Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Extracting from a tar archive file Post 302177655 by nmalencia on Saturday 22nd of March 2008 06:43:34 AM
Old 03-22-2008
Extracting from a tar archive file

Can I extract files from an archive file (tar), where the filename includes the full directory path, to a different directory?

For example the archive files may have a filename of
/SrcFiles/XXX/filename.dat
and I want to extract it to /SrcFiles/YYY/filename.dat. Since the archive file was created on another server, the /SrcFiles/YYY directory does not exist on the server I want to extract it to.

I understand I could create this directory temporarily on the target server, but there are reasons why I can not do that. Do I have any other options?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

extracting from a tar file

Dear experts I have received a tar file containing several files with full path. Now I need to restore it in another system but when I want to extract files by using tar -xvf tarfile it wants to create all files with full paths again in new system in which I don't have enough previleges. How... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reza Nazarian
4 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Extracting from a tar file

Can I extract files from an archive file (tar), where the filename includes the full directory path, to a different directory? For example the archive files may have a filename of /SrcFiles/XXX/filename.dat and I want to extract it to /SrcFiles/YYY/filename.dat. Since the archive file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nmalencia
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read specific file from a zip archive without extracting

Hi All, I would like to extract specific file from a zip archive. I have a zip archive "sample.zip". sample.zip contains few text files and images... text1.txt, text2.txt, pic.jpg etc... I need to read specific file "text2.txt" from "sample.zip" WITHOUT EXTRACTING the zip file. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sridharg
4 Replies

4. Solaris

option to delete .tar file while extracting

Is there an option in tar which deletes the .tar file as soon as it is successfully extracted. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vickylife
5 Replies

5. Programming

read file from tar.gz archive

I want to write a c-program which reads a textfile from a tar.gz archive. How can I do it? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: krylin
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting from archive | compressing to new archive

Hi there, I have one huge archive (it's a system image). I need sometime to create smaller archives with only one or two file from my big archive. So I'm looking for a command that extracts files from an archive and pipe them to another one. I tried the following : tar -xzOf oldarchive.tgz... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Issue in extracting Tar and Zipped file.

Hi, I want to tar files and zip them in order to clean up space in directory. I have files like /path/file1 /path file2. What I am trying to do is: Option 1: tar -cvf /path/file1 /path file2 | gzip > test.tar.gz I got the file created. But while trying to extract the Tar and zipped file, I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Quesemail
1 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Creating and extracting archive file

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Hi there, I wish to create a single .tar file of the current directory but have literally no idea on where to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Banned
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem extracting zipped tar file

I was extracting the zipped tar file with the command gzip -dc Sample.tar.gz |tar xf - The tar file contained many delimited files; but lately they changed the structure of the tar file with another folder. So now all the delimited files are inside a folder called "Folder1" and the folder... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: asandy1234
6 Replies

10. OS X (Apple)

Uncompressing but not extracting tar.Z file

Hi I have a few hundred files with extension .tar.Z. These files were archived (tar) and compressed (Z) on a UNIX system. I need to unzip them but not extract them. In other words they need to go to .tar extension. I would like to do this on my MAC or on a windows pc. I do not have a UNIX... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalbano
3 Replies
ARK(1)                                                           KDE User's Manual                                                          ARK(1)

NAME
ark - KDE archiving tool SYNOPSIS
ark [-b] [-a] [-e] [-c] [-f suffix] [-p] [-t file] [-d] [-o directory] [KDE Generic Options] [Qt(TM) Generic Options] DESCRIPTION
Ark is a program for managing various compressed file formats within KDE. Archives can be viewed, extracted, created and modified with Ark. The program can handle various formats such as tar, gzip, bzip2, zip, rar (when the appropriate libraries or command-line programs are installed). OPERATION MODES
Ark can be used either as a stand-alone GUI program as well as a command-line program in order to perform some specific tasks. If invoked without the -b (--batch) or -c (--add) options, Ark is started as a normal GUI program. When the -b (--batch) option is used, Ark can be used to extract the contents of one or more files directly from the command-line, without launching its GUI. When the -c (--add) option is used, Ark prompts for files that should be added to a new archive or to an existing archive. OPTIONS
-d, --dialog Show a dialog for specifying the options for a batch or add operation. -o, --destination directory Default the extraction directory to directory. If not passed, the current path is used. Options for adding files -c, --add Query the user for an archive filename and add specified files to it. Quit when finished. -t, --add-to filename Add the specified files to filename. Create archive if it does not exist. Quit when finished. -p, --changetofirstpath Change the current directory to the first entry and add all other entries relative to this one. -f, --autofilename suffix Automatically choose a filename, with the selected suffix (for example rar, tar.gz, zip or any other supported types). Options for batch extraction b, --batch Use the batch interface instead of the usual dialog. This option is implied if more than one url is specified. -e, --autodestination The destination argument will be set to the path of the first file supplied. -a, --autosubfolder Archive contents will be read, and if detected to not be a single folder archive, a subfolder by the name of the archive will be created. EXAMPLES
ark --batch archive.tar.bz2 Will extract archive.tar.bz2 into the current directory without showing any GUI. ark -b -d archive.tar.bz2 archive2.zip Will first show an extraction options dialog and then extract both archive.tar.bz2 and archive2.zip into the directory chosen in the dialog. ark --add-to my-archive.zip photo1.jpg text.txt Will create my-archive.zip if does not exist and then add photo1.jpg and text.txt to it. AUTHORS
Ark is currently maintained by Harald Hvaal haraldhv@stud.ntnu.no and Raphael Kubo da Costa kubito@gmail.com. This man page was first written by Lauri Watts lauri@kde.org in 2005 for KDE 3.4, and was later updated in 2009 by Raphael Kubo da Costa kubito@gmail.com. AUTHORS
Lauri Watts <lauri@kde.org> Author. Raphael Kubo da Costa <kubito@gmail.com> Author. K Desktop Environment 2.13 (KD 2009-09-10 ARK(1)