Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Else Loop Exiting Early
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Else Loop Exiting Early Post 302177217 by GregWold on Thursday 20th of March 2008 10:28:39 AM
Old 03-20-2008
Question Else Loop Exiting Early

All,

I'm having a problem w/this function. Specifically, I want to call another function (get_stats) when the process in the else completes (the initial if and the elsif seem to work fine). But what's happening is the get_stats function call is running after the else runs only once, NOT when it completes. I need the else condtion to run until the process completes, THEN call get_stats. Thanks in advance!

check_ul_process()
{
PROGRAM=8675309
LONG_SLEEP=5
SLEEP_TIME=1
UL_PROCESS=$(ps -eaf | grep $PROGRAM | grep -v grep | wc -l)

# if 8675309 isn't running
# and it's not being run by cron,
# re-check

if [ $UL_PROCESS -eq 0 ]
then
while [ $LONG_SLEEP -gt 0 ]
do
if test $STARTED_BY_CRON = "False"
then
echo "\rTime to next check - $LONG_SLEEP\c"
fi
let LONG_SLEEP=LONG_SLEEP-1
sleep $SLEEP_TIME
done

LONG_SLEEP=5
check_ul_process
elsif [ $UL_PROCESS -eq 0 -a $UL_FILE_TYPE = TEMP ]

# if a ul_temp file exists
# and 8675309 is not running,
# log error and exit.

echo $(expr substr $(hostname) 5 2 | tr 'a-z' 'A-Z') "::" $(date +'%D %T') ":: Exiting. A .ul_temp file exists, but the upload process isn't running." >> /ops/log/ulgen_report.log #~/test_report.log
exit
else

# if 8675309 is running
# and it's not being run by cron,
# check it until it completes

while [ $LONG_SLEEP -gt 0 ]
do
if test $STARTED_BY_CRON = "False"
then
echo "\rTime to next check - $LONG_SLEEP\c"
fi
let LONG_SLEEP=LONG_SLEEP-1
sleep $SLEEP_TIME
done

LONG_SLEEP=5
get_stats
exit
fi
}

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash: Exiting while true loop when terminal is not the focus window

I am running an Ubuntu Gutsy laptop with Advanced Compiz fusion options enabled. I am using xdotool to simulate keyboard input in order to rotate through multiple desktops. I am looking for a way to kill a while true loop when the Enter key (or Control+C if it is easier) is pushed when the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: acclaypool
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

exiting from a loop

I wonder if someone could help me here. I am trying to find a way of exiting from a loop but not exiting me from the script for example #!/bin/ksh # ************* FUNCTIONS ****************** function1() { #ping test ping $1 2 > /dev/null if ; then ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
13 Replies

3. UNIX Benchmarks

Early PowerMac G5

Hardware Overview: Model Name: Power Mac G5 Model Identifier: PowerMac7,2 Processor Name: PowerPC 970 (2.2) Processor Speed: 1.8 GHz Number Of CPUs: 2 L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB Memory: 1.5 GB Bus Speed: 900 MHz Boot ROM Version:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tnorth
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

"while read ..." loop exiting after reading only one record

Greeting, The following script completes after reading only one record from the input file that contains many records. I commented out the "ssh" and get what I expect, an echo of all the records in the input.txt file. Is ssh killing the file handle? On the box "uname -a" gives "SunOS... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: twk
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in exiting a loop

Hi my code looks like: if test $STEP -le 10 then . . ls -1d AM*-OUT|while read MYDIR do cd $MYDIR ls |tail -n1| while read MYFILE do . . if test -s $MYFILE then sqlldr .... rc=$? if test $rc -ne 0 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anijan
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop Forever Script Strangely Exiting

Hi, I have a really simple script which I want to run forever, inside the loop it runs a C application which if it exits should restart. #!/bin/sh while true do ./SCF scf.conf >> scf.log sleep 2 done For some reason the SCF C application coredumps and the script is exiting.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: marvinwright
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem exiting a WHILE loop in ksh

Hi I am having a problem exiting a WHILE loop. I am on a Sun server using ksh. I am running a Veritas Cluster Software (High Availablity) command to obtain a group status and grepping the command output for status "G" which means that the filesystem is frozen and therefore not available to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigbuk
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

While Loop Exiting

We are trying to design a flow so that an ETL job shouldn't start until the previous job completes. The script we have written is while ; do sleep 2; done The loop however exits even when the process is actually running. Why could this be happening? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerome_rajan
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

For loop exiting

Hi , I am processing some files using below shell script the problem for loop exit after processing some files even though it exist.After modifying file.txt and rerunning the script and its running .Any Advise for i in `cat /xx/file.txt |tr -s "," '\n' ` ; do echo $i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohan705
3 Replies
CRON(8) 						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						   CRON(8)

NAME
cron -- daemon to execute scheduled commands (ISC Cron V4.1) SYNOPSIS
cron [-n] [-x debugflags] DESCRIPTION
cron is normally started during system boot by rc.d(8) framework, if cron is switched on in rc.conf(5). It will return immediately so you don't have to start it with '&'. cron searches /var/cron/tabs for crontab files which are named after accounts in /etc/passwd. Crontabs found are loaded into memory. cron also searches for /etc/crontab which is in a different format (see crontab(5)). Finally cron looks for crontabs in /etc/cron.d if it exists, and executes each file as a crontab. When cron looks in a directory for crontabs (either in /var/cron/tabs or /etc/cron.d) it will not process files that: - Start with a '.' or a '#'. - End with a '~' or with ``.rpmsave'', ``.rpmorig'', or ``.rpmnew''. - Are of zero length. - Their length is greater than MAXNAMLEN. cron then wakes up every minute, examining all stored crontabs, checking each command to see if it should be run in the current minute. When executing commands, any output is mailed to the owner of the crontab (or to the user named in the MAILTO environment variable in the crontab, if such exists). Events such as START and FINISH are recorded in the /var/log/cron log file with date and time details. This information is useful for a num- ber of reasons, such as determining the amount of time required to run a particular job. By default, root has an hourly job that rotates these log files with compression to preserve disk space. Additionally, cron checks each minute to see if its spool directory's modtime (or the modtime on /etc/crontab or /etc/cron.d) has changed, and if it has, cron will then examine the modtime on all crontabs and reload those which have changed. Thus cron need not be restarted when- ever a crontab file is modified. Note that the crontab(1) command updates the modtime of the spool directory whenever it changes a crontab. The following options are available: -x This flag turns on some debugging flags. debugflags is comma-separated list of debugging flags to turn on. If a flag is turned on, cron writes some additional debugging information to system log during its work. Available debugging flags are: sch scheduling proc process control pars parsing load database loading misc miscellaneous test test mode - do not actually execute any commands bit show how various bits are set (long) ext print extended debugging information -n Stay in the foreground and don't daemonize cron. Daylight Saving Time and other time changes Local time changes of less than three hours, such as those caused by the start or end of Daylight Saving Time, are handled specially. This only applies to jobs that run at a specific time and jobs that are run with a granularity greater than one hour. Jobs that run more fre- quently are scheduled normally. If time has moved forward, those jobs that would have run in the interval that has been skipped will be run immediately. Conversely, if time has moved backward, care is taken to avoid running jobs twice. Time changes of more than 3 hours are considered to be corrections to the clock or timezone, and the new time is used immediately. SIGNALS
On receipt of a SIGHUP, the cron daemon will close and reopen its log file. This is useful in scripts which rotate and age log files. Natu- rally this is not relevant if cron was built to use syslog(3). FILES
/var/cron/tabs cron spool directory /etc/crontab system crontab file /etc/cron.d/ system crontab directory /var/log/cron log file for cron events SEE ALSO
crontab(1), crontab(5) AUTHORS
Paul Vixie <vixie@isc.org> BSD
October 12, 2011 BSD