Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting add text in the middle of file Post 302177193 by Shivdatta on Thursday 20th of March 2008 08:58:59 AM
Old 03-20-2008
How abt this

Code:
$cat test
first
second
fourth
fifth

$cat  test | awk '{print $0}(NR==2){print "third"}'
first
second
third
fourth
fifth

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert text into the middle of a original file

how do u insert text into a specific place in a file, say the middle for example, without changing the name for that file (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mopimp
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert text into first line of the file and middle of the file?

Script 1 Pre-requisites Create a file with x amount of lines in it, the content of your choice. Write a script that takes two arguments. The first being a line of text, the second being your newly created file. The script should take the first argument and insert it into the very top (the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali hussain
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

add a string in the middle of the file

i want to add a string in a very top of a file without using VI or SED or AWK this is what ive done: (echo '0a'; echo 'LINE OF TEXT'; echo '.'; echo 'wq') | ed -s myfile to add astrng right in the middle i could have count the lines of the file and just chenge the address. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ciroredz
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert text in the middle of a file

I want to insert a text into the middle of a file (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: relle
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to insert text in the middle of a file

Hey guys, how do we take a line of text as an argument from a user and then insert it in the middle of a file irrespective of the number of lines in the file. I am trying to do this without SED or AWK. Inserting it in the beginning and at the end is easy, but i am trying to accomplish inserting... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kartikkumar84@g
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to add a single line to middle of text file.

I've got a configuration file that is filled with xml text statements for example: <...../> <...../> <...../> <data id="java-options" value="-server -Djava.security.policy..../> <...../> <...../> <...../> I want to write a korn shell script that will go to this specific line and add a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: progkcp
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Add string to middle of a file

Hi, I want to write a script that takes a file and a string as params and adds the string to the middle line of the file. Also, I want to output the results back to the original file passed without using temp files. I am very much new to UNIX so this is all a little like black magic to me at... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chiefos
15 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read from middle of a file for a particular text

Hi, Below is my issue which I desperately need and I want a shell script which can do this job. 1. There are 10 log files in a particular location. 2. open each log file. Goto to the end of the file. From the end go up to find a particular text. From this particular text till the end of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kashriram
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding Text To Middle Of File

Hi I am trying to write a bash script to add a line of text to the middle of a file. The way I worked it out was to calculate the number of lines and divide by 2. The file I am using is called newfile and it just contains lines of data. The new file I have created I have called midfile and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: BundBash
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert text in the middle of a file?

Hi, So far i've made a script that takes two argument, 1st is the contents and the 2nd is the named file. At the moment i've managed to insert new contents as a new line at the top, but i want to ask how can you insert contents in the middle of the file? Source Code #!/bin/bash #Write... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zen10
3 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)