Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: fork() and child processes
Top Forums Programming fork() and child processes Post 302176825 by green_dot on Wednesday 19th of March 2008 08:44:07 AM
Old 03-19-2008
fork() and child processes

Hello,

How many child processes are actually created when running this code ?

Code:
#include <signal.h>
#include <stdio.h>

int main () {
int i ;
setpgrp () ;
for (i = 0; i < 10; i++) {
if (fork () == 0) {
if ( i & 1 ) setpgrp () ;
printf ("Child id: %2d, group: %2d\n", getpid(), getpgrp()) ;
sleep (60) ;
exit (0) ;
}
}
kill (0, SIGINT) ;
return 0 ;
}

Last edited by Yogesh Sawant; 03-19-2008 at 09:50 AM.. Reason: added code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Reference Variables To A Child Process Created With Fork

Hi! IN THE FOLLOWING PROGRAM THE VALUE OF j REMAINS UNCHANGED . WHY ? IF I WANT A VARIABLE VALUE TO CHANGE LIKE THIS , IS THERE ANY WAY TO DO IT ? Or do we have to use shared memory variables? main() { int return_pid, i, total; int j=1; total = TOTALRECS+1; for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AJAY BHATIA
2 Replies

2. Programming

fork() with su (child with other user)

Hi all, i need to execute a program from within my c++ code. This is no problem. system(), fork(), execxy(). But now i want to able to execute the program as another user as the parent process. The whole thing is on solaris. I should be possible for both, users with no shell and no password... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: heck
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

fork() and child processes

Hello, How many child processes are actually created when running this code ? #include <signal.h> #include <stdio.h> int main () { int i ; setpgrp () ; for (i = 0; i < 10; i++) { if (fork () == 0) { if ( i & 1 ) setpgrp () ; printf ("Child id: %2d, group: %2d\n",... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: green_dot
1 Replies

4. Programming

Problems with child comunicating with parent on fork()

Hello, I'm trying to implement a version of a bucketSort (kinda) server/client, but I'm having a VERY hard time on making the server behave correctly, when talking to the children, after it forks. The server is kinda big (300+ lines), so I won't post it here, but here's what I'm doing. 1)create a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zarnick
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Conserving processes: execve() vs fork()

Disclaimer: This is just a rainy day experiment. There is no expected "goal" other than to understand UNIX better. After reading about fork and exec, my understanding is that forking, as the UNIX shell does by design, consequentially may sacrafice some speed versus an approach that runs in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: uiop44
1 Replies

6. Programming

fork(), parent and child processes???

Hi friends, I have a small question regarding unix system call fork, I hope you will solve my problem. Here is the small program $ cat fork1.c #include <stdio.h> #include <unistd.h> #include <sys/types.h> int main() { int pid; int x = 0; x = x + 1; pid = fork(); if(pid < 0) {... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabam
2 Replies

7. Programming

Generating Random Number in Child Process using Fork

Hello All, I am stuck up in a program where the rand functions ends up giving all the same integers. Tried sleep, but the numbers turned out to be same... Can anyone help me out how to fix this issue ? I have called the srand once in the program, but I feel like when I call fork the child process... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: manisum
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

fork processes

Hi, How to count how many processes opened by fork function in perl. Thanks (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anjan1
10 Replies

9. Programming

Creating more processes with fork()

Hello people I need help How to make ONE process to create MORE (not one) processes with fork(). I tried several codes but do not work. Thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nekoj
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Making processes using fork

Can anyone help me with this? Create a parent process that gets from the command line n arguments arg1, arg2, ... , argn. The parent will create n/3 son processes, each of them will create a file with the name argi by concatenate the files argi+1 and argi+2. How can i concatenate those... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bunicu01
1 Replies
SETPGID(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							SETPGID(2)

NAME
setpgid, getpgid, setpgrp, getpgrp - set/get process group SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int setpgid(pid_t pid, pid_t pgid); pid_t getpgid(pid_t pid); int setpgrp(void); pid_t getpgrp(void); DESCRIPTION
setpgid sets the process group ID of the process specified by pid to pgid. If pid is zero, the process ID of the current process is used. If pgid is zero, the process ID of the process specified by pid is used. If setpgid is used to move a process from one process group to another (as is done by some shells when creating pipelines), both process groups must be part of the same session. In this case, the pgid specifies an existing process group to be joined and the session ID of that group must match the session ID of the joining process. getpgid returns the process group ID of the process specified by pid. If pid is zero, the process ID of the current process is used. In the Linux DLL 4.4.1 library, setpgrp simply calls setpgid(0,0). getpgrp is equivalent to getpgid(0). Each process group is a member of a session and each process is a member of the session of which its process group is a member. Process groups are used for distribution of signals, and by terminals to arbitrate requests for their input: Processes that have the same process group as the terminal are foreground and may read, while others will block with a signal if they attempt to read. These calls are thus used by programs such as csh(1) to create process groups in implementing job control. The TIOCGPGRP and TIOCSPGRP calls described in termios(3) are used to get/set the process group of the control terminal. If a session has a controlling terminal, CLOCAL is not set and a hangup occurs, then the session leader is sent a SIGHUP. If the session leader exits, the SIGHUP signal will be sent to each process in the foreground process group of the controlling terminal. If the exit of the process causes a process group to become orphaned, and if any member of the newly-orphaned process group is stopped, then a SIGHUP signal followed by a SIGCONT signal will be sent to each process in the newly-orphaned process group. RETURN VALUE
On success, setpgid and setpgrp return zero. On error, -1 is returned, and errno is set appropriately. getpgid returns a process group on success. On error, -1 is returned, and errno is set appropriately. getpgrp always returns the current process group. ERRORS
EINVAL pgid is less than 0 (setpgid, setpgrp). EACCES An attempt was made to change the process group ID of one of the children of the calling process and the child had already performed an execve (setpgid, setpgrp). EPERM An attempt was made to move a process into a process group in a different session, or to change the process group ID of one of the children of the calling process and the child was in a different session, or to change the process group ID of a session leader (setpgid, setpgrp). ESRCH pid does not match any process. CONFORMING TO
The functions setpgid and getpgrp conform to POSIX.1. The function setpgrp is from BSD 4.2. The function getpgid conforms to SVr4. NOTES
POSIX took setpgid from the BSD function setpgrp. Also SysV has a function with the same name, but it is identical to setsid(2). To get the prototypes under glibc, define both _XOPEN_SOURCE and _XOPEN_SOURCE_EXTENDED, or use "#define _XOPEN_SOURCE n" for some integer n larger than or equal to 500. SEE ALSO
getuid(2), setsid(2), tcsetpgrp(3), termios(3) Linux 1999-09-02 SETPGID(2)