Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers To convert multi format file to a readable ascii format Post 302178474 by gaur.deepti on Tuesday 25th of March 2008 03:03:39 PM
Old 03-25-2008
Thanks era,

I have lot and lot of junk values and other data type values...first of all i will test what ever you told for a sample file and see the results....

Thanks a lot for your time and patience for guiding me Smilie

Thanks,
Gaur.Deepti

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Convert UTF8 Format file to ANSI format

:) Hi i am trying to convert a file which is in UTF8 format to ANSI format i tried to use the function ICONV but it is throwing error Function i used it as $ iconv -f UTF8 -t ANSI filename Error iam getting is NOT Supported UTF8 to ANSI please some help me out on this.........Let me... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajreddy
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Convert UTF8 Format file to ANSI format

:confused: Hi i am trying to convert a file which is in UTF8 format to ANSI format i tried to use the function ICONV but it is throwing error Function i used it as $ iconv -f UTF8 -t ANSI filename Error iam getting is NOT Supported UTF8 to ANSI please some help me out on... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajreddy
9 Replies

3. HP-UX

file in malibox is readable format?

Hi, Files coming to mailbox are in readable format? Is there any special command to read these files. suppose i have sent a file like this megh$mailx -s "mesg" xyz@server.domain<file1.dat can xyz directly read the file from his mailbox? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: megh
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert unix date to readable format

Dear Experts, I need your help to convert a unix date and time format number in to readable format like dd/mm/yyyy . I have a text file of more than 10,000 records and it is like NAME DATE1 COUNTRY DATE2 ABD 1223580395699 USA 1223580395699... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shary
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Convert UNIX file format to PC format

Hi All, Is there any way to convert a file which is in UNIX format to a PC format.... Flip command can be used , apart form this command can we have any other way.... like usinf "awk" etc ..... main purpose of not using flip is that my Kshell doesnot support this comamnd.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Samtel
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert UNIX file format to PC format

Hi All, Is there any way to convert a file which is in UNIX format to a PC format.... Flip command can be used , apart form this command can we have any other way.... like usinf "awk" etc ..... main purpose of not using flip is that my Kshell doesnot support this comamnd.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Samtel
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert epoch to human readable date & time format

Hello I have log file from solaris system which has date field converted by Java application using System.currentTimeMillis() function, example is 1280943608380 which equivalent to GMT: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 17:40:08 GMT. Now I need a function in shell script which will convert 1280943608380... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yaminib
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple records need to convert UNIXtime to human readable datatime and all output in one format

Hello Experts, Below is the record i have: sample data attached I want this record of each row to be in single line and there are multiple rowise unixtime mentioned e.g 11996327 , This needs to be converted to Human readdable data and time from multiple rows Can you help me , it will be... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: manishK
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert epoch time stamp into human readable format

Can someone help me to write a shell script to convert epoch timestamp into human readable format 1394553600,"test","79799776.0","19073982.728571","77547576.0","18835699.285714" 1394553600,"test1","80156064.0","19191275.014286","62475360.000000","14200554.720000"... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Moon1234
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert UNIX timestamp to readable format in the file

Hello I have a file : file1.txt with the below contents : 237176 test1 test2 1442149024 237138 test3 test4 1442121300 237171 test5 test7 1442112823 237145 test9 test10 1442109600 In the above file fourth field represents the timestamp in Unix format. I found a command which converts... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul2662
6 Replies
OD(1)							      General Commands Manual							     OD(1)

NAME
od - octal, decimal, hex, ascii dump SYNOPSIS
od [ -format ] [ file ] [ [+]offset[.][b] [label] ] DESCRIPTION
Od displays file, or it's standard input, in one or more dump formats as selected by the first argument. If the first argument is missing, -o is the default. Dumping continues until end-of-file. The meanings of the format argument characters are: a Interpret bytes as characters and display them with their ACSII names. If the p character is given also, then bytes with even parity are underlined. The P character causes bytes with odd parity to be underlined. Otherwise the parity bit is ignored. b Interpret bytes as unsigned octal. c Interpret bytes as ASCII characters. Certain non-graphic characters appear as C escapes: null=, backspace=, formfeed=f, new- line= , return= , tab= ; others appear as 3-digit octal numbers. Bytes with the parity bit set are displayed in octal. d Interpret (short) words as unsigned decimal. f Interpret long words as floating point. h Interpret (short) words as unsigned hexadecimal. i Interpret (short) words as signed decimal. l Interpret long words as signed decimal. o Interpret (short) words as unsigned octal. s[n] Look for strings of ascii graphic characters, terminated with a null byte. N specifies the minimum length string to be recognized. By default, the minimum length is 3 characters. v Show all data. By default, display lines that are identical to the last line shown are not output, but are indicated with an ``*'' in column 1. w[n] Specifies the number of input bytes to be interpreted and displayed on each output line. If w is not specified, 16 bytes are read for each display line. If n is not specified, it defaults to 32. x Interpret (short) words as hexadecimal. An upper case format character implies the long or double precision form of the object. The offset argument specifies the byte offset into the file where dumping is to commence. By default this argument is interpreted in octal. A different radix can be specified; If ``.'' is appended to the argument, then offset is interpreted in decimal. If offset begins with ``x'' or ``0x'', it is interpreted in hexadecimal. If ``b'' (``B'') is appended, the offset is interpreted as a block count, where a block is 512 (1024) bytes. If the file argument is omitted, an offset argument must be preceded by ``+''. The radix of the displayed address will be the same as the radix of the offset, if specified; otherwise it will be octal. Label will be interpreted as a pseudo-address for the first byte displayed. It will be shown in ``()'' following the file offset. It is intended to be used with core images to indicate the real memory address. The syntax for label is identical to that for offset. SEE ALSO
adb(1) BUGS
A file name argument can't start with ``+''. A hexadecimal offset can't be a block count. Only one file name argument can be given. It is an historical botch to require specification of object, radix, and sign representation in a single character argument. 4th Berkeley Distribution April 29, 1985 OD(1)