Sponsored Content
Special Forums Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions Noobie with Linux emu: Need help with emu's Post 302178417 by Sharkadder on Tuesday 25th of March 2008 11:54:14 AM
Old 03-25-2008
Noobie with Linux emu: Need help with emu's

Hi i have recently downloaded the cygwin emulator on my windows xp machine and i installed it onto my laptop and all was fine. The thing is i have never known how to use it really. I am wanting to use linux on windows since i have some programs that work on linux only.

I have a program called B-toolkit which i need linux to run, also i have a program which somebody created called RVM-FORTH which runs under linux.

Does anybody know how i can make these programs runable under cygwin? or do you think i am best download fedora or ubuntu, installing it on my laptop, dual booting and using vmware to load the linux up?

I wasn't sure if linux works with vmware, it probably does but if it isn't possible to run these things with cygwin then that is what i shall do.

Thank's, hope somebody can point me into the right direction of what i should be doing. sorry about the basic question but i wasn't sure how to install linux files on windows via an emulator.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Noobie Needs help with scripting

I've just begun using/studying Unix and I've run into a problem. I'm attempting to write a script that will replace a string within a textfile with another string, backing up the file before editing it. This is what I have so far, but I'm getting a "command not found" error. example input: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vamirr
2 Replies

2. Solaris

New born noobie with an easy question

I was told on a website that unix can help you make one. I was just wondering how and can you help me with a web page of my own. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shintouku
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Network noobie question

This is my first attempt in installing a netbsd ever. I'm trying to get myself familiar with some commands and how things work in unix and so far i never knew its this fun. Anyway, unix is our elective here in school and school is gonna start 2 weeks. I'm just trying to get a headstart on this :D... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 3rr0r_3rr0r
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I need help with a noobie shell script.

My applogies. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: buttons
1 Replies

5. Programming

Noobie in C

Hi to everyone , I am learning C language and I have problem with one example from book #include <stdio.h> int main() { char me; printf(“What is your name?”); scanf(“%s”,&me); printf(“Welcome, %s!\n”,me); return(0); } when I want to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_user
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

help while looping simple noobie

hi guys i have linked my lab 15. i have no idea where to start i dont understand whats it asking me. about the screen shot part!.. if someone can take a quick look and help me out with this unix lab that would be great.. i have did the Required Errorlevels Errorlevel #Event Information ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: beerpong1
1 Replies
TAILF(1)							   User Commands							  TAILF(1)

NAME
tailf - follow the growth of a log file SYNOPSIS
tailf [OPTION] file DESCRIPTION
tailf will print out the last 10 lines of a file and then wait for the file to grow. It is similar to tail -f but does not access the file when it is not growing. This has the side effect of not updating the access time for the file, so a filesystem flush does not occur peri- odically when no log activity is happening. tailf is extremely useful for monitoring log files on a laptop when logging is infrequent and the user desires that the hard disk spin down to conserve battery life. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -n, --lines=N, -N output the last N lines, instead of the last 10. -V, --version Output version information and exit. -h, --help Display help and exit. AUTHOR
This program was originally written by Rik Faith (faith@acm.org) and may be freely distributed under the terms of the X11/MIT License. There is ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY for this program. The latest inotify based implementation was written by Karel Zak (kzak@redhat.com). SEE ALSO
tail(1), less(1) AVAILABILITY
The tailf command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux February 2003 TAILF(1)