Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Use of Cut Command
Operating Systems AIX Use of Cut Command Post 302177738 by DukeNuke2 on Sunday 23rd of March 2008 04:15:19 AM
Old 03-23-2008
you don't have ":" in your file so you can't use it as delimiter!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

CUT Command

Hi, Can anyone tell me if I can apply multiple cut on a single variable like below in a sh script: tmp=`cut -c 1-4 $val` tmp1=`cut -c 5-12 $val` tmp2=`cut -c 13-18 $val` If not, what is the other way to do this. Thanks and Best Regards Shoeb (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoeb_syed
17 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cut command

i have the following line set line=abc d efg h^ijklmno and then i say: echo $line | cut -d^ -f1 i want to receive this: abc d efg h instead i receive this: abc d efg h how can i ignore blanks in the cut command? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tolkki
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cut Command help

Hi , I am new to Unix.I have a shell script whenere I wnat to find if a particular server is running and kill all the instances of it (running on different ports) script filename to start the srever is say abcd If i do ps -eaf | grep abc I get all the instances of srever running .In the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shradham
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut command help

n2=user1 pts/3 2010-06-29 01 Now i want to split this string with space(' ') character. After splitting output would be: use1 pts/3 2010-06-29 01 I did: nn=${n2} | cut -d ' ' -f2 echo ${nn} It prints nothing. I want the output: pts/3 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut Command error cut: Bad range

Hi Can anyone what I am doing wrong while using cut command. for f in *.log do logfilename=$f Log "Log file Name: $logfilename" logfile1=`basename $logfilename .log` flength=${#logfile1} Log "file length $flength" from_length=$(($flength - 15)) Log "from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgmm
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cut pid from ps using cut command

hay i am trying to get JUST the PID from the ps command. my command line is: ps -ef | grep "mintty" | cut -d' ' -f2 but i get an empty line. i assume that the delimiter is not just one space character, but can't figure out what should i do in order to do that. i know i can use awk or cut... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ran ber
8 Replies

7. AIX

Need help on cut command

HI, i have data in one variable like out=/usr/sbin/filename and i want output like only out=filename how to do (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumanthupar
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut command

Hi All, I am a beginner learning shell script, Would it be possible to use -c and -f in cut command together ? Example : /opt/oracle/work/Antony/Shell_Script> cat shortlist 2233|a.k. shukula |g.m. |sales2 |12/12/52 |6000 1006|chanchal singhvi ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Antony Ankrose
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Cut command: can't make it cut fields

I'm a complete beginner in UNIX (and not a computer science student either), just undergoing a tutoring course. Trying to replicate the instructions on my own I directed output of the ls listing command (lists all files of my home directory ) to My_dir.tsv file (see the screenshot) to make use of... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: scrutinizerix
9 Replies
GETDELIM(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 					       GETDELIM(3)

NAME
getdelim, getline -- read a delimited record from a stream LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> ssize_t getdelim(char ** restrict lineptr, size_t * restrict n, int delimiter, FILE * restrict stream); ssize_t getline(char ** restrict lineptr, size_t * restrict n, FILE * restrict stream); DESCRIPTION
The getdelim() function reads from the stream until it encounters a character matching delimiter, storing the input in *lineptr. The buffer is NUL-terminated and includes the delimiter. The delimiter character must be representable as an unsigned char. If *n is non-zero, then *lineptr must be pre-allocated to at least *n bytes. The buffer should be allocated dynamically; it must be possible to free(3) *lineptr. getdelim() ensures that *lineptr is large enough to hold the input, updating *n to reflect the new size. The getline() function is equivalent to getdelim() with delimiter set to the newline character. RETURN VALUES
The getdelim() and getline() functions return the number of characters read, including the delimiter. If no characters were read and the stream is at end-of-file, the functions return -1. If an error occurs, the functions return -1 and the global variable errno is set to indi- cate the error. The functions do not distinguish between end-of-file and error, and callers must use feof(3) and ferror(3) to determine which occurred. EXAMPLES
The following code fragment reads lines from a file and writes them to standard output. char *line = NULL; size_t linesize = 0; ssize_t linelen; while ((linelen = getline(&line, &linesize, fp)) != -1) fwrite(line, linelen, 1, stdout); if (ferror(fp)) perror("getline"); ERRORS
[EINVAL] lineptr or n is a NULL pointer. [EOVERFLOW] More than SSIZE_MAX characters were read without encountering the delimiter. The getdelim() and getline() functions may also fail and set errno for any of the errors specified in the routines fflush(3), malloc(3), read(2), stat(2), or realloc(3). SEE ALSO
ferror(3), fgets(3), fopen(3) STANDARDS
The getdelim() and getline() functions conform to IEEE Std 1003.1-2008 (``POSIX.1''). BSD
June 30, 2010 BSD