Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: weird echo output?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting weird echo output? Post 302178131 by TinCanFury on Monday 24th of March 2008 06:40:49 PM
Old 03-24-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by era
Did you try trimming the assumed carriage returns from the file? If something is fetching data from the Internet then the protocol is probably using carriage returns, and they might survive into your files (depending on the client which fetches them).
well that was it, the original source of the information was from a dos file. I ran dos2unix on it and ran the script and it worked fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by era
There's a book about awk & sed from O'Reilly, it's very old but also very much worth reading. Also most Unix intro books have a few chapters dedicated to regular expression tools in general, and grep and sed in particular, then moving on to awk. The manual page is not particularly gruesome, either, although of course it's primarily intended as a reference, not a tutorial.
I'll have look into it, thanks for the help!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Weird bootlist output

just setup a new system today - 9117 570, using HMC for console but not partitioned. I installed this system twice. the first time it started off as 5300-00, then updated to ML03. before the update, I believe I mirrored the rootvg, and then altered the bootlist, at that point, the display was... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: davew1099
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Weird character in between echo function

Hi All, Appreciate if anyone can help. I've a script where it does echo function like this while do FILE_ARG="cu0${w}_${FILE}_${DT}.av" ORACLE_ERROR=`grep "ORA-" ${FILE_ARG}` if ]; then Func_Log_Writer "Fail! ${FILE_ARG}\n" Func_Log_Writer "Error message:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: agathaeleanor
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

format of output is weird

hi all, have a ksh script which connects to a database and runs a sql and dumps it to a '.csv' file. The problem is the result is in multiple rows with long spaces in between when it should be just a single line and this screws up the format in the '.csv' file. script is : #!/bin/ksh... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cesarNZ
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

weird 'ls' output

Hi, Anyone knows why I can't display the contents of my directory and how to fix this? http://i50.tinypic.com/4smfth.jpg Thanks in advance for any advise. Deanne Double post. Continued here. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deanne
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

In bash getting weird output from function ?

My script- result="" times() { echo "inside the times function" result=8 echo "Inside function $result" return $result } result=$(times) echo "the value is "$? echo "the value of result $result" when I run I get this, why the value still remain 0. $ ./func the value is 0 the value... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: boy18nj
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Traceroute script weird output

This script is giving weird output #!/bin/bash NETPATH=(`/bin/traceroute -n 4.2.2.2 | awk '{print $2}'`) for i in "${NETPATH}" do echo $i done The output: to 11.11.11.1 1.1.1.1 99.111.208.2 traceroute_test.sh traceroute_test.sh (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: thumbs
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Weird tail output over ssh

Hello; Am trying to correct the formatting of tail output over ssh. Using the following code: echo "" > $FILE for BOX in $SERVERS do echo "Processing on $BOX" |tee -a $FILE echo "===============================" >> $FILE sudo ssh $BOX 'TERMINAL="vt100" /usr/bin/sh -s' <... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: delphys
2 Replies

8. HP-UX

[Solved] Weird 'ls -l' output

Hello folks, I've found an HP-UX server with a rare 'ls -l' output. Please see the attached file. Anybody knows how can I change the output to not have this extra tabulations? Thanks in advance! (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: carpannav
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Weird output from ps command

Hi Guys, I am regular Solaris user. I came across a weird problem that puzzled me. Hope you guys can help. I found that process's state(command & arguments) in two different variants of ps command is different. Can anyone explain how is this possible? bash-3.2$ ps -eLo pid,s,comm,args |... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: brij123
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep two files: -F flag gives weird output

Hi Members, I'm confused with grep -F option. Goal is to get all the lines from file2 that have exact gene name from gene list (file one). File one has list of genes: File two has lot more information pertinent to genes in file one: I use three following commands: 1) grep -wf gene... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: genome
9 Replies
Test::XML::Twig(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				      Test::XML::Twig(3pm)

NAME
Test::XML::Twig - Test XML::Twig handlers SYNOPSIS
use Test::XML::Twig tests => 2; use My::Twig qw( handler ); test_twig_handler( &handler, '<foo/>', '<bar/>', 'turns foo to bar', ); test_twig_handlers( { twig_handlers => { 'foo' => &handler } }, '<foo/>', '<bar/>', 'turns foo into bar', ); DESCRIPTION
This module is for testing XML::Twig handlers. FUNCTIONS
All functions are exported. get_twig ( INPUT [, ARGS ] ) Return a parsed twig of INPUT, or undef on parse failure. Optionally, ARGS may be supplied as a set of hash-like parameters to be passed into the twig constructor. test_twig_handler ( HANDLER, INPUT, EXPECTED, TESTNAME [, COND ] ) Parse INPUT, using HANDLER as a twig_handler (i.e: it gets called after the parse tree has been built). Tests that the result is the same as EXPECTED (which can be either a string of XML or a quoted regex). HANDLER must be a code ref. Optionally, COND can be supplied. Instead of the handler being called with the root element of INPUT, COND will be used with first_child() to select an alternative element. Returns true / false depending upon test success. test_twig_handlers ( ARGS, INPUT, EXPECTED, TESTNAME ) This is similiar to test_twig_handler(), but with more flexibility. The first argument, ARGS, is a hash reference which can be used to specify any of the ordinary parameters to twig's constructor. This lets you test things like start_tag_handlers, as well as multiple twig_handlers together. SEE ALSO
Test::More, Test::XML, XML::Twig. AUTHOR
Dominic Mitchell, <cpan2 (at) semantico.com> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright 2002 by semantico This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.14.2 2009-07-02 Test::XML::Twig(3pm)