Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX How to prevent /dev/rmt* re-assignments Post 302178390 by jwholey on Tuesday 25th of March 2008 10:42:41 AM
Old 03-25-2008
Thanks for the input... interesting posts. One states: "must be something wrong with machine", other states: "... everytime the server reboots, we reconfigure...".
Apparently, I'm not the only one who is seeing this behavior.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/dev/rmt/0cn

Following the below info: ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- # SYNTAX: /dev/rmt/<unit number><density> · Density: l, m, h, u/c (low, medium, high, ultra/compressed, respectively) · BSD behavior: (optional) b · no rewind: (optional) n · For... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: guest100
5 Replies

2. Solaris

/dev/rmt empty

hi all , i have just installed solris 9 on a sun 280R ,and i have appleid the recommended patches . after the installation i have found that /dev/rmt/ directory is empty , i thought that was normal , so i attached my DDS4 external tape drive and treid : devfsadm -C devfsadm -v reboot --... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ppass
1 Replies

3. AIX

dev/rmt 0.1 block size is 0; variable; must be 1024 fixed.

Hi. After the shutdown for SWIFT Alliance Server, tape backup process will be done. Unfortunately, I encountered this error message when I performed the database tape backup. The error was "/dev/rmt 0.1 block size is 0; variable; must be 1024 fixed. Consider reconfiguration through 'chdev'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MariaLuisa
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Empty /dev/rmt

Hi Guys, I a newbie in Unix environment. I need a help to detect my external SCSI tape drive. I tried with command drvconfig;devlinks;tapes.. but when I go to /dev/rmt/, the directory is still empty. I also tried with add_drv -v st but I'm getting this message # add_drv -v st exit... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: akuslive
8 Replies

5. Solaris

/dev/rmt is empty - Trying to make Tape Drive Functional

I have an HP Proliant DL380 with Intel Processors that I recently loaded Solaris 10 with latest patches on it. I'm trying to do a ufsdump to an HP DAT 40 tape drive via SCSI, but I can't get it to do anything because /dev/rmt is empty. I've tried the following with luck: touch /reconfigure,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cvaughn
7 Replies

6. Hardware

/dev/rmt/0mn: write protected or reserved

# mt stat HP DDS-4 DAT (Sun) tape drive: sense key(0x0)= No Additional Sense residual= 0 retries= 0 file no= 0 block no= 0 mt -f /dev/rmt/0mn erase /dev/rmt/0mn: write protected or reserved. Getting error while ufsdump .... --- Dumping / to /dev/rmt/0mn --- DUMP: Date... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vickyingle5
1 Replies

7. Solaris

/dev/rmt/0mn: write protected or reserved

# mt stat HP DDS-4 DAT (Sun) tape drive: sense key(0x0)= No Additional Sense residual= 0 retries= 0 file no= 0 block no= 0 mt -f /dev/rmt/0mn erase /dev/rmt/0mn: write protected or reserved. Getting error while ufsdump .... --- Dumping / to /dev/rmt/0mn --- DUMP: Date... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vickyingle5
5 Replies

8. AIX

/dev/rmt devices are missing

Hello, I attached a tape drive to one of my partitions but i cannot find the device. I run the command lsdev|grep rmt but i dont get anything in return. When i run lsslot -c slot i can see the slot number and the device that belongs to the tape drive but i cannot find any rmt files in /dev.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: omonoiatis9
6 Replies

9. Solaris

Rogue file in /dev/rmt fills up / file system

Hi Peeps, Got a very wierd problem (not a show stopper, but really annoying). I've recovered a system for a DR test and by the looks of it every night (between 1030 and 11pm) it's creating a file called 1hbn in /dev/rmt and literally looks like it's utilizing all the remaining space in /... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: callmebob
2 Replies

10. HP-UX

Failed to open tape device /dev/rmt/0mn:Device busy (errno = 16)

Hi, Unable to make tape backup, please help. /opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery -a /dev/rmt/?mn -I -v -m tar -x inc_entire=vg00 * Creating local directories for configuration files and archive. ======= 04/25/16 16:28:08 IST Started /opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery. (Mon... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragr
4 Replies
kcmodule(1M)															      kcmodule(1M)

NAME
kcmodule - manage kernel modules and subsystems SYNOPSIS
behavior] config] comment] fields] [module[unused|static|loaded|auto|best]]] ... DESCRIPTION
is the administrative command for HP-UX kernel modules. It gives information about kernel modules and their usage, and makes changes to their usage. This command can work with any saved kernel configuration, or with the currently running kernel configuration, depending on the use of the flag (see below). By default, changes to the currently running kernel configuration are applied immediately. Some changes cannot be applied without a reboot; if any such changes are requested, or the flag is given, all changes on the command line will be held until next boot. Only users with appropriate privileges can make changes to module usage. Options Include all modules in the output listing. Normally only "interesting" modules are listed: required modules and multiple versions of mod- ules are omitted. Not valid in combination with or Specifies whether or not to update the automatic backup configuration before the requested change. Also specifies the default backup behavior for future changes. See kconfig(5) for a description of the various backup behaviors. Not valid in combination with For compatibility with old releases, is accepted as an alias for and is accepted as an alias for These aliases will be removed in a future release. Tells to view or change the saved kernel configuration named config. If this option is not specified, views or changes the currently run- ning kernel configuration. See kconfig(5) for more information on saved kernel configurations. The specified comment will be included in the kernel configuration log file entry made for this invocation of For more details on the kernel con- figuration log file, see kclog(1M). Note that it will usually be necessary to quote the comment in order to avoid interpretation by the shell. Adds the description of each module to the output. Restricts the output to only those modules that have a state change being held for next reboot. will return 1 if there are any such modules; see below. Not valid in combination with or Changes will be held until next boot, even if they could be applied immediately. Not valid in combination with Tells to include only the specified fields in its output, and to print them in the machine-readable form described in kconfig(5). See the below. Not valid in combination with or Only modules in non-default states are included in the output. In other words, the listing includes only optional modules that are in use by explicit request. It does not include unused modules, required modules, or modules that were automatically selected to resolve dependencies. Not valid in combination with or Print verbose information about each module. The information includes the name, version and state of the module, its allowed states and its dependencies on other modules and interfaces. Not valid in combination with or Arguments The arguments to may be any mixture of module state queries and assignments. The arguments must each take one of the forms listed below. No spaces are permitted within each argument. If no arguments are given, performs a query on all modules (subject to the constraints of the or flags). module The state of the module will be reported. No change is made. The module will be put into its state. module=state The module will be put into the specified state. The possible states are: The module is not used in any way. The module is statically bound into the kernel executable. The module will be dynamically loaded into the kernel when something tries to use it. The module is dynamically loaded into the kernel. The module will be put into the state identified by the kernel module developer as its "best" state. Typically this will be if supported by the module, otherwise if supported by the module, otherwise Note that a module in state will inherit any changes that HP makes to the "best" state for a module, in a patch or a future release of HP-UX. Some modules do not support all of the possible states. To see which states a module supports, run Moving modules into or out of the state requires a kernel relink, so such changes cannot be applied without a system reboot. Other module state changes may also require a system reboot, depending on the nature of the specified module. Moving a module from to has no effect on the currently running system; the module remains loaded. It will be autoloaded on first use after future reboots. Developer's Note The layout and content of output may change without notice, except when is specified. Scripts or applications that need to parse the out- put of are expected to use the option. See kconfig(5) for details. The fields supported in a request are: The name of the module. This field will produce a line in the output for each alternate name for the module. (There may be zero such lines.) A short description of the module. The version number of the module. The modification timestamp of the module file. The state of the module. The states are listed in the table under above. This field indicates how the module got into its current state. It will have one of the following values: The module was explicitly put in its current state by the administrator. The module was put in state by the administrator. An attempt was made to use the module, so it has been automatically loaded. The module inherited its state from another module that depends on it. The module is in use because it is marked required. The module is in this state because it is the "best" state for this module as specified by the module developer. The state of the module at next boot. This field is present only if is not specified. This field indicates how the module was given its state for next boot. It has the same values as above. This field is present only if is not specified. The state of the module before the current change. This field is present only for modules for which an immediate value change has been made during the current invocation of The cause of the module state before the current change. This field is present only for modules for which an immediate value change has been made during the current invocation of This field will contain a space-separated list of the states that this module can support. The states are listed in the table under above. This field will produce a line in the output for each dependency this module has on another module or interface. (There may be zero such lines.) Each line has the form: where type is either or indicating the type of object; name is the name of the interface or module; and version is the ver- sion number of the interface or module on which this module depends. This field will produce a line in the output for each interface exported by this module. (There may be zero such lines.) Each line will contain the of an interface exported by this module. The special field name may be specified to indicate that all defined fields should be included in the output. The output may include fields not listed in this man page. The fields will be listed in unspecified order. Additional fields may be added in future releases or patches. Default Output When is called with no options, it shows the optional kernel modules on the system, their current state, the cause for including it in the configuration and special capabilities if any. If there are changes that are being held for nextboot, they will be shown as well. The cause field will be empty for all modules that are not included in the configuration. The special capabilities of kernel modules would be one of: The module can be dynamically changed to the state The module can be dynamically changed to the state The module supports the state The layout and content of the default output may change in future releases or patches of HP-UX. Scripts or applications which need to parse the output of must use the option to get output that can be parsed. RETURN VALUE
returns one of the following values: 0 was successful. If was specified, this return value indicates that there are no module state changes being held for next boot. 1 was successful. However, there were changes requested to the currently running system which cannot be applied until the system reboots. Therefore, all of the requested changes are being held until next boot. If was specified, this return value indicates that there are module state changes being held for next boot. 2 was not successful. EXAMPLES
To see all optional modules and their current states: To see all modules, including required modules, and their current states: To see verbose information about a module: To load a dynamic module: To unload a dynamic module immediately: To stop using a module when the system reboots: To bind a module into the static kernel: SEE ALSO
kclog(1M), kconfig(5). available on kcmodule(1M)