Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how to change permissions in a certain directory? Post 302178419 by era on Tuesday 25th of March 2008 12:07:37 PM
Old 03-25-2008
On some platforms, making the directory setgid can be used for something like this.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

How to change permissions in UNIX?

I want to change a file permission which just I can list , read, and write it. So, does anybody can tell me the command? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: a8111978
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

determine owner directory permissions from within the directory

From within a directory, how do I determine whether I have write permission for it. test -w pwd ; echo ? This doesn't work as it returns false, even though I have write permission. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sniper Pixie
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to change permissions

Hi everyone, There are couple of users of which i need to give 2 of the users admin rights so that they are able to run the administration commands like "zoneadm" and locale. When logged in as root i am obviously able to do that.please suggest any way by which the other 2 user's permissions can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sankasu
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can we change the permissions of a file in a directory

Hi All, I am trying to wite a Shell script which changes the permission of the files in a folder but stuck at a particular point,please help. The scenario is as follwoing: I am having a list of 10 files and a folder which has 100 files. I need to copare the list and the folder ,for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sriram.Vedula53
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I am not able change the file permissions

while trying to view the access permissions to file by "ls -lrt" command it is opening some files int the dir after that segmentation fault ie core is generarting the dir.will anybody please what is the problem. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajkumar_g
1 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

Change access permissions

I purchased a 2TB hard drive, split it into two partitions, and formatted it as NTFS. I want to use the drive on my pc and my mac. How can I change the access permissions so Mac OS 10.4.11 will let me write to the drive? I tried this: $ chmod +a "admin allow write" /volumes/V2_Mac chmod:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Me&MyMac
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking directory permissions on UNIX directory

Hi, How do i check if I have read/write/execute rights on a UNIX directory? What I'm doing is checking read access on the files but i also want to check if user has rights on the direcory in whcih these files are present. if then...... And I check if the directory exists by using... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chetancrsp18
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh; Change file permissions, update file, change permissions back?

Hi, I am creating a ksh script to search for a string of text inside files within a directory tree. Some of these file are going to be read/execute only. I know to use chmod to change the permissions of the file, but I want to preserve the original permissions after writing to the file. How can I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: right_coaster
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To change permissions in mv or cp

Is there any option with mv or cp command so that a file permissions and name of the file can be changed in single mv or cp command. I searched man mv but doesn't found any option like that. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Devesh5683
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change permissions

Hi everyboy, I've installed a Virtualbox on my computer, inside the VB i'm running RedHat. So my problems it's that i need to run the scripts runasroot.sh to install the guest addiont, i'm doing this by console. I wrote chmod 775 ./runasroot.sh but doesn't works. I'm login as root user. Any... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Newer
8 Replies
SETGID(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 SETGID(2)

NAME
setgid - set group identity SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <unistd.h> int setgid(gid_t gid); DESCRIPTION
setgid() sets the effective group ID of the calling process. If the caller is the superuser, the real GID and saved set-group-ID are also set. Under Linux, setgid() is implemented like the POSIX version with the _POSIX_SAVED_IDS feature. This allows a set-group-ID program that is not set-user-ID-root to drop all of its group privileges, do some un-privileged work, and then reengage the original effective group ID in a secure manner. RETURN VALUE
On success, zero is returned. On error, -1 is returned, and errno is set appropriately. ERRORS
EPERM The calling process is not privileged (does not have the CAP_SETGID capability), and gid does not match the real group ID or saved set-group-ID of the calling process. CONFORMING TO
SVr4, POSIX.1-2001. SEE ALSO
getgid(2), setegid(2), setregid(2), capabilities(7), credentials(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.27 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2009-10-17 SETGID(2)