Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help required using cut command Post 302176345 by Shivdatta on Tuesday 18th of March 2008 06:14:27 AM
Old 03-18-2008
$ dirname "/home/psv/file/test"
/home/psv/file

$ basename "/home/psv/file/test"
test

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

help required with cut -d

i have a file in which data is like this 12 34 56 78 78 56 34 12 now i want to cut 2nd last column.... if 2nd column from start is to be cut then i can write cut -d" " -f2 filename what to do if 2nd column from end is to be cut ! any help thanks Sidhu (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amardeep
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Required regarding wc command

Hi guys, I want to find the number of records in a particular file and store that value in any other variable. I am trying this below command but it is not working and giving me an error "Uninary Operator Expected". say I have taken a variable name 'count' in which I have to store the no. of... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dtidke
7 Replies

3. Cybersecurity

Help Required: Command to find IP address and command executed of a user

Hi, I am trying to write a script which would figure out who has run which command and their IP. As i dont have any clue as to which commands would do this job, i request some gurus to help me on this. Thanks Vishwas (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: loggedout
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help required on scripting the rm -f command

When i execute rm -f $1 via a script file named rmf, it is not deleting all the files, say starting with "sec". i have execute rmf for many times to remove all the occurrences... $rmf sec* - this should delete all files starting with sec, but not. The rm -f sec* is working fine. kindly help... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: frozensmilz
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut Command error cut: Bad range

Hi Can anyone what I am doing wrong while using cut command. for f in *.log do logfilename=$f Log "Log file Name: $logfilename" logfile1=`basename $logfilename .log` flength=${#logfile1} Log "file length $flength" from_length=$(($flength - 15)) Log "from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgmm
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help required the cut the whole contents from one file and paste it into new file

Hi, First of all sincere apologies if I have posted in a wrong section ! Please correct me if I am wrong ! I am very new to UNIX scripting. Currently my problem is that I have a code file at the location /home/usr/workarea/GeneratedLogs.log :- Code :- (Feb 7, 571 7:07:29 AM),... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: acidburn_007
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to cut a some required data from file

Data_Consolidation_Engine_Part_2_Job2..TgtArBkt: ORA-00942: table or view does not exist I have some thing like above in the file.. Upto this portion Data_Consolidation_Engine_Part_2_Job2..TgtArBkt: the length can be vary .. Can some one help me in taking this portion alone ORA-00942:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: saj
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cut pid from ps using cut command

hay i am trying to get JUST the PID from the ps command. my command line is: ps -ef | grep "mintty" | cut -d' ' -f2 but i get an empty line. i assume that the delimiter is not just one space character, but can't figure out what should i do in order to do that. i know i can use awk or cut... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ran ber
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Required Command in awk command

Hi Firends, I wanted to extract the first record of the file which starst with character say "X". And I tried an awk command which works when i try to execute it individually: awk 'substr($1,1,1)=="X"' inputfile.txt But when I use the same command in my script for which I am passing the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ajay Venkatesan
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Cut command: can't make it cut fields

I'm a complete beginner in UNIX (and not a computer science student either), just undergoing a tutoring course. Trying to replicate the instructions on my own I directed output of the ls listing command (lists all files of my home directory ) to My_dir.tsv file (see the screenshot) to make use of... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: scrutinizerix
9 Replies
times(1)                                                           User Commands                                                          times(1)

NAME
times - shell built-in function to report time usages of the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh times ksh times DESCRIPTION
sh Print the accumulated user and system times for processes run from the shell. ksh Print the accumulated user and system times for the shell and for processes run from the shell. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ksh(1), sh(1), time(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 times(1)