Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming C++ How to use pipe() & fork() with stdin and stdout to another program Post 302178133 by vvaidyan on Monday 24th of March 2008 06:51:43 PM
Old 03-24-2008
C++ How to use pipe() & fork() with stdin and stdout to another program

Hi,
Program A: uses pipe()

I am able to read the stdout of PROGAM B (stdout got through system() command) into PROGRAM A using:

* child
-> dup2(fd[1], STDOUT_FILENO);
-> execl("/path/PROGRAM B", "PROGRAM B", NULL);

* parent
-> char line[100];
-> read(fd[0], line, 100);

Question:
---------
How to write to stdin of PROGRAM B from PROGRAM A?
* should I use a different pipe?
* how to I read stdin in PROGRAM B? using cin?

Thanks in advance,
Vivek

Last edited by vvaidyan; 04-30-2008 at 01:33 PM.. Reason: Question made more precise

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

How to write to stdin of another program (program A -> [stdin]program B)

Hi, Program A: uses pipe() I am able to read the stdout of PROGAM B (stdout got through system() command) into PROGRAM A using: * child -> dup2(fd, STDOUT_FILENO); -> execl("/path/PROGRAM B", "PROGRAM B", NULL); * parent -> char line; -> read(fd, line, 100); Question: ---------... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vvaidyan
1 Replies

2. Programming

How to clear the content of a pipe (STDIN) after it is written to another program?

PROGRAM A <-> PROGRAM B PROGRAM A sends data as STDIN ro PROGRAM B and when PROGRAM B is executed from PROGRAM A, it sends output back to PROGRAM A. This is implemented using 2 pipes (fd1 & fd2). The above process happens in a loop and during the second run, the previous data that had been... (10 Replies)
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to write to stdin of another program (program A -> [stdin]program B)

Hi, Program A: uses pipe() I am able to read the stdout of PROGAM B (stdout got through system() command) into PROGRAM A using: * child -> dup2(fd, STDOUT_FILENO); -> execl("/path/PROGRAM B", "PROGRAM B", NULL); * parent -> char line; -> read(fd, line, 100); Question: ---------... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

4. Programming

stdout/stdin + flushing buffers

Hi all I've run into a snag in a program of mine where part of what I entered in at the start of run-time, instead of the current value within printf() is being printed out. After failing with fflush() and setbuf(), I tried the following approach void BufferFlusher() { int in=0;... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesGoh
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fork and stdin

When a process fork(), the child share the same file descriptors as his father. Thus, they share the same stdin. Quick and dirty exemple below (sorry for the ugly gets() call) : #include <stdio.h> #include <unistd.h> int main() { char buf; if (fork()) { /*parent */ ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: milouz
1 Replies

6. Programming

fork&pipe "interpretting" shell - problem

hello everybode.Got some sort of "problems" with this stuff; well this is a program int main() { int Pipe; int origStdin, origStdout; int childPID; origStdin = dup(0); origStdout = dup(1); pipe(Pipe); if( (childPID = fork()) < 0 ) { perror(... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: IdleProc
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

can't close stdin/stdout in shell

#!/bin/sh exec 0</dev/null exec 1>/dev/null ls -l /proc/self/fd >&2 produces total 0 lr-x------ 1 tyler users 64 Feb 18 10:38 0 -> /proc/7886/fd lrwx------ 1 tyler users 64 Feb 18 10:38 1 -> /dev/pts/4 lrwx------ 1 tyler users 64 Feb 18 10:38 2 -> /dev/pts/4 I've verified the shell is... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Corona688
10 Replies

8. Programming

read and write stdin/stdout in unix

Hi, i am using the below program to read from the standard input or to write to standard out put. i know that using highlevel functions this can be done better than what i have done here. i just want to know is there any other method by which i find the exact number of characters ( this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrUser
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

STDIN and STDOUT

Hallo, i have a script like: if ;then echo "OK" else echo "ERROR $2 is missing" fi; if ;then touch $2 fi; if ;then cat $1 | grep xy > $2 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eightball
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[stdin / stdout] Strategies for redirecting outputs

Well.. let's say i need to write a pretty simple script. In my script i have 2 variables which can have value of 0 or 1. $VERBOSE $LOG I need to implement these cases: ($VERBOSE = 0 && $LOG = 0) => ONLY ERROR output (STDERR to console && STDOUT to /dev/null) ($VERBOSE = 1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Marmz
5 Replies
SPELL(1)						      General Commands Manual							  SPELL(1)

NAME
spell - GNU spell, a Unix spell emulator SYNOPSIS
spell [options] files ... DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the spell command. This manual page was written for the Debian GNU/Linux distribution (but may be used by others), because the original program does not have a manual page. Instead, it has documentation in the GNU Info format; see below. spell is a program that emulates the traditional Unix spell command by calling the Ispell utility. It is a spell checking program which prints each misspelled word on a line of its own. OPTIONS
The programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options are included below. For a complete description, see the Info files. -I, --ispell-version Print Ispell's version. -V, --version Print the version number. -b, --british Use the British dictionary. -d, --dictionary=FILE Use FILE to look up words. -h, --help Print a summary of the options. -i, --ispell=PROGRAM Calls PROGRAM as Ispell. -D, --ispell-dictionary=DICTIONARY Use the named DICTIONARY to look up words. -l, --all-chains Ignored; for compatibility. -n, --number Print line numbers before lines. -o, --print-file-name Print file names before lines. -s, --stop-list=FILE Ignored; for compatibility. -v, --verbose Print words not literally found. -x, --print-stems Ignored; for compatibility. SEE ALSO
The programs are documented fully by GNU Spell, a clone of Unix `spell', available via the Info system. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Dominik Kubla <dominik@debian.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system. SPELL(1)