Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find the age of a file in Minutes Post 302176346 by Perderabo on Tuesday 18th of March 2008 06:22:47 AM
Old 03-18-2008
Here is how I would do in ksh:
perl -e 'printf "%d\n" ,(time()-((stat(shift))[9]))/60;' file1.txt

Sorry, but sometimes ksh falls short and you need perl for an assist.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find the File Age and wait for that...

Hi, I want to know my file is 1 hr 30 min old or not, If 1 hr 30 min old I will do some tasks in that file.. other wise I will wait to 1 hr 30 min and then do the tasks.. how to do it in Unix script? any idea? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: redlotus72
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find a process age

I can write a script to use ps and interigate the output, but is there a command that works similar to the find command for files where I can request a list of all the running processes over 1 day old ? thanks! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: MizzGail
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Find accessed file in past 1 or 2 minutes, and throw mail.

Can Anyone tell me how to write the Script to "find file(s) in a directory that is being accessed in last 5 minutes, and if there is result of that find, then throw the mail ". Means throw the mail to a person regarding whoever and whenever a file is accessed in a directory. ASAP. Thnks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: varungupta
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find files which are <n> minutes old

Hi, i want to find certain files which are more than <n> minutes old,i have the command to find the files say <n> days old(as below) but not in terms of minutes. find . -name "14*.000" -type f -mtime +1 Is there any way to find this? Regards, Cherry (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cherryven75
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find age of files...

I am trying to figure out how to look at only the following directory... /lcl/prd/data/dc003p/dump And search it for any files that have a .arc extension and are older then 24 hours. I have never done anything like this and have no idea where to start. I want to make sure it does not... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: LRoberts
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Find file age

Hi I can not say that i am new to perl but today i learned something new, i wanted to know age (last time file got modified) of file so i initially thought of using find -mtime command but when i googled it, i found perl solution for the same my $age = -M $ARGV ; print "$ARGV age is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zedex
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Find file that are accessed less than 10 minutes in a directory

Hi All,, I need to find the latest files that are accessed less than 10mins in a particular directory & send those files in an attachment. I could use the below simple one. But if the directory was not updated any recently i could mail the old file again, i need to eliminate that.. What shld... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jeevitha
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep a log file for the last 5 minutes of contents every 5 minutes

Hi all, System Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS i have the following log INFO 2019-02-07 15:13:31,099 module.py:700] default: "POST /join/8550614e-3e94-4fa5-9ab2-135eefa69c1b HTTP/1.0" 500 2042 INFO 2019-02-07 15:13:31,569 module.py:700] default: "POST /join/6cb9c452-dcb1-45f3-bcca-e33f5d450105... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: charli1
15 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check file creation Time minutes and if file older then 5 minutes execute some stuff

Hello all, Info: System RedHat 7.5 I need to create a script that based on the creation time, if the file is older then 5 minutes then execute some stuff, if not exit. I thought to get the creation time and minutes like this. CreationTime=$(stat -c %y /tmp/test.log | awk -F" " '{ print... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: charli1
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Find if create time of last created file in a directory is older than 5 minutes

A process xyz is running and creating file1, file2, file3, .... filen. how do i know if the process has stopped and createtime of the last file (filen) is older than 5 minutes? OS is AIX (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: malaika
3 Replies
shift(1)							   User Commands							  shift(1)

NAME
shift - shell built-in function to traverse either a shell's argument list or a list of field-separated words SYNOPSIS
sh shift [n] csh shift [variable] ksh * shift [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The positional parameters from $n+1 ... are renamed $1 ... . If n is not given, it is assumed to be 1. csh The components of argv, or variable, if supplied, are shifted to the left, discarding the first component. It is an error for the variable not to be set or to have a null value. ksh The positional parameters from $n+1 $n+1 ... are renamed $1 ..., default n is 1. The parameter n can be any arithmetic expression that evaluates to a non-negative number less than or equal to $#. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 shift(1)