Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Parameters in loop
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Parameters in loop Post 302176465 by joeyg on Tuesday 18th of March 2008 10:11:43 AM
Old 03-18-2008
Hammer & Screwdriver An attempt at some code

I do not think you need the TableCount variable, and perhaps a few other things inside your original code. Hopefully, this will put you on your way...

Code:
> cat script.sh
#! /bin/bash

NumberOfTables="$#"
let TableCount=1

while [ ${NumberOfTables} -gt 0 ]
do

TableName='$'$TableCount

# db2 "runstats on table ${TableName} and indexes all"
# echo ${TableName}
 echo $1
 shift 

let  TableCount=TableCount+1
 let  NumberOfTables=NumberOfTables-1

done
exit 0

Quote:
> script.sh table1 table2 table3
table1
table2
table3

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

For Loop with Strings as parameters

I'm trying to create a script with a for loop that take strings in as the parameters. Some of the strings have spaces in them, and I can't get it to work properly. For example: #!/bin/ksh INFILE=snapshot.log OUTFILE=summary.out a="Lock waits" b="Deadlocks detected" for PARAM in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kadishmj
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

for loop logic with multiple parameters

hi, unix wizards, i have a question about the logic of my inner for loop below. first, what i am trying to do is to write a script called create_account that automatically creates mysql accounts. the user can provide a user_name or a group_id as an argument (and the script can take multiple... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ankimo
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash if loop for checking multiple parameters

Hello, I've got next problem: I want to examine at the beginning of a script in an if loop that: 1. Is there 4 parameters given 2. If first state is true then: is there switches -e and -d? 3. At the end, how can i indentify them as variebles regardlees to its order. I was thinking like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: szittyafergeteg
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using variables created sequentially in a loop while still inside of the loop [bash]

I'm trying to understand if it's possible to create a set of variables that are numbered based on another variable (using eval) in a loop, and then call on it before the loop ends. As an example I've written a script called question (The fist command is to show what is the contents of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Shell Script to loop over Directory and send Filesname as parameters

Hi there I'm new to UNIX scripting; I’m stuck with the following I have an Oracle SQL script that takes three parameters 1- File Name 2- File Path 3- File creation date Under UNIX I have a folder where files will be placed frequently and I need to upload those files to Oracle, what I need... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: windjashi
3 Replies

6. AIX

tuning network parameters : parameters not persist after reboot

Hello, On Aix 5.2, we changed the parameters tcp_keepinit, tcp_keepintvl and tcp_keepidle with the no command. tunrestore -R is present in inittab in the directory /etc/tunables we can clearly see the inclusion of parameters during reboot, including the file lastboot.log ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dantares
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trouble displaying parameters passed into a for loop

#!/bin/bash function check_num_args() { if ; then echo "Please provide a file name" else treat_as_file $* fi } function treat_as_file() { numFiles=$# for((i=1;i<=$numFiles;i++));do echo $i ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kikilahooch
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop to read parameters and stop

Hey guys, How do I make a loop that reads all the parameters en then stop when there are no parameters anymore ? Something that gives an output like this: ./Script.sh parameter1 parameter2 parameter3 parameter = parameter1 parameter = parameter2 parameter = parameter3 Thanks a lot,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Miki1579
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk loop using array:wish to store array values from loop for use outside loop

Here's my code: awk -F '' 'NR==FNR { if (/time/ && $5>10) A=$2" "$3":"$4":"($5-01) else if (/time/ && $5<01) A=$2" "$3":"$4-01":"(59-$5) else if (/time/ && $5<=10) A=$2" "$3":"$4":0"($5-01) else if (/close/) { B=0 n1=n2; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: klane
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use positional parameters in loop / while syntax in whiptail

I like to “optimize” / make more like a real program my bash script by replacing repetitious code which utilizes positional parameters. I am having two issues I cannot solve and would appreciate some assistance with resolving them. a) how to modify the whiptail checklist... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: annacreek
3 Replies
break(1)							   User Commands							  break(1)

NAME
break, continue - shell built-in functions to escape from or advance within a controlling while, for, foreach, or until loop SYNOPSIS
sh break [n] continue [n] csh break continue ksh *break [n] *continue [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The break utility exits from the enclosing for or while loop, if any. If n is specified, break n levels. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosing for or while loop. If n is specified, resume at the n-th enclosing loop. csh The break utility resumes execution after the end of the nearest enclosing foreach or while loop. The remaining commands on the current line are executed. This allows multilevel breaks to be written as a list of break commands, all on one line. The continue utility continues execution of the next iteration of the nearest enclosing while or foreach loop. ksh The break utility exits from the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop, if any. If n is specified, then break n levels. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be exited. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop. If n is specified then resume at the n- th enclosed loop. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be used. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words that follow a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign, and also that word splitting and file name genera- tion are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), exit(1), ksh(1), sh( 1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 break(1)