Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with exec command and file descriptors II Post 302176299 by masaki on Tuesday 18th of March 2008 03:21:19 AM
Old 03-18-2008
Help with exec command and file descriptors II

Need to close files which descriptor number are larger than 9 in ksh.
'exec 10>&-' fails with 'ksh: 10: not found'. How do you specify file descriptors which occupies two or more digits in ksh script?
Thanks,
Masaki

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

File Descriptors

Hi, I have written a daemon process, to perform certain operations in the background. For this I have to close, the open file descriptors, Does anybody know how to find out the number of open file descriptors ? Thanks in Advance, Sheetal (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: s_chordia
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

File Descriptors

Hello all, A few questions on file descriptors ... scenario : Sun Ultra 30 with Sun OS 5.5.1 , E250 with Solaris 2.6 In one of my servers, the file descriptor status from the soft limit and hard limits are 64 and 1024 respectively for root user. Is the soft limit (64) represents the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shibz
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file descriptors

i m trying to learn processes in unix and i've been reading this but i don't quite get it. its regarding file descriptors. : each is a part of file pointers, they point to another area. indexes into an Operating system maintained table called "file descriptor table". one table per process. may... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: a25khan
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

exec command and field descriptors..

according to the many sources the exec command other than its use in find and escaping the shell, has another definitive use.. which I am having a hard time understanding. according to many resources and info pages that I have read I can use the exec command with a file descriptor.. such as exec... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

File Descriptors + cron

Hi All, This thread is going to be a discussion basically bringing out more information from the experts on cron jobs and the associated file handles. So, here is the question. There is definitely a constant ' n ' as the maximum number of file handles alloted to a process ' p '. Will... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with exec command and file descriptors??

im having trouble with the comprehending the exec command and the use of file descriptors. given: #!/bin/sh exec 4>&1 exec 1>&2 exec 2>&4 exec 4>&- echo Hello would the standard output of this script be sent to STDOUT, STDERR or neither and why??? thanks for the help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rfourn
1 Replies

7. HP-UX

exec and file descriptors

Hi, I speak and write english more or less, so I hope my asking be clear. :) In the company I am working, they are using control-m software to lunch shell scripts. So i put this command in all shell scripts: export LOGFILE_tmp=$PRODUC_DATA/tmp/${SCRIPT}_${PAIS}_`date... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: anamcara
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending to a file using exec command

Hi, I need the data to be appended to the file using exec command in linux. I am able to add the data to a file using exec command but the file is getting overwritten. Above exec command is used to overwite in a file. When I use "exec >>& fileName", getting "syntax error near... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anjan1
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use 3 descriptors with ssh command

Hi, I want to execute some commands via ssh. errupdate <enter> =5A7598C3: <enter> Report=False <enter> Log=False <enter> <CTRL + D> <CTRL + D> how can i do this ? I suppose i have to use file descriptor but i don't know how ? Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: khalidou13
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

What does the following exec command do it is in the shell file?

I have a shell script, research_dump_sub.sh the first 3 lines are below. the below two lines writing to log file, i am not finding the log file, how to locate, and what is the exec command doing exactly please. and the third line again calling/triggering the shell file. i didn't understood. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cplusplus1
2 Replies
exec(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           exec(1)

NAME
exec, eval, source - shell built-in functions to execute other commands SYNOPSIS
sh exec [argument...] eval [argument...] csh exec command eval argument... source [-h] name ksh *exec [arg...] *eval [arg...] DESCRIPTION
sh The exec command specified by the arguments is executed in place of this shell without creating a new process. Input/output arguments may appear and, if no other arguments are given, cause the shell input/output to be modified. The arguments to the eval built-in are read as input to the shell and the resulting command(s) executed. csh exec executes command in place of the current shell, which terminates. eval reads its arguments as input to the shell and executes the resulting command(s). This is usually used to execute commands generated as the result of command or variable substitution. source reads commands from name. source commands may be nested, but if they are nested too deeply the shell may run out of file descrip- tors. An error in a sourced file at any level terminates all nested source commands. -h Place commands from the file name on the history list without executing them. ksh With the exec built-in, if arg is given, the command specified by the arguments is executed in place of this shell without creating a new process. Input/output arguments may appear and affect the current process. If no arguments are given the effect of this command is to mod- ify file descriptors as prescribed by the input/output redirection list. In this case, any file descriptor numbers greater than 2 that are opened with this mechanism are closed when invoking another program. The arguments to eval are read as input to the shell and the resulting command(s) executed. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. EXIT STATUS
For ksh: If command is not found, the exit status is 127. If command is found, but is not an executable utility, the exit status is 126. If a redi- rection error occurs, the shell exits with a value in the range 1-125. Otherwise, exec returns a zero exit status. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 exec(1)