Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extract words before and after a pattern/regexp Post 302177404 by manthasirisha on Friday 21st of March 2008 02:45:15 AM
Old 03-21-2008
Thanks Summer cherry! You got my question and nawk does the work, but can't we get this done by writing a simple regular expression?

Thanks again!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with regexp for IP-Adress Pattern

Hi all Unix Gurus! Since hours (even days :-)) I'm trying to find the correct pattern to search for IP addesses in text files. The pattern to find a IP address itself is not too difficult: '((||1{2}|2|2{2})\.){3,}(||1{2}|2|2{2})' BUT, of course the above pattern is also matching lines like... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: desertchannel
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

I am trying to find pattern between two words but unable to get that pattern..

HI.... It's fallow up file .. #./show.sh click enter button.. i am gettng the fallowup file. its keep on running every time why because there are lots of users working on it. In that file i want to search pattern between two words for ex: SELECT DISTINCT... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksr.test
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract string until regexp from backside

Hi, I searched in the forums, but I didn't find a good solution. My problem is: I have a string like "TEST.ABC201005.MONTHLY.D101010203". I just want to have the string until the D100430, so that the string should look like: "TEST.ABC201005.MONTHLY.D" The last characters after the D can be... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: elifchen
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a pattern,extract value(s) from next line, extract lines having those extracted value(s)

I have hundreds of files to process. In each file I need to look for a pattern then extract value(s) from next line and then search for value(s) selected from point (2) in the same file at a specific position. HEADER ELECTRON TRANSPORT 18-MAR-98 1A7V TITLE CYTOCHROME... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: AshwaniSharma09
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Match Pattern after certain pattern and Print words next to Pattern

Hi experts , im new to Unix,AWK ,and im just not able to get this right. I need to match for some patterns if it matches I need to print the next few words to it.. I have only three such conditions to match… But I need to print only those words that comes after satisfying the first condition..... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 100bees
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl regexp to extract first and second column

Hi, I am trying with the below Perl one-liner using regular expression to extract the first and second column of a text file: perl -p -e "s/\s*(\w+).*/$1/" perl -p -e "s/\s*.+\s(.+)\s*/$1\n/" whereas the text file's data looks like: Error: terminated 2233 Warning: reboot 3434 Warning:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract words starting with a pattern from a file

Hi Guys.. I have a file and i want to extract all words that starts with a pattern 'ABC_' or 'ADF_' For example, ABC.txt ---- INSERT INTO ABC_DLKFJAL_FJKLD SELECT DISTINCT S,B,C FROM ADF_DKF_KDFJ_IERU8 A, ABC_LKDJFREUE9_FJKDF B WHERE A.FI=B.EI; COMMIT; Output : ABS_DLKFJAL_FJKLD,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pramod_009
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk regexp to print repetitive pattern

How to use regexp to print out repetitive pattern in awk? $ awk '{print $0, "-\t-\t-\t-\t-\t-\t-\t-\t-\t-\t-\t-"}' output: - - - - - - - - - - - -I tried following which does not give what I want, of course. awk '{print $0, "-\t{11}-"}' output: - ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract whole word preceding a specific character pattern with first occurence of the pattern

Hello. Here is a file contents : declare -Ax NEW_FORCE_IGNORE_ARRAY=(="§" ="§" ="§" ="§" ="§" .................. ="§"Here is a pattern =I want to extract 'NEW_FORCE_IGNORE_ARRAY' which is the whole word before the first occurrence of pattern '=' Is there a better solution than mine :... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

TCL script to delete a pattern(regexp)

Hi I am writing a TCL script to delete a certain in a file My Input file module bist_logic_inst(a, ab , dhd, dhdh , djdj, hdh, djjd, jdj, dhd, dhp, dk ); input a; input ab; input dhd; input djdj; input dhd; output hdh; output djjd; output jdj; output dk; (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kshitij
1 Replies
AUSEARCH_ADD_REGEX(3)						  Linux Audit API					     AUSEARCH_ADD_REGEX(3)

NAME
ausearch_add_regex - use regular expression search rule SYNOPSIS
#include <auparse.h> int ausearch_add_regex(auparse_state_t *au, const char *expr); DESCRIPTION
ausearch_add_regex adds one search condition based on a regular expression to the current audit search expression. The search conditions can then be used to scan logs, files, or buffers for something of interest. The regular expression follows the posix extended regular expression conventions, and is matched against the full record (without interpreting field values). If an existing search expression E is already defined, this function replaces it by (E && this_regexp). RETURN VALUE
Returns -1 if an error occurs; otherwise, 0 for success. SEE ALSO
ausearch_add_expression(3), ausearch_add_item(3), ausearch_clear(3), ausearch_next_event(3), regcomp(3). AUTHOR
Steve Grubb Red Hat Sept 2007 AUSEARCH_ADD_REGEX(3)