Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script needed to select and delete lower case and mixed case records Post 302176037 by BhawanaAggarwal on Monday 17th of March 2008 08:00:00 AM
Old 03-17-2008
Hi Abhilash,

you should use the following query in ur script to delete the records other than upper case

select * from employee where city not in ucase(city)
delete from employee where city not in ucase(city)

***************script wiill be like this************

$SQLPLUS username/password@schemaname @query.sh>temp.log

where query.sh contains the following query

delete from employee where city not in ucase(city)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

lower case to upper case string conversion in shell script

How can convert a Lower case variable value to an upper case in the kron shell script. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dchalavadi
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to convert value in a variable from upper case to lower case

Hi, I have a variable $Ctrcd which contains country names in upper case and i want to convert them into lower case. I have tried so many solutions from already existing threads but couldn't get the correct one. Can anybody help me with this..... Thanks a lot.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manmeet
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert upper case to lower case in ascript

I have a package to install and the installation script which does it . The files/directories names in the script are all lower case but the actual package has everything in upper case - file names, directories . I don't want to rename directories and files in the package - it has a lot of them . ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vz6zz8
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Convert Upper case to Lower case

Hi All I have a script which extracts values from a Database (A persons name) and puts it into a variable in my script IE: $NAME However the Value in the DB is all in uppercase and contains the users first name and last name EG: > echo $NAME GRAHAM BOYLE > What I need is only the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: grahambo2005
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

data array needs to change upper case to lower case

Hi all, i have a data array as followes. ARRAY=DFSG345GGG ARRAY=234FDFG090 ARRAY=VDFVGBGHH so on.......... i need all english letters to be change to lower case. So i am expecting to see ARRAY=dfsg345ggg ARRAY=234fdfg090 ARRAY=vdfvgbghh so on........ If i have to copy this data in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: usustarr
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Change Upper case to Lower case in C shell

Is there a command that can switch a character variable from UPPER case to lower case? like foreach AC ( ABC BCD PLL QIO) set ac `COMMAND($AC)` ... end Thanks a lot! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockytodd
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conversion from Upper Case to Lower Case Condition based

Hello Unix Gurus : It would be really appreciative if can find a solution for this . I have records in a file . I need to Capitalize the records based on condition . For Example i tried the following Command COMMAND --> fgrep "2000YUYU" /export/home/oracle/TST/data.dat | tr '' ''... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: tsbiju
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

converting to lower case or upper case

here is a code column_name="vivek" column_name2="ViVeK" column_name=$(echo $column_name | awk '{print tolower($0)}') column_name2=$(echo $column_name2 | awk '{print tolower($0)}') echo "column name 1 lower: $column_name" echo "column name... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To convert Lower case to Upper Case

There is a script where we pass the parameter in lower case: say: . ./scriptName pArameter #!/bin/ksh echo "`date` Entering $0 Reloading the $1 table " mname1=$1 (code to login MYSQL Database) Truncate table $mname1; exit ! Since now there is a limitaion of MYSQL that it accept... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ambarginni
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change first letter of a word from lower case to upper case

Hi all, I am trying to find a way to change first letter in a word from lower case to upper case. It should be done for each first word in text or in paragraph, and also for each word after punctuation like . ; : ! ?I found the following command sed -i 's/\s*./\U&\E/g' $@ filenamebut... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: georgi58
7 Replies
CREATE TABLE 
AS(7) SQL Commands CREATE TABLE AS(7) NAME
CREATE TABLE AS - define a new table from the results of a query SYNOPSIS
CREATE [ [ GLOBAL | LOCAL ] { TEMPORARY | TEMP } ] TABLE table_name [ (column_name [, ...] ) ] [ WITH ( storage_parameter [= value] [, ... ] ) | WITH OIDS | WITHOUT OIDS ] [ ON COMMIT { PRESERVE ROWS | DELETE ROWS | DROP } ] [ TABLESPACE tablespace ] AS query [ WITH [ NO ] DATA ] DESCRIPTION
CREATE TABLE AS creates a table and fills it with data computed by a SELECT command. The table columns have the names and data types asso- ciated with the output columns of the SELECT (except that you can override the column names by giving an explicit list of new column names). CREATE TABLE AS bears some resemblance to creating a view, but it is really quite different: it creates a new table and evaluates the query just once to fill the new table initially. The new table will not track subsequent changes to the source tables of the query. In contrast, a view re-evaluates its defining SELECT statement whenever it is queried. PARAMETERS
GLOBAL or LOCAL Ignored for compatibility. Refer to CREATE TABLE [create_table(7)] for details. TEMPORARY or TEMP If specified, the table is created as a temporary table. Refer to CREATE TABLE [create_table(7)] for details. table_name The name (optionally schema-qualified) of the table to be created. column_name The name of a column in the new table. If column names are not provided, they are taken from the output column names of the query. If the table is created from an EXECUTE command, a column name list cannot be specified. WITH ( storage_parameter [= value] [, ... ] ) This clause specifies optional storage parameters for the new table; see Storage Parameters [create_table(7)] for more information. The WITH clause can also include OIDS=TRUE (or just OIDS) to specify that rows of the new table should have OIDs (object identi- fiers) assigned to them, or OIDS=FALSE to specify that the rows should not have OIDs. See CREATE TABLE [create_table(7)] for more information. WITH OIDS WITHOUT OIDS These are obsolescent syntaxes equivalent to WITH (OIDS) and WITH (OIDS=FALSE), respectively. If you wish to give both an OIDS set- ting and storage parameters, you must use the WITH ( ... ) syntax; see above. ON COMMIT The behavior of temporary tables at the end of a transaction block can be controlled using ON COMMIT. The three options are: PRESERVE ROWS No special action is taken at the ends of transactions. This is the default behavior. DELETE ROWS All rows in the temporary table will be deleted at the end of each transaction block. Essentially, an automatic TRUNCATE [truncate(7)] is done at each commit. DROP The temporary table will be dropped at the end of the current transaction block. TABLESPACE tablespace The tablespace is the name of the tablespace in which the new table is to be created. If not specified, default_tablespace is con- sulted, or temp_tablespaces if the table is temporary. query A SELECT [select(7)], TABLE, or VALUES [values(7)] command, or an EXECUTE [execute(7)] command that runs a prepared SELECT, TABLE, or VALUES query. WITH [ NO ] DATA This clause specifies whether or not the data produced by the query should be copied into the new table. If not, only the table structure is copied. The default is to copy the data. NOTES
This command is functionally similar to SELECT INTO [select_into(7)], but it is preferred since it is less likely to be confused with other uses of the SELECT INTO syntax. Furthermore, CREATE TABLE AS offers a superset of the functionality offered by SELECT INTO. Prior to PostgreSQL 8.0, CREATE TABLE AS always included OIDs in the table it created. As of PostgreSQL 8.0, the CREATE TABLE AS command allows the user to explicitly specify whether OIDs should be included. If the presence of OIDs is not explicitly specified, the default_with_oids configuration variable is used. As of PostgreSQL 8.1, this variable is false by default, so the default behavior is not identical to pre-8.0 releases. Applications that require OIDs in the table created by CREATE TABLE AS should explicitly specify WITH (OIDS) to ensure proper behavior. EXAMPLES
Create a new table films_recent consisting of only recent entries from the table films: CREATE TABLE films_recent AS SELECT * FROM films WHERE date_prod >= '2002-01-01'; To copy a table completely, the short form using the TABLE command can also be used: CREATE TABLE films2 AS TABLE films; Create a new temporary table films_recent, consisting of only recent entries from the table films, using a prepared statement. The new ta- ble has OIDs and will be dropped at commit: PREPARE recentfilms(date) AS SELECT * FROM films WHERE date_prod > $1; CREATE TEMP TABLE films_recent WITH (OIDS) ON COMMIT DROP AS EXECUTE recentfilms('2002-01-01'); COMPATIBILITY
CREATE TABLE AS conforms to the SQL standard. The following are nonstandard extensions: o The standard requires parentheses around the subquery clause; in PostgreSQL, these parentheses are optional. o In the standard, the WITH [ NO ] DATA clause is required; in PostgreSQL it is optional. o PostgreSQL handles temporary tables in a way rather different from the standard; see CREATE TABLE [create_table(7)] for details. o The WITH clause is a PostgreSQL extension; neither storage parameters nor OIDs are in the standard. o The PostgreSQL concept of tablespaces is not part of the standard. Hence, the clause TABLESPACE is an extension. SEE ALSO
CREATE TABLE [create_table(7)], EXECUTE [execute(7)], SELECT [select(7)], SELECT INTO [select_into(7)], VALUES [values(7)] SQL - Language Statements 2010-05-14 CREATE TABLE AS(7)