Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming using pthread_mutex_destroy() Post 302178140 by JamesGoh on Monday 24th of March 2008 08:57:03 PM
Old 03-24-2008
Hi Ramen Noodle

Thanks for your post. In this regard, I was wondering if you could elaborate on it to convince me why I should use pthread_cond_wait(). AFAIK, pthread_cond_wait() causes the mutex lock to be released and blocks the calling thread on a certain condition variable value.

If the calling thread is blocked (which is the thread associated with main() in my case), wouldn't this make it even more difficult to terminate the mutex ?

regards

PTHREAD_COND_WAIT(3)					   BSD Library Functions Manual 				      PTHREAD_COND_WAIT(3)

NAME
pthread_cond_wait -- wait on a condition variable SYNOPSIS
#include <pthread.h> int pthread_cond_wait(pthread_cond_t *cond, pthread_mutex_t *mutex); DESCRIPTION
The pthread_cond_wait() function atomically blocks the current thread waiting on the condition variable specified by cond, and releases the mutex specified by mutex. The waiting thread unblocks only after another thread calls pthread_cond_signal(3), or pthread_cond_broadcast(3) with the same condition variable, and the current thread reacquires the lock on mutex. RETURN VALUES
If successful, the pthread_cond_wait() function will return zero. Otherwise an error number will be returned to indicate the error. ERRORS
The pthread_cond_wait() function will fail if: [EINVAL] The value specified by cond or the value specified by mutex is invalid. SEE ALSO
pthread_cond_broadcast(3), pthread_cond_destroy(3), pthread_cond_init(3), pthread_cond_signal(3), pthread_cond_timedwait(3) STANDARDS
The pthread_cond_wait() function conforms to ISO/IEC 9945-1:1996 (``POSIX.1''). Darwin February 16, 2006 Darwin