue altering end data

I have an inventory program that I would like to have the ability to go and change or alter the field data based on the item number as a key. I have the menu option set but at the end of the script process it just appends the changed data to the database rather than what I would like; which is to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: stlitguru
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To get unique numbers from two files

here i have two files: file 1 1 2 3 4 5 5 6 7 8 9 file 2 4 5 6 6 8 8 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: i.scientist
6 Replies

4. SuSE

Tape Loader Device /dev/sgN is altering after each reboot

Dear all, we are running SLES 11 where an iscsi tape library is attached. To load the tape in a slot we are using for instance the command #mtx -f /dev/sg1 load 2 which is doing very well. But after a server's reboot the device name of the loader is now /dev/sg4 or /dev/sg5 I mean it is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xunil321
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting question: Altering 2 field.

Hi Experts, I want to alter two filed of my data file: The _new should come to 2nd column, and _new to be removed from 4rth column, please advise, datafile.txt aa /dev/vgAA/lvol1 bb /dev/vgAA_new/lvol1 aa /dev/vgAA1/lvol2 bb /dev/vgAA1_new/lvol2 aa /dev/vgAC/lvol1 bb... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sum Numbers from different files

Hi All, I need to print the sum of numbers from different files. Input files: file1.out 10 20 30 file2.out 10 20 30 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: saint2006
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiply numbers from different files

Hi All, I have tried few things with this but it did not help much. I have some 200,000 files in a directory. There are two sets of files. 1. Files with extension .dat with file names like these (1.dat, 2.dat, 5.dat, 8.dat....200000.dat) 2. Another set of files with .txt extension and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Altering a variable

Can I take an argument input, lets say it's, hg0000_xy1_v2, in the script it becomes f ... then hack off the end of the filename to change the variable to hg0000 only. I tried using sed but can't figure it out. f="$f" | sed 's/_fg_v//' I could change the variable label if necessary to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: scribling
4 Replies

9. Programming

Altering a jar file

I have a script I am trying to test and run but it runs against a jar file. I wrote an external property file so it would redirect with my script, but it keeps going in search of the previous property file. Is there any way to externally over write the jar file and if not how do you go about... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: risarose87
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Efficiently altering and merging files in perl

I have two files fileA HEADER LINE A CommentLine A Content A .... .... .... TAILER AfileB HEADER LINE B CommentLine B Content B .... .... .... TAILER BI want to merge these two files as HEADER LINE A CommentLine A Content A (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam05121988
4 Replies
path_to_inst(4) 						   File Formats 						   path_to_inst(4)

NAME
path_to_inst - device instance number file SYNOPSIS
/etc/path_to_inst DESCRIPTION
/etc/path_to_inst records mappings of physical device names to instance numbers. The instance number of a device is encoded in its minor number, and is the way that a device driver determines which of the possible devices that it may drive is referred to by a given special file. In order to keep instance numbers persistent across reboots, the system records them in /etc/path_to_inst. This file is read only at boot time, and is updated by add_drv(1M) and drvconfig(1M). Note that it is generally not necessary for the system administrator to change this file, as the system will maintain it. The system administrator can change the assignment of instance numbers by editing this file and doing a reconfiguration reboot. However, any changes made in this file will be lost if add_drv(1M) or drvconfig(1M) is run before the system is rebooted. Each instance entry is a single line of the form: "physical name" instance number "driver binding name" where physical name is the absolute physical pathname of a device. This pathname must be enclosed in double quotes. instance number is a decimal or hexadecimal number. driver binding name is the name used to determine the driver for the device. This name may be a driver alias or a driver name. The driver binding name must be enclosed in double quotes. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Sample path_to_inst Entries Here are some sample path_to_inst entries: "/iommu@f,e0000000" 0 "iommu" "/iommu@f,e0000000/sbus@f,e0001000" 0 "sbus" "/iommu@f,e0000000/sbus@f,e0001000/sbusmem@e,0" 14 "sbusmem" "/iommu@f,e0000000/sbus@f,e0001000/sbusmem@f,0" 15 "sbusmem" "/iommu@f,e0000000/sbus@f,e0001000/ledma@f,400010" 0 "ledma" "/obio/serial@0,100000" 0 "zs" "/SUNW,sx@f,80000000" 0 "SUNW,sx" FILES
/etc/path_to_inst SEE ALSO
add_drv(1M), boot(1M), drvconfig(1M), mknod(1M) WARNINGS
If the file is removed the system may not be bootable (as it may rely on information found in this file to find the root, usr or swap device). If it does successfully boot, it will regenerate the file, but after rebooting devices may end up having different minor numbers than they did before, and special files created via mknod(1M) may refer to different devices than expected. For the same reasons, changes should not be made to this file without careful consideration. NOTES
This document does not constitute an API. path_to_inst may not exist or may have a different content or interpretation in a future release. The existence of this notice does not imply that any other documentation that lacks this notice constitutes an API. SunOS 5.10 2 Nov 1995 path_to_inst(4)