Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Is there a limit to the no. of arguments to a shell script ? Post 302176136 by drl on Monday 17th of March 2008 12:19:14 PM
Old 03-17-2008
Hi.

Some shells allow access to script parameters using syntax as follows:
Code:
#!/bin/bash -

# @(#) s1       Demonstrate shell script parameter use.

echo "(Versions displayed with local utility \"version\")"
version >/dev/null 2>&1 && version =o $(_eat $0 $1)

echo
echo " Parameters beyond 9 explicit:"
echo " Parameter 10 is ${10}"
echo " Parameter 11 is ${11}"

echo
echo " Parameters with delayed evaluation using \"eval\":"
for ((j=1;j<=$#;j++))
do
  eval echo " Parameter $j is \${$j}"
done

exit 0

Producing:
Code:
% ./s1 a b c d e f g h i j k
(Versions displayed with local utility "version")
Linux 2.6.11-x1
GNU bash 2.05b.0

Parameters beyond 9 explicit:
 Parameter 10 is j
 Parameter 11 is k

Parameters with delayed evaluation using "eval":
Parameter 1 is a
Parameter 2 is b
Parameter 3 is c
Parameter 4 is d
Parameter 5 is e
Parameter 6 is f
Parameter 7 is g
Parameter 8 is h
Parameter 9 is i
Parameter 10 is j
Parameter 11 is k

However, I think shift is usually the most useful construct ... cheers, drl

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script with arguments

Hi All, I need some help/ideas in coming up with a shell script. Basically, the script should install 1 or 2 or 3 packages based on the input arguments. For example, if I type in pkgscript.sh a1 a2 a3, it should install all the 3 scripts and pkgscript.sh a1 should install only a1. If a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sankar6254
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to pass arguments to shell script

Hi, I have a shell script called ftp.sh which is running continously in background. I tried passing arguments to this script but it did not worked out. Below is ftp.sh script. Please help me case $param in start) sleep_func "300" echo "!ksh $scr_ddir/ftp.sh... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bhargav20
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

no of arguments to function in shell script

Hi, I have a function in shell script fun1{ echo "No.of arguments are..."} this function will be called in same script by passing arguments fun 1 2 3 I want to check the no. of arguments passed to fun1 function in the same functionbefore validation. can any one suggest me. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: KiranKumarKarre
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Limit ouput file on a shell script

I have this one::) doing jstack on JVM proccess. #!/bin/ksh # ---------------------------------------------------- # capture_jstack.sh <INTERVAL> <COUNT> # run jstack and capture output to a log file #----------------------------------------------------- # # scripts and logs are stored... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pointer
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script command line arguments

Hello All, i am known to the limitation of different shells while passing more than 9 command line arguments i just tried the example below i do see my current shell is tcsh echo $SHELL /bin/tcsh so if i make my script executable and run it output is ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deepak Dutt
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

csh shell script 'set' argument limit?

Hi , I have a script that is causing a problem that led me to think if there is a limit to the number of arguments for 'set' command in csh shell script. Here is my script: #!/bin/csh -f set top = design_top #1 set v_mbist = ( sim_mbist/*.v ) #2 set v_simlist = ( -v... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: return_user
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove a file in shell script if its size exceeds limit?

How can i remove a file using shell script when its size exceeds 10MB. Given that file is located in different location to the shell script where it is running? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using arguments in Shell script

Hello, I have to make a shell script doing that : the program tests if there is an argument, if there is it checks whether this is a directory or not, If it is it opens it. for any .c file in the directory it prints 2 lines in the screen : the dependence line of the .o and compiler commend... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dekl
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sub arguments to shell script

Hi, I have a shell script, when run it i get a prompt to enter arguments say 1 for doing my next task otherwise q for quit. What I am trying to do is run the shell script with the argument passed in however it does not seem to work. This is what I did ./test.sh 1 Instead it printed the line... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aqua9
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

To run a local shell script in a remote machine by passing arguments to the local shell script

I need to run a local shell script on a remote machine. I am able to achieve that by executing the command > ssh -qtt user@host < test.sh However, when I try to pass arguments to test.sh it fails. Any pointers would be appreciated. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sree10
7 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)