Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Manipulating File
Operating Systems Solaris Manipulating File Post 302178527 by rubin on Tuesday 25th of March 2008 07:27:18 PM
Old 03-25-2008
Assuming the lines in the file are exactly as shown in your post this should do it:

Code:
awk '{print $5 > "output_file"}' file

You might need to use nawk or /usr/xpg4/bin/awk on Solaris.

Hope it helps

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Manipulating output file

I have a file containing two fields, Name and Time, with about 57 lines in this file. I am struggling to create a loop that will cut out the first ten lines of this file and echo it to the screen. Can anybody help me please. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mariner
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Manipulating a text file

hey guys, need ur expert help. m a core banker got stuck in someting techie and cant find a solution have manged to extract a file from oracle apps in a format that looks something like this... REC- A b c d x INV- A b... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: komalkg
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help!! manipulating file

Hi all, I need help manipulating the file below. Here is what I needed to do. First, I have to replace INSUPD to DELETE. Then I need to change the content of the file around by flipping the contents in the file from the bottom to the top (start from "CMD") How should I attack this? Here... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sirrtuan
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing a file and manipulating the contents

Hi I have a text file as follows BOB 14/14 TOM 94/94 SAM 3/3 CRIS 13/13 TOM 6/6 CRIS 27/27 SAM 2/2 JACK 25/25 CRIS (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shellignorant
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Manipulating the etc/passwd file with sed

How can i use sed to extract the user name and home directory from the /etc/passwd/ file on my server. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pauline mugisha
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Manipulating a file

Hi everybody, I need an urgent help with a BASH script. I have file which contains (besides the other data) the lines with the following structure identified by with keyword PCList: <PARAMETER NAME="PCList" TYPE="LIST_STRUCTURE" MODEL="{,}" ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sameucho
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Manipulating Large Csv File

Hello everyone, I am trying to manipulate a large .csv file where I have output similar to the following - http://imgur.com/TEXD8.png The result that I am looking for would be to consolidate the first column, but combine the second and third column so it still relates to the first. I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: xxwohxx
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Manipulating csv file

We need to convert a field in a csv file which is in cents to dollars.(divide by 100) in our shell script. Can some body help me? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deepthz
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help on manipulating a file

Hi, I need a shell/command to achieve this task. I've a delimited unloaded file from oracle in a scrambled format as shown below with many blank lines in it, I'm just trying to tailor it in a format that would be compatible to view and load it to a IDS db. Here is the problem ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: divak
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Manipulating column in a file in UNIX

Hi I have a file content.txt where I want to replace the value of second column of the file with half of the value of that column. I only have to replace if the second column starts with COM_, rest all values have to be same eg, cat content.txt |COM_A|123|JHV|8475 |ABC|2765|BV|876... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: infyanurag
7 Replies
install-solaris(1M)                                                                                                            install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)