Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users crash: vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4: not support a file format? Post 302178040 by kholostoi on Monday 24th of March 2008 11:24:40 AM
Old 03-24-2008
I spent two day in googgle to seek this problem, and found somethings:
--------------------------------------
1. acording to "man crash":
namelist
This is a pathname to an uncompressed kernel image (a vmlinux file) that has been compiled with the "-g" option, or that has an accessible, associated

In my opinion,I think that "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4" was not compiled with the "-g" option, So result of command:
$ crash -s System.map-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4
is:
"crash: vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4: not support a file format?"

2. I found a white paper about crash:
http://people.redhat.com/anderson/crash_whitepaper/

and then install kernel-debuginfo for Fedora 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4. As a result, I have uncompressed kernel image file:
/usr/lib/debug/lib/modules/2.6.11-1.1369_FC4/vmlinux
I try to run command:
$ crash
but it also did not work:
crash: /usr/lib/debug/lib/modules/2.6.11-1.1369_FC4/vmlinux /dev/crash do not match.

In fact: /dev/crash does not exist

3. Try to another way:

3.1 list all symbols in vmlinux:
$ nm -Bn /usr/lib/debug/lib/modules/2.6.11-1.1369_FC4/vmlinux
then we can get all symbols in file: /proc/kallsyms
(we can check it by: $ cat /proc/kallsyms)

3.2 try to run command again:
$ crash /usr/lib/debug/lib/modules/2.6.11-1.1369_FC4/vmlinux /proc/kallsyms

but it did not work . The result is:
crash: not found "_End"

4. I don't know how to run this command in my PC . Can anyone help me?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Convert UTF8 Format file to ANSI format

:) Hi i am trying to convert a file which is in UTF8 format to ANSI format i tried to use the function ICONV but it is throwing error Function i used it as $ iconv -f UTF8 -t ANSI filename Error iam getting is NOT Supported UTF8 to ANSI please some help me out on this.........Let me... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajreddy
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Convert UTF8 Format file to ANSI format

:confused: Hi i am trying to convert a file which is in UTF8 format to ANSI format i tried to use the function ICONV but it is throwing error Function i used it as $ iconv -f UTF8 -t ANSI filename Error iam getting is NOT Supported UTF8 to ANSI please some help me out on... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajreddy
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To convert multi format file to a readable ascii format

Hi I have a file which has ascii , binary, binary decimal coded,decimal & hexadecimal data with lot of special characters (like öƒ.ƒ.„İİ¡Š·œƒ.„İİ¡Š· ) in it. I want to standardize the file into ASCII format & later use that as source . Can any one suggest a way a logic to convert such... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaur.deepti
5 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris 10 zone crash dump file?

Hi, I'm running Solaris 10 with a zone called "testzone" If I do a "reboot -d" on the host, as expected the kernet panics, reboots and creates a crash dump file in /var/crash However no crash file is created in testzone. My question is how can I tell if a zone crashs or shuts down... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fastexit
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting windows format file to unix format using script

Hi, I am having couple of files which i used to copy from windows to Linux, so now in case of text files (CTRL^M) appears at end of line. I know i can convert this windows format file to unix format file by running dos2unix. My requirement here is that i want to do it automatically using a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
5 Replies

6. Red Hat

[RHEL6]Uncompress vmlinuz to vmlinux

Hi, I cannot uncompress it using standard command: od -A d -t x1 vmlinuz | grep '1f 8b 08 00' dd if=vmlinuz bs=1 skip=24584 | zcat > vmlinux > gzip: stdin: not in gzip format(of course 24584 is output from 1st command + 8) I try to do it with: vmlinuz-2.6.32-131.4.1.el6.x86_64... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chrisdot
2 Replies

7. Solaris

copy crash dump file

Hi gurus, I will be glad if anyone can help me with this: How do you copy a crash dump file to send to your support provider? Thanks lots guys. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cjashu
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to format one txt file to required format

Hello Everyone, I have one source file which is genarated by SAP in different format(Which I've never seen). I need to convert that file to required format and I need to read this target file from Datastage to use this in my Jobs. So I do not have any other options except to use Unix script to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prathyu
4 Replies
cr_read(3)						     Library Functions Manual							cr_read(3)

NAME
cr_read - read from crash dump SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
The function attempts to read the memory area defined by mem_page and num_pages into the buffer pointed to by buf from the crash dump opened using crash_cb. The starts at the position in the crash dump associated with the physical memory offset given by mem_page. If the physical memory page mem_page does not exist in the crash dump, sets *num_pages to 0 and returns 0. No data transfer will occur past a page of memory that does not exist in the crash dump. If the starting position, mem_page, plus the read length, *num_pages, goes past an area of memory that does not exist in the crash dump, sets *num_pages to the number of consecutive pages (starting at mem_page) actually read. RETURN VALUE
Returns zero for success. Other possible return values are described in libcrash(5). EXAMPLES
Assuming a process opened a crash dump, the following call to cr_read(3) reads the first pages from the crash dump into the buffer pointed to by mybuf: WARNINGS
may return fewer pages than requested due to implementation details. Always check the number of pages returned. If they are fewer than requested, issue a new request starting at the first page not returned. Only if that new request reads zero pages (or returns an error) can you be sure that the page was not dumped. AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
cr_open(3), libcrash(5). cr_read(3)