Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: alternate lines
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting alternate lines Post 302176685 by summer_cherry on Tuesday 18th of March 2008 11:14:40 PM
Old 03-19-2008
Code:
sed -n 'p;n' filename -- print the odd line
sed -n 'n;p' filename -- print the even line

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

alternate lines from two files

A basic request two files want to combine them but on alternate lines (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SummitElse
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Alternate to pinging boxes

Hello, We have boxes on a WAN network I guess you would call it, pretty much they are hooked up via DSL in different locations in the US and we connect to them via SSH for a secure connection. Some of the boxes won't return a ping request like they are down, I am guessing is because the router... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: benefactr
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alternate way for echo.

Hi, Is there any other command echo does. if I am doing this operation for each line in my file. So its taking very long time to process more than 1000 records. Is there any alternative way to write the above if statement (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: senthil_is
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading alternate lines of a file

hi, i have 2 files. file1: 1 2 3 4 5 6 file2: a b c d e f g h i (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vidyaj
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert string in alternate lines

Hi All, In continuation of my previous thread 'Add text at the end of line conditionally', I need to further modfiy the file after adding text at the end of the line. Now, I need to add a fixed charater string at alternate lines starting from first line using awk or sed.My file is now as below:... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: angshuman
10 Replies

6. HP-UX

Alternate for wget

Hi, Whats the alternate for wget in HP-UX ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
4 Replies

7. Programming

Perl : joining alternate lines

Hi, I need to join every alternate line in a file for eg:input file $ cat abc abc def ghi jkloutput abc def ghi jklcode i wrote for this $ cat add_line.pl #!/usr/bin/perl -w my $count=1; #my $line=undef; my @mem_line; my $i=0; my $x=0; (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam05121988
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep values on alternate lines

Hi, I have a file like 2011|ACC|.* 2013|ACC|.* 2011|ACCC|.* 2013|ACCC|.* 2013|ACCV|.* 2011|ADB|.* 2013|ADB|.* 2011|ADBC|.* 2013|ADBC|.* 2011|AIA|.* 2013|AXJ|.* 2013|NNN|.* .* represnts any alphanumeric characters after this part of the string I need a code to return only the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam05121988
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Process alternate lines in awk/sed/perl

hi.. i have a fasta file with the following format >sequence1 CCGGTTTTCGATTTGGTTTGACT >sequence2 AAAGTGCCGCCAGGTTTTGAGTGT >sequence3 AGTGCCGCAGAGTTTGTAGTGT Now, i want to read alternate line and add "GGGGGGGGGGG" to end of every sequence Desired output: >sequence1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: empyrean
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing alternate lines of code

Hi gents, Have only a passing familiarity with linux/shell at this point, so please forgive simple question. I have text files that have lines something like the following: a b c d d d e f e f e f a b (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cabled
6 Replies
fmt(1)								   User Commands							    fmt(1)

NAME
fmt - simple text formatters SYNOPSIS
fmt [-cs] [-w width | -width] [inputfile...] DESCRIPTION
fmt is a simple text formatter that fills and joins lines to produce output lines of (up to) the number of characters specified in the -w width option. The default width is 72. fmt concatenates the inputfiles listed as arguments. If none are given, fmt formats text from the standard input. Blank lines are preserved in the output, as is the spacing between words. fmt does not fill nor split lines beginning with a `.' (dot), for compatibility with nroff(1). Nor does it fill or split a set of contiguous non-blank lines which is determined to be a mail header, the first line of which must begin with "From". Indentation is preserved in the output, and input lines with differing indentation are not joined (unless -c is used). fmt can also be used as an in-line text filter for vi(1). The vi command: !}fmt reformats the text between the cursor location and the end of the paragraph. OPTIONS
-c Crown margin mode. Preserve the indentation of the first two lines within a paragraph, and align the left margin of each subsequent line with that of the second line. This is useful for tagged paragraphs. -s Split lines only. Do not join short lines to form longer ones. This prevents sample lines of code, and other such formatted text, from being unduly combined. -w width | -width Fill output lines to up to width columns. OPERANDS
inputfile Input file. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for a description of the LC_CTYPE environment variable that affects the execution of fmt. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
nroff(1), vi(1), attributes(5), environ(5) NOTES
The -width option is acceptable for BSD compatibility, but it may go away in future releases. SunOS 5.10 9 May 1997 fmt(1)