Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Files with spaces....
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Files with spaces.... Post 302178372 by Jay5487 on Tuesday 25th of March 2008 09:42:00 AM
Old 03-25-2008
Well i got a somewhat fix if anyone comes along a similar problem

IFS=$'\n'

in the begining of file to change the delimiters

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Accessing files/folders with spaces

Hi there, our unix and windows are related. i.e. if i save a file while being on windows my unix profile would contain the same file, at the same location. so i can access all my files through unix prompt. but if i save a file/folder being on windows account and put spaces between the name of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: a25khan
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read files including spaces

I am accessing two files. I am using read command to read from the files. For the first file, I need read the fields delimited by spaces, and for the other file, I need to read the whole line as a single field including the spaces. When I used read command for the second file, the spaces... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumariak
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

copying files with spaces in the filename

Hi I am having difficulty copying files from one dir to another due to a space in the names of the file with an extension .rtf There are a group of files and the command am using is cp `ls -rt /wlblive/home/whiops/ops/RTFs/*.rtf|head -20` /wlblive/home/jamshed Since the files are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamshedj
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dealing with files with spaces in the name

Hello, I'm a computer science major and I'm having problems dealing with file names with spaces in them. Particularly I'm saving a file name in a variable and then using the variable in a compare function i.e. a='te xt.txt' b='file2.txt' cmp $a $b If anyone could help me with this particular... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jakethegreycat
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to read files with spaces

Hi I am a newbie to unix. I have a current script that reads a directory for excel files and renames the files. There is a problem now because some of the files have spaces. If I put quotes on the file, it will work but I dont know how to read all the files with quotes. Variables $1 =... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lillyt
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving files that contain spaces...

I have a script that I've written and it's been running fine until someone dropped a file in the source directory that had spaces in it. The script breaks the file name into separate mv commands. I've tried putting " around the $FILE but that didn't help. Anyone who can help me would be greatly... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sanglant
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List of files with spaces

Hi, Anyone can help me on how to list the file with spaces? Like I want to "ls" only the 2008 files. 2008 _overview102.jpg 2008 _overview103.jpg 2008 _overview106.jpg 2008 _overview677.jpg 2008 _overview680.jpg 2008 _overview110.jpg 2008 _overview682.jpg 2009 _overview4373.jpg 2009... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fspalero
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting the files with spaces

Hi All, The shell script is currently using the below command to find the seven days older files from a directories and delete them. Issue occurs when the file name consists of space in them. eg: abc def 1245.txt I need to delete the files names with space also. Please help. Thanks. Below... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhi_123
7 Replies

9. AIX

Find and rm files with spaces in the name

I'm sure this has been answered before, but my searches have not turned up the right solution. :confused: I need to remove files in a directory, without descending into subdirectories, older than n days. Some of the filenames contain spaces or other special characters: E10403 (2) E20402 (2)... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Papa Lee
15 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Process files in loop which have spaces in name

I have a folder with files and I have to process them in a loop. However the filenames have space characters, so the list get split. $ touch "File Number_1" $ touch "File Number_2" $ ls "/tmp/File Number"_* /tmp/File Number_1 /tmp/File Number_2 I tried following (sorry for using the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wernfried
3 Replies
PSC(1)							      General Commands Manual							    PSC(1)

NAME
psc - prepare sc files SYNOPSIS
psc [-fLkrSPv] [-s cell] [-R n] [-C n] [-n n] [-d c] DESCRIPTION
Psc is used to prepare data for input to the spreadsheet calculator sc(1). It accepts normal ascii data on standard input. Standard out- put is a sc file. With no options, psc starts the spreadsheet in cell A0. Strings are right justified. All data on a line is entered on the same row; new input lines cause the output row number to increment by one. The default delimiters are tab and space. The column for- mats are set to one larger than the number of columns required to hold the largest value in the column. OPTIONS
-f Omit column width calculations. This option is for preparing data to be merged with an existing spreadsheet. If the option is not specified, the column widths calculated for the data read by psc will override those already set in the existing spreadsheet. -L Left justify strings. -k Keep all delimiters. This option causes the output cell to change on each new delimiter encountered in the input stream. The default action is to condense multiple delimiters to one, so that the cell only changes once per input data item. -r Output the data by row first then column. For input consisting of a single column, this option will result in output of one row with multiple columns instead of a single column spreadsheet. -s cell Start the top left corner of the spreadsheet in cell. For example, -s B33 will arrange the output data so that the spreadsheet starts in column B, row 33. -R n Increment by n on each new output row. -C n Increment by n on each new output column. -n n Output n rows before advancing to the next column. This option is used when the input is arranged in a single column and the spreadsheet is to have multiple columns, each of which is to be length n. -d c Use the single character c as the delimiter between input fields. -P Plain numbers only. A field is a number only when there is no imbedded [-+eE]. -S All numbers are strings. -v Print the version of psc SEE ALSO
sc(1) AUTHOR
Robert Bond PSC 7.16 19 September 2002 PSC(1)