Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users List Process with their Status. Post 302177628 by varungupta on Friday 21st of March 2008 09:27:06 PM
Old 03-21-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim mcnamara
ps will give you the status as sleeping or running or zombie
Orhpans = either zombies or daemons. daemons show owner=root and parent pid = 1
Ended process means looking into accounting files like wtmp, bmtp, or utmp for process entries with ut_type=USER_PROCESS (in C code).
Hey,

Thanks for the reply first.
Can you tell me how to list those processes with their status ?
as in using ps -ef command.
I am using AIX5.3 flavor of unix.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Process status display

On AIX 5.2, I use "ps -ef " command to display the process status, the field of command looks like: , the detailed contents are: # ps -ef |grep rtesfmrt Display: osa 32455 1 0 18:20 - 1:57 The origianl format shoud be: osa 32455 1 0 18:20 - 1:57 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Frank2004
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Getting status of a signal in process?

Hi all, How can a process be aware of the signals it handles. I looked at available signal API, but couldn't find any help. If a process defines it own handler for a signal, the default handler for that signal becomes overridden. I am interested in getting to know the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluehive
2 Replies

3. Programming

process status

hello everybody!! i want to post a question! is there any way to get process status using C commands? To be more specific, i want to know whether a process is running or is stop or killed. thanks in advance! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nicos
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing the Status of a Process in an Instance

Hi, I am executing the command: "./opmnctl status" to get the status of the processes in the instance. There are totally 5 processes that are avaialble, out of which 3 are "Alive" and 2 are "Down". How can I use the IF loop to get the status and echo it?? For instance I want to run a check... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoursdavinder
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Status of a Linux process

All, I have fair amount of knowledge about shell scripting, but only liitle on system administration. I would like to know how to analyze whether the particular linux process is alive or not ? If it is alive, will it affect the performace of other process ?. Also is it still consuming... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: apsprabhu
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Check the process Status and do something

Hi we have weblogic deployed under Linux Enterprise 5 . Now i want to write a script that checks if weblogic is running or not I have found that weblogic uses Java as process . Can i do this way : my Script File : Echo Checking Status if then echo Server Running else echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravi Pavanv
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check the process status

Hi, I have a cron job which runs every ten minutes, now i hav to check the process whether it is running or not only once and then this should be sent to a log file.. crontab : 00,10,20,30,40,50 * * * * a process check ps = 'ps -ef |grep a ' if then echo " Success" >... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NehaKrish
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Process status for NOHUP command

Hi, I have run a shell script as a background process using 'nohup' command. I want to see the process id of this, so that I will be able to kill it later on when required. I tried to collect these details using 'ps' command and could not view this information. How do we get this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dev_Dev
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I learn the status of a process

how can I learn the status of a process (sleeping, running or ready.) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: merturk
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Check status of process

Hi All, Have a query How to check for a process and if down start it , try if for 2 times and its not starting don't do it My code is working to some extent but while starting try starting both times. Please advise , whats wrong here ? if you have any other approach please do share. My... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhaydas
1 Replies
preap(1)                                                           User Commands                                                          preap(1)

NAME
preap - force a defunct process to be reaped by its parent SYNOPSIS
preap [-F] pid... DESCRIPTION
A defunct (or zombie) process is one whose exit status has yet to be reaped by its parent. The exit status is reaped via the wait(3C), waitid(2), or waitpid(3C) system call. In the normal course of system operation, zombies may occur, but are typically short-lived. This may happen if a parent exits without having reaped the exit status of some or all of its children. In that case, those children are reparented to PID 1. See init(1M), which periodically reaps such processes. An irresponsible parent process may not exit for a very long time and thus leave zombies on the system. Since the operating system destroys nearly all components of a process before it becomes defunct, such defunct processes do not normally impact system operation. However, they do consume a small amount of system memory. preap forces the parent of the process specified by pid to waitid(3C) for pid, if pid represents a defunct process. preap will attempt to prevent the administrator from unwisely reaping a child process which might soon be reaped by the parent, if: o The process is a child of init(1M). o The parent process is stopped and might wait on the child when it is again allowed to run. o The process has been defunct for less than one minute. OPTIONS
The following option is supported: -F Forces the parent to reap the child, overriding safety checks. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: pid Process ID list. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned by preap, which prints the exit status of each target process reaped: 0 Successfully operation. non-zero Failure, such as no such process, permission denied, or invalid option. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu (32-bit) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | |SUNWesxu (64-bit) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
proc(1), init(1M), waitid(2), wait(3C), waitpid(3C), proc(4), attributes(5) WARNINGS
preap should be applied sparingly and only in situations in which the administrator or developer has confirmed that defunct processes will not be reaped by the parent process. Otherwise, applying preap may damage the parent process in unpredictable ways. SunOS 5.10 26 Mar 2001 preap(1)