Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl script to scan back lines Post 302176531 by gholdbhurg on Tuesday 18th of March 2008 12:33:58 PM
Old 03-18-2008
Hi era/jim,
Thanks for the quick response.

>>>
Hi era,
My responses below:
1. Can transactions be intermingled in the log file, or will all details of a transaction be on adjacent lines, and all adjacent lines belong to the same transaction, or mark the boundary to the next transaction?
ANS:
Yes, all details of a transaction will be on adjacent lines, and all adjacent lines belong to the same user/transaction.

2. Does a transaction always start with the "give" and "take" stuff? Does a transaction always end with the "Waiting for new txns" line?
ANS:
Yes that will always be the start line of all txns, but the end lines may vary.
For successful ones, there wont be any "This is not a valid dealing" line in between.
>>>

Btw if possible, i would prefer this in perl Smilie

Hope to hear from the other gurus.
Appreciate it very much.

Last edited by gholdbhurg; 03-18-2008 at 01:41 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to scan only new lines added in file?

Hi, I am planning to implement a scheduled script that will go against my log files (every hour), search for a set of key words (errors, exceptions, faults etc). The script must be intelligent enough to scan only the new lines added to the log file since it last ran. I can use grep for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: redlotus72
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script to scan through files

Dear perl gurus, I plan to create a script that will scan through a logfile line by line. And if ever a certain line meets the below conditions, it will alert me via email. --> a) Position 10 to 13 = "ABCD" b) And also if the amount specified in position 620-640 is less than the amount in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gholdbhurg
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Perl/shell script count the lines

Hi Guys, I want to write a perl/shell script do parse the following file input file content NPA-NXX SC 2084549 45 2084552 45 2084563 2007 2084572 45 2084580 45 3278411 45 3278430 45 3278493 530 3278507 530... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pistachio
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Help] PERL Script - grep multiple lines

Hi Gurus, I need some help with the "grep" command or whatever command that you think suitable for me. I'm about to write a perl script to extract a report from the system and submit it to the end users. The input for the script will consist of 3 element. 1) Generation ID 2) Month 3) Year... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: miskin
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script that counts lines of a file

I am working on this script, but hit a bump. Looking for a little help figuring out the last part: open(MY_FILE, $ARGV) or die $COUNTER = 1; $LINE = <FILE>; while ($LINE, <FILE>) { # Adds leading zeros for numbers 1 digit long if ($COUNTER<10){ print "000"; } # Adds... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Breakology
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - need script for modify lines

Hello, does somebody can make script for me, which replace: ąćę ąćę ąćę (input file) to ace;|;ąćę ace;|;ąćę ace;|;ąćę (output file) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xadrian
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl script print the lines between two pattern

i have a file as below sample.pl parameter1 argument1 argument2 parameter2 I want out as below argument1 argument2 that is , i want to print all the lines between parameter1 & parameter 2. i tried with the following if($mystring =~ m/parameter1(.*?)parameter2/) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: roopa
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scan a file in realtime and execute certain commands on encountering 5 consecutive identical lines

Mysql log has something like below: I need a bash shell script that will do the following: 1) The script will scan the mysql.log file constantly in real time (something like tail -F mysql.log) 2) If it encounters 5 consecutive identical lines then it would invoke some commands (say... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scan for anchor tags in Perl?

Hello all, I have some .html files on my hard drive and trying to figure out (if it's possible) how to scan the files in the directory for <a> anchor tags to find linked files. I know how to bring the files in with Perl, but as text. Wondering if there's a way to probe the file for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sldsand
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script: matching multiple lines error

Dear Perl users, Could somebody help me how to fix my code so I can get my desired output. Here is the data: Pattern Gabriel halo1 halo2 end Pattern Andreas halo1 halo2 endI want to grep multiple lines between the pattern /Pattern Gabriel / and /end/. Then I will store the output into... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: askari
6 Replies
SPEEDY_BACKEND(1p)														SPEEDY_BACKEND(1p)

NAME
speedy_backend - the backend process for a persistent Perl interpreter SYNOPSIS
none ; this program is not meant to be called directly. DESCRIPTION
speedy, short for SpeedyCGI, is a way to run perl scripts persistently, which can make them run much more quickly. After the script is initially run, instead of exiting, the perl interpreter is kept running inside a backend process, speedy_backend. Dur- ing subsequent runs, this interpreter is used to handle new executions instead of starting a new perl interpreter each time. A very fast frontend program, speedy, written in C, is executed for each request. This fast frontend then contacts the persistent Perl process, which is usually already running, to do the work and return the results. Each perl script runs in its own Unix process, so one perl script can't interfere with another. Command line options can also be used to deal with programs that have memory leaks or other problems that might keep them from otherwise running persistently. The speedy front end connects to the back end process, speedy_backend, via a Unix socket in /tmp. A queue is kept in a shared file in /tmp that holds an entry for each process. In that queue are the pids of the perl processes waiting for connections. The frontend pulls a process out of this queue, connects to its socket, sends over the environment and argv, and then uses this socket for stdin/stdout to the perl process. FILES
/tmp/speedy* A unix socket used to connect to the frontend process. AUTHOR
Sam Horrocks http://daemoninc.com sam@daemoninc.com NOTES
This manual page was created by Niko Tyni <ntyni@iki.fi> for Debian GNU/Linux, because the original program does not have one. It is based on the original and more complete CGI::SpeedyCGI(3pm) manual page. SEE ALSO
perl(1), CGI::SpeedyCGI(3pm), speedy(1) SPEEDY_BACKEND(1p)