Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris How can I find the number of connections from a specific IP address historically? Post 302176474 by pupp on Tuesday 18th of March 2008 10:38:19 AM
Old 03-18-2008
solaris doesn't log connections by default. you can enable it though.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert ip address to ip number

I want to make a script to read a list of ip addresses from a file then convert those ip addresses to ip number. ip number is made by removing the dots then transfer to a number , so the ip number transfered to binary then to decimal which will represents the ip number 0 : 4294967295 Also I... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: moutaz1983
17 Replies

2. AIX

Show number of SSH connections

I'm investigating an issue where rsync's to an AIX server will sometimes fail. I suspect the problem might be due to the number of simultaneous SSH connections being made to the host dropping the rsync attempts. I'd like to view the number of open ssh connections. The who command will list logged... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: indiana_tas
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

using sed to replace a specific string on a specific line number using variables

using sed to replace a specific string on a specific line number using variables this is where i am at grep -v WARNING output | grep -v spawn | grep -v Passphrase | grep -v Authentication | grep -v '/sbin/tfadmin netguard -C'| grep -v 'NETWORK>' >> output.clean grep -n Destination... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: todd.cutting
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace a string a specific value in specific location in AIX

Hi, I have following samp.txt file in unix. samp.txt 01Roy2D3M000000 02Rad2D3M222222 . . . . 10Mik0A2M343443 Desired Output 01Roy2A3M000000 02Rad2A3M222222 . . (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: techmoris
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change specific ip address in a file

I need to change a line from a xen cfg file using sed if it's possible. The original line is: vif = I want to change ONLY the IP address of the second part ==> ip=10.1.10.4 to another IP --> ip=192.222.11.6 The first one ip=123.456.789.123 keeps untouchable. My new line shoud... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: iga3725
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Routing or Iptables connections by hostname or ip address

edit; I found a solution that works, see thread #3 https://www.unix.com/302417065-post3.html Hi there, I have a small dedicated server that has four ip addresses and by default my httpd sends request using the servers main ip for all outbound connections. I'm quite amateur at routing and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mooofa
4 Replies

7. Web Development

How to find number of http connections active currently in apache web server

Hi I have a solaris 9 OS with apache web server running on top of it. i want to know how many http connections are active at any point in time. (In other words how many users are accessing my website it at any moment of time) How to get it..? hit counters are not required... ----------... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aemunathan
0 Replies

8. IP Networking

How to test max number of tcp connections

Hello, I wanna test max tcp connection value. Please suggest how to do that. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gstoychev
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can't figure out how to find specific characters in specific columns

I am trying to find a specific set of characters in a long file. I only want to find the characters in column 265 for 4 bytes. Is there a search for that? I tried cut but couldn't get it to work. Ex. I want to find '9999' in column 265 for 4 bytes. If it is in there, I want it to print... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Drenhead
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh script to test max number of parallel ssh connections

hello , I need to check how many parallel ssh connections my server can take the load of. I need to login to different host which i am planning to read from a file and then a write a loop which will do parallel ssh. Please provide suggestion on how i can write script for the same.\ Thank... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ABHIKORIA
1 Replies
socket(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							 socket(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
socket - Open a TCP network connection SYNOPSIS
socket ?options? host port socket -server command ?options? port _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command opens a network socket and returns a channel identifier that may be used in future invocations of commands like read, puts and flush. At present only the TCP network protocol is supported; future releases may include support for additional protocols. The socket command may be used to open either the client or server side of a connection, depending on whether the -server switch is specified. Note that the default encoding for all sockets is the system encoding, as returned by encoding system. Most of the time, you will need to use fconfigure to alter this to something else, such as utf-8 (ideal for communicating with other Tcl processes) or iso8859-1 (useful for many network protocols, especially the older ones). CLIENT SOCKETS
If the -server option is not specified, then the client side of a connection is opened and the command returns a channel identifier that can be used for both reading and writing. Port and host specify a port to connect to; there must be a server accepting connections on this port. Port is an integer port number (or service name, where supported and understood by the host operating system) and host is either a domain-style name such as www.sunlabs.com or a numerical IP address such as 127.0.0.1. Use localhost to refer to the host on which the command is invoked. The following options may also be present before host to specify additional information about the connection: -myaddr addr Addr gives the domain-style name or numerical IP address of the client-side network interface to use for the connection. This option may be useful if the client machine has multiple network interfaces. If the option is omitted then the client-side interface will be chosen by the system software. -myport port Port specifies an integer port number (or service name, where supported and understood by the host operating system) to use for the client's side of the connection. If this option is omitted, the client's port number will be chosen at random by the system soft- ware. -async The -async option will cause the client socket to be connected asynchronously. This means that the socket will be created immedi- ately but may not yet be connected to the server, when the call to socket returns. When a gets or flush is done on the socket before the connection attempt succeeds or fails, if the socket is in blocking mode, the operation will wait until the connection is com- pleted or fails. If the socket is in nonblocking mode and a gets or flush is done on the socket before the connection attempt suc- ceeds or fails, the operation returns immediately and fblocked on the socket returns 1. SERVER SOCKETS
If the -server option is specified then the new socket will be a server for the port given by port (either an integer or a service name, where supported and understood by the host operating system). Tcl will automatically accept connections to the given port. For each con- nection Tcl will create a new channel that may be used to communicate with the client. Tcl then invokes command with three additional arguments: the name of the new channel, the address, in network address notation, of the client's host, and the client's port number. The following additional option may also be specified before host: -myaddr addr Addr gives the domain-style name or numerical IP address of the server-side network interface to use for the connection. This option may be useful if the server machine has multiple network interfaces. If the option is omitted then the server socket is bound to the special address INADDR_ANY so that it can accept connections from any interface. Server channels cannot be used for input or output; their sole use is to accept new client connections. The channels created for each incoming client connection are opened for input and output. Closing the server channel shuts down the server so that no new connections will be accepted; however, existing connections will be unaffected. Server sockets depend on the Tcl event mechanism to find out when new connections are opened. If the application doesn't enter the event loop, for example by invoking the vwait command or calling the C procedure Tcl_DoOneEvent, then no connections will be accepted. If port is specified as zero, the operating system will allocate an unused port for use as a server socket. The port number actually allo- cated my be retrieved from the created server socket using the fconfigure command to retrieve the -sockname option as described below. CONFIGURATION OPTIONS
The fconfigure command can be used to query several readonly configuration options for socket channels: -error This option gets the current error status of the given socket. This is useful when you need to determine if an asynchronous connect operation succeeded. If there was an error, the error message is returned. If there was no error, an empty string is returned. -sockname This option returns a list of three elements, the address, the host name and the port number for the socket. If the host name cannot be computed, the second element is identical to the address, the first element of the list. -peername This option is not supported by server sockets. For client and accepted sockets, this option returns a list of three elements; these are the address, the host name and the port to which the peer socket is connected or bound. If the host name cannot be computed, the second element of the list is identical to the address, its first element. SEE ALSO
fconfigure(n), flush(n), open(n), read(n) KEYWORDS
bind, channel, connection, domain name, host, network address, socket, tcp Tcl 8.0 socket(n)